ZSR Forums
April 29, 2024, 12:30:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: MM: Question & Answer Thread  (Read 205038 times)
BottlesFTW
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #165 on: September 29, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »

Well the difference is a a lot more than "a bit harder" for me. I just bashed three megaflips in a row on the gamecube version and generally get them once every two or three tries, went back to PAL VC and with 20 bombs couldn't get a single one. it seems whenever i get the timing that would result in a megaflip on the gamecube version, link just recoil flips instead gaining no height or distance as ISG is on. Personally i think the timing is just a lot harder on PAL 'cos i was getting them instantly on the gamecube version unless there's someone who's consistent with megaflips on the PAL version who begs to differ.
I used to be consistant with megaflips on PAL.
Childlink9999
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2011, 11:49:44 AM »

you aren't playing at the same speed as you would be on gamecube so your timing is off

well i've always played on PAL VC so my timing for things like HESS was PAL timing, i only played on gamecube to see if i still can't megaflip on that version.

I used to be consistant with megaflips on PAL.

Fair enough then i guess i have no idea then, if i'm the only one who has trouble with PAL megaflips must be something i'm doing.
BottlesFTW
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2011, 02:18:30 PM »

well i've always played on PAL VC so my timing for things like HESS was PAL timing, i only played on gamecube to see if i still can't megaflip on that version.

Fair enough then i guess i have no idea then, if i'm the only one who has trouble with PAL megaflips must be something i'm doing.
Well, I was already well practised with the megaflip timing because I had played GC before my disc broke, then I had to go to pal vc. It's very possible that the backflip is frame perfect on pal; that might be the trouble you're having with it. I can't be bothered going to test it, though.
Amphorce
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2011, 10:00:14 PM »

Im having some trouble doing the 8 explosive gbt bk skip. Im not sure what im doing wrong, so i recorded a vid of me trying to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da_GLJcYgOo&feature=youtube_gdata_player I keep landing in that room everytime i try to do this.
BottlesFTW
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #169 on: October 23, 2011, 10:23:17 PM »

Im having some trouble doing the 8 explosive gbt bk skip. Im not sure what im doing wrong, so i recorded a vid of me trying to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da_GLJcYgOo&feature=youtube_gdata_player I keep landing in that room everytime i try to do this.
It's because you're not unloading the big wheel room.
The backflip at 00:20, you need to make sure you're holding back during it. Also, you should be higher at that point before you do the backflip; end your 5th hover earlier, or you wont get to unload the main room.
weonx
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2011, 07:40:52 AM »

completely new at this, ok so i was wondering whats the best version to play this on. i have the 64, i guess its good enough right?

also i can find how to do the backflip onto the clocktower as a deku on the first cycle

dont laugh

thnks in advance

playe
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2011, 01:18:48 PM »

Depends on who you're talking to, all versions are almost the same  (I say this 'cause GC has a few random glitches that're fixed but don't effect speed-running and 'cause JPN N64/VC have major differences to the US version.) just with differences in lag and loading time with the exception of VC which has screwed up sensitivity. (Yet it has the least amount of lag and loading time so generally this is the fastest version.)

I personally am probably going to prefer the N64 version of the game once I get it in a few days so I'd encourage people to play on N64.

And there's actually two methods of getting up there, one with a backflip and one with a Gainer.
weonx
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2011, 08:00:13 PM »

thank u so much playe much appreciated Smiley
BottlesFTW
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2011, 09:47:27 PM »

The best version to play on for Majora's Mask is the Virtual Console version because it is the fastest version. If you play any other version, your time will be worse. (Not by too much, though. For example, you lose about 1-2 minutes in an any% run)
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2011, 11:05:38 PM »

VC is the fastest version of MM to speedrun on, but the sensitivity on the control stick is really bad compared to on N64 (aiming and ESS are generally considered way harder on VC than on N64). VC saves about 1 minute and 30 seconds in an any% run (obviously not exactly that since lag is variable, but that's the closest estimate we have for right now).

For those curious about the 1:30 figure:
-37 seconds from loading times (0.3 seconds per loading zone on average with 125 loading zones in the current any% route)
-23 seconds from cutscene lag (darkeye timed this a while back)
-About 10 seconds from faster text in first cycle (this is nowhere near exact since slight differences in mashing speed could make up to 1-2 seconds difference here)
-11 seconds from faster unpauses (N64 unpauses are always exactly 19 input frames longer than VC ones). This is assuming you use a lot more pauses than N64 for lullaby skip ISG or don't buffer it on either (VC would generally want to advance 1 frame at a time since the unpause is so fast that the game's video output can't keep up with it)
-Around 12 seconds from explosion lag (this is a horrible estimate; explosion lag is extremely variable and the number of explosives used can vary. I assumed about 1/10 second explosion lag based on timing a few and taking the average and assumed 120 explosives used which is the max you would ever use in the current route. Obviously 12 seconds is probably a huge overestimation.)
-The rest of the lag is negligable, since faster playing can easily cancel out the tiny bit of lag there is (deku palace can be done just as fast on N64 as on VC despite all the lag there for example), and VC actually lags MORE in some areas such as Zora Cape.

I timed all of this VERY extensively in Sony Vegas over the past few months (with the exception of the explosive lag obviously), so it should be pretty accurate. If someone knowledgable like darkeye wants to look this over, go ahead; it's always possible I missed something.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:27:52 AM by ING-X » Logged

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
Kaztalek
Special Guay

« Reply #175 on: December 03, 2011, 12:22:12 AM »

the best version of mm to use is the one you feel comfortable with, as the time differences aren't very noticeable and don't make much of a difference in races

* ZFG sets mode: +b *!*@m2k2-41FE9128.tampfl.fios.verizon.net
* KlydeStorm was kicked by ZFG (I'll destroy you)
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #176 on: December 03, 2011, 01:03:21 AM »

Yeah, I really doubt MM VC is ever gonna make that much of a difference outside of segmented runs and ILs. Even in single segment runs, an improvement is usually gonna be way more than just a minute and a half in gameplay quality over the previous run, so either way the run with better play quality will win out. Even if an improvement is less than 1:30, it'll probably be lower enough that we can safely say it's not a better run. MM VC is not anywhere near the overpowered monstrosity people used to make it out to be. Hell, OoT VC probably saves way more time than MM VC does, and people still manage to compete no problem in OoT with N64.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:05:45 AM by ING-X » Logged

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
weonx
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #177 on: December 03, 2011, 10:59:36 PM »

thanks for all the imput guys, im only starting to learn the bomb hover glitches in this game. Im not really aiming to have a good speedrun time since im only begining, but i guess i can get a hang of the game mechanics just fine by playing the 64 version.
weonx
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #178 on: December 16, 2011, 02:43:28 PM »

yeah another question

does anybody know any tutorial vids for how to HESS and MEGA FLIP? or if anybody want to explain them to me step by step Sad sickest moves but i think im trying to do them wrong Sad

basically what i try to do is roll into the bomb and get it to hit me on the last (2?) frames of my roll and mash A.
D U F I
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #179 on: December 16, 2011, 04:41:13 PM »

You don't want to be megaflipping until you know everything else and to do a hess you have to roll on the first blue frame after the 6th flash and hold the ess position and then press z after a second
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: