ZSR Forums
March 29, 2024, 06:13:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 57
  Print  
Author Topic: Tricks/Glitches/Timesavers topic  (Read 616979 times)
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2013, 01:14:21 PM »

Hi, I don't have this game, but I was watching Zander run it and he accidentally did something similar to Collection Delay in OoT. When you pick up a key with a hookshot and mash A after he grabs it, Link will do a grabbing animation instead of holding the key over his head, delaying the CS. If you pick up a bomb during this time it can delay it even further, probably until you throw the bomb since Link's hands are busy. This would make sense since in OoT you can delay collection by holding a bomb over your head. Might be worth looking into, here's a link:

www.twitch.tv/zandergothsrl/b/484994986?t=369m30s

EDIT: also, forgive me if this is known.

EDIT: another example from the same run:
www.twitch.tv/zandergothsrl/c/3344546?t=118m50s

I tried collection delay with bombs myself, and just like I suspected in the IRC, if you're holding a bomb, the key seem to just land on you, as you can't pick up keys when holding a bomb.
However, you can clearly see that he is delaying the collection with his grab animation in the 2nd example.

And here's a small timesaver in HoG
http://youtu.be/Puo-sPs_JOo
Basically you just hit the switch with your sword instead of using a spin attack (may be slower? idk)
but the main thing in the video is the fact that it's possible to pegasus slide over to the stairs so that you don't have to re-enter the room.

Edit:
Another small timesaver in HoG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPjRPAhmQYM
I don't really know why this happens, so I can't get it to work every time. But basically sometimes you can fly past the floor switch so that you don't have to use the 2 fans in the upper left section of the room.
I guess this'd save 1-3 seconds, mostly useful in IL runs. But if someone can get it to work every time, I don't see a reason not to do it.

Edit2:
I looked into the collection delay a bit more.
So, like I said earlier, if you hold a bomb, it doesn't delay the pickup, the key simply land behind you instead.
I used this in Hera to move the key in 3F to 2F. It required me to do the bomb pick strat twice.
Then I jumped down to 2F. The key will fade away like all other objects from 3F, and re-appear at 3F again.
However, I tried it a second time landing directly on the key in 2F. That way it doesn't have any time to despawn before I pick it up.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6440063/albw/key_on_wrong_floor.jpg
This really doesn't do anything interesting at all. It's not like it dupes the key or anything.
Just figured that I'd post my result here in case anyone else had similar ideas.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:06:21 PM by CloudMax » Logged

Roadagain
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »

Edit:
Another small timesaver in HoG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPjRPAhmQYM
I don't really know why this happens, so I can't get it to work every time. But basically sometimes you can fly past the floor switch so that you don't have to use the 2 fans in the upper left section of the room.
I guess this'd save 1-3 seconds, mostly useful in IL runs. But if someone can get it to work every time, I don't see a reason not to do it.

I tried to fiddle around with this a bit while practicing some other stuff, and the only thing I came up with this was that it seems to only work (Or work more often) when you hold down/diagonally down-right. Other directions might work too though.

I feel like there's some amount of control you have while on the wind, just not enough to be meaningful in normal gameplay. So it might be simply related to your position and the direction you're holding.
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2013, 04:12:43 PM »

I tried to fiddle around with this a bit while practicing some other stuff, and the only thing I came up with this was that it seems to only work (Or work more often) when you hold down/diagonally down-right. Other directions might work too though.

I feel like there's some amount of control you have while on the wind, just not enough to be meaningful in normal gameplay. So it might be simply related to your position and the direction you're holding.

That's what I initially thought, but then I tried walk up on the switch from multiple directions, vertically, horizontally, diagonally, etc., and it seemed completely random to me. :/

jesmurf
Deku Scrub

« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2013, 05:55:31 PM »

I assume that it is common knowledge by now that you can get pushed up onto any surface with the use of a living armos/gargoyle as long as the Tornado Rod reaches up? (which is why I hate the fact that there isn't one in Skull Woods...)
I don't know if this is common knowledge as well, but it can be done with gargoyle statues as well. It's more complicated though as the need a very specific distance from a wall, and the ledge you need to climb, and you need something to damage boost yourself in there... I've only managed to make it work in Lorule castle. On 3F you can move one gargoyle as far in the bottom right corner as it will go, then move the other one left of it, with one square in between. If you then stand in that square and use the fire rod you'll damage yourself into a corner. if you then use the tornado rod you'll land on the ledge and you can drop down to merge with the wall on floor 2F and get to the fairy fountain... The normal way of getting there is way faster though, and I haven't found anywhere else to set up gargoyles like this and have it work.

I also found a way to almost clip into a wall in the thieves dungeon (forgot its name) if you set up the gargoyles in the 2nd room with one square in between, and the thief girl on that square, you can bomb damage yourself into the thief girl. Normally if this happens you'll pop out on her left or right side after the invisibility frames are over, but because you can't you can kinda clip behind her. if you then rapidly sword slash and move up you can almost clip into the wall, I even got damaged by the arrow in the wall that's on the other side... I don't know if this will be useful in any way. but maybe with the thief girl there's a way to clip into a wall somewhere else in the dungeon. Even then I don't know if that will serve any purpose, I'm just throwing the stuff I found out there.
Roadagain
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2013, 08:12:55 PM »

That's what I initially thought, but then I tried walk up on the switch from multiple directions, vertically, horizontally, diagonally, etc., and it seemed completely random to me. :/
I dunno. If it really depends on where the wind picks you up at, it'd be hard to be at the same spot every time. Which, of course, makes it relatively unreliable.

So, one thing that came up while I was roaming around was with the turtles you need to save to get to Turtle Rock.
The one that's stuck in the wall, I was able to swim to the place he appears at, which looked pretty weird, being half-merged with the turtle, but after the turtle left, Link fell through the water.

Now, that's another thing that's going to be 'never-useful', but it was interesting nonetheless.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2013, 05:53:19 AM »

Reason why collision in ALBW is goofy

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Hitaka
Regular Guay

Phoenix

« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »

Not much of a glitch, but the 5 rupee chest on the left room of Hyrule Castle 1F refills if you reset. I'm guessing they forgot to put its "opened" flag in the save file for some reason. Maybe because it's such a useless, seldom-seen chest. BUT, if there are any other chests like this, and they have big money in them and are near a save point, it could mean a farmable source of cash.

Life itself is that which is eternal.
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2013, 10:26:14 AM »

Not much of a glitch, but the 5 rupee chest on the left room of Hyrule Castle 1F refills if you reset. I'm guessing they forgot to put its "opened" flag in the save file for some reason. Maybe because it's such a useless, seldom-seen chest. BUT, if there are any other chests like this, and they have big money in them and are near a save point, it could mean a farmable source of cash.

Yeah, I saw this in that gamefaqs thread that people mentions in the IRC on occassions. I'd assume that they just overlooked it.

This is not really related to that chest, and I'm sure many of you, if not all of you, have already noticed that for some reason, they decided not to save many flags used for various switches and such in dungeons. In House of Gales for example. The switch in the entrance room, and the switch in the 1F main room that activate the fan that allows you to access the fan to 2F is only saved temporarily.
They seem to stay active, until you save and reload the file that is.
I found this specific example kind of odd, considering the switch in the bottom left room of 1F stay activated, so that you can just go in there and use the Tornado Rod in your next session. The question I keep asking myself is, why keep that one activated so that you don't have to go thru the entire room, and not the switch right right outside it, which would let you skip having to re-enter the other room every play session?
I don't really understand this decision?
There are a number of other locations that I can't think off from the top of my head where I've questioned why they decide to save some dungeon flags, and not others, especially when they do decide to save the ones which are less convenient.
I can't imagine that this is something they overlooked, they must've decided to simply not save some of the flags.

Hitaka
Regular Guay

Phoenix

« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2013, 10:30:23 AM »

That's pretty weird about the dungeon flags. The only ones I have an answer for are ones in the first room, like the hookshot thing at the start of Swamp Palace. Those are always reset so you can't enter the dungeon without the dungeon item. As for the rest, who knows.

Hitaka
Regular Guay

Phoenix

« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2013, 02:16:01 AM »

I checked every chest in the game and the only respawning one is the 5 rupee chest in Hyrule Castle. The 5 rupee chest on Ice Ruins B1 vanishes for no reason after you get it and leave, though. The chest on northwest B4 also vanishes until you hit the switch again, but it's still empty. Which dungeon switches stay hit or get reset seems really random.

mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2013, 05:54:56 AM »

Cloud, it's because you're not a game designer. In every dungeon that requires a specific item, the first room has a puzzle that can only be solved with that item. That puzzle resets when re-entering the dungeon to prevent the player from becoming trapped in the boss room without the item needed to defeat the boss.

Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2013, 10:24:59 AM »

Cloud, it's because you're not a game designer. In every dungeon that requires a specific item, the first room has a puzzle that can only be solved with that item. That puzzle resets when re-entering the dungeon to prevent the player from becoming trapped in the boss room without the item needed to defeat the boss.

This is not the case for House of Gales though. Hitting the switch requires no items. The item is needed to use the fans, which are activated by the switch.
I do however understand the idea. I didn't consider the fact that they did this in all dungeon entrances. In that case, it makes perfect sense.
It still doesn't make sense that they'd not store things such as the switch flag in the HoG Main Room that activates the fan in the bottom left of the room. After getting past the entrance room, you don't need any items to get back to that switch, so there's no reason related to requiring a specific item at that point, forcing you to re-hit the switch to make sure that you have the proper items with you.

And I still think I recall other similar cases in the game where various switches have to be re-activated, I can't think of any from the top of my head though, so I may just be making things up in my head without realising it. However, there is no explanation for saving the flag in the southwest room of 1F in HoG, and not the main room in 1F. I just don't see it.

Edit:
Saw the thing about the small chest in Ice Ruins. That's one of the switch flags I were thinking off. You have to activate it again, and it respawn an empty chest.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 10:31:09 AM by CloudMax » Logged

mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2013, 09:33:07 AM »

I mentioned in the irc the other that someone didn't have their stamina energy bar on Zelda Universe. They posted back with proof

http://bruceaking.com/Z.JPG

Braid
KingOfHeart
Special Guay

« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2013, 09:40:08 AM »

Weird glitch, but since they still have a limit of how often they can use the weapon, this glitch is very unhelpful.
I wonder how he got it though.
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »

Weird glitch, but since they still have a limit of how often they can use the weapon, this glitch is very unhelpful.
I wonder how he got it though.

Even if useless, It'd be totally sweet to record all glitch videos on a file with that glitch. Less UI blocking the view.
Sure, pointless in the speedrunning perspective (unless the glitch actually is achieved in a way that makes it faster. Imagine skipping the dialog introducing the energy bar, etc.), but a cool glitch nonetheless.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 57
  Print  

Jump to: