ZSR Forums
April 27, 2024, 04:40:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 59
  Print  
Author Topic: OoT / MQ - Question & Answer / Trick Help Thread  (Read 929687 times)
bobthegiraffemonkey
Deku Scrub

« Reply #750 on: December 17, 2013, 01:41:03 PM »

Until recently I always played on a PAL N64 and didn't have a problem with the skip. I followed the video on the main site (under 'dungeon strategies' > 'Deku Tree'). I time the jumpslash for the moment when the black appears at the bottom of the screen, then pull backwards after bouncing off the wall until I land.

It can be tricky, but keep going!
I appreciate the help, but that's not the trick I'm talking about  Tongue, it seems to be listed on the site here as 'jump to basement 2 ledge'. I might try to make a video of this and other (mostly silly) setups I have if/when I get this trick consistently by some means.
Jbop
Twenty-three is number one! Do you think I'm a traitor?

« Reply #751 on: December 17, 2013, 06:09:58 PM »

http://youtu.be/8Cxn00JsIxM

Quote from:  ZFG on March 24, 2008, 8:27:24 AM
Quote from:  Prognosis_4 on March 24, 2008, 8:25:50 AM
Why are you guys so certain it's possible?
Because its OoT.
Glozboy
Regular Guay

« Reply #752 on: December 18, 2013, 10:13:23 AM »

Just a quick one:

I'm working on the BOTW vine clip (the one where you slash the skulltula and climb down the vine).

When I pause buffer A to let go of the vine, do I also need to buffer 'down' or can I just do that on the next frame?

I don't know whether not holding down means that I regrab the vine too late.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:15:41 AM by Glozboy » Logged

Currently playing: Ocarina of Time (GC)
Working on: No RBA/WW
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #753 on: December 18, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »

Holding down on the next frame is fine.
BMC
Deku Scrub

« Reply #754 on: December 26, 2013, 01:44:55 PM »

Got two relatively basic questions.

I've seen a few references on here that you can hammer the 2-3-1 scrubs before Gohma, the shockwave from the hammer seems to trigger them all at once, I've tried a spinslash aswell as pcs carrying the hammer effect but its only the smash that uproots them. How am I supposed to stun the scrubs one by one with the hammer?

Second question is more straight-forward, I'm wondering if you can ever get enough height to hover from flat ground off an enemy attack. I've been trying to get gtg chus as child link on a fresh file for ages now and it hinges on a wolfos hover(which btw are death to hover from), I can manipulate the white Wolfos a little easier into attacking but my backflip doesn't give me enough height to stick. Is that an error with my timing or is a backflip never going to be enough?

Thanks in advance, I've hit a wall with this.

nathanisbored
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #755 on: December 26, 2013, 05:40:11 PM »

Second question is more straight-forward, I'm wondering if you can ever get enough height to hover from flat ground off an enemy attack. I've been trying to get gtg chus as child link on a fresh file for ages now and it hinges on a wolfos hover(which btw are death to hover from), I can manipulate the white Wolfos a little easier into attacking but my backflip doesn't give me enough height to stick. Is that an error with my timing or is a backflip never going to be enough?

Thanks in advance, I've hit a wall with this.

One backflip is never enough height on flat ground afaik. Even the tektite hover to fishing pond only works because the ground there slopes downward. Unless you can manipulate two attacks right in a row that can reach you, I doubt you can get in the air, but that seems TAS only if it's possible. If you need chus as Child but you don't have explosives, you can always get them from Bottom of the Well, Spirit Temple, or Ganon's Castle (via wrong warp). GTG chus only give you 5 chus anyway.
BMC
Deku Scrub

« Reply #756 on: December 26, 2013, 06:37:27 PM »

One backflip is never enough height on flat ground afaik. Even the tektite hover to fishing pond only works because the ground there slopes downward. Unless you can manipulate two attacks right in a row that can reach you, I doubt you can get in the air, but that seems TAS only if it's possible. If you need chus as Child but you don't have explosives, you can always get them from Bottom of the Well, Spirit Temple, or Ganon's Castle (via wrong warp). GTG chus only give you 5 chus anyway.

Yeah, I figured as much. There are actually 4 Wolfos that spawn in the room so I'll play around with getting hit twice, I'm not really doing this for routing, more-so for research. Thanks for the help.
9bit
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #757 on: December 31, 2013, 09:46:23 PM »

Does anyone have a link to a recent Any% guide. I'm mostly seeing a lot of out of date stuff. I know tricks can change / advance pretty quickly, but I'd love to learn some of the new stuff Pydoyks has been doing in his runs.

Specifically (from his current WR video)
  • How he gets the angle for the forest escape
  • How he does the super slide to get to Kakariko
  • And the steps to do the void warp (I think it's called that) to skip most of the castle escape

Thanks Cheesy
slipdude
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #758 on: January 05, 2014, 01:36:47 AM »

I've been practicing for a week or so now, and I have a few questions:

1. After Pokey Escape, and after you get the Ocarina, why do we do a WESS off the fence to get into Kakariko before nightfall? I understand it's to skip the owl text, go faster, get there before nightfall, etc... but why? What does the drawbridge closing to Hyrule have to do with Kakariko?

1a. Let's say you miss the WESS (jump slash messed up, whatever). If it turns night, what do you do from that point? I ask because as a new runner I quite often miss the WESS, and I just reset the run which is fairly annoying. I'd like to know what to do if I miss it and it turns night just so I can continue.

2. I can do both methods of B1 skip perfectly fine (when you throw the Deku nut to stun the spider), but once the web is broken and I side hop left, I have no idea what the correct frames are to slash. Is there an indication? I read it's the curve in the web but the web curves in a lot of spots.
Jbop

« Reply #759 on: January 05, 2014, 02:10:56 AM »

1. Going faster before Kakariko means you have more time after Kakariko to get to the bridge (since time runs in Hyrule Field but not in Kakariko).

1.a. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz290VUgQkw The bridge does not close until it is loaded (i.e. you get too close or look at it)

2. It depends upon the setup, so unfortunately its kinda hard to explain  Sad

Because its OoT.
nathanisbored
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #760 on: January 05, 2014, 02:11:53 AM »

I've been practicing for a week or so now, and I have a few questions:

1. After Pokey Escape, and after you get the Ocarina, why do we do a WESS off the fence to get into Kakariko before nightfall? I understand it's to skip the owl text, go faster, get there before nightfall, etc... but why? What does the drawbridge closing to Hyrule have to do with Kakariko?

1a. Let's say you miss the WESS (jump slash messed up, whatever). If it turns night, what do you do from that point? I ask because as a new runner I quite often miss the WESS, and I just reset the run which is fairly annoying. I'd like to know what to do if I miss it and it turns night just so I can continue.

2. I can do both methods of B1 skip perfectly fine (when you throw the Deku nut to stun the spider), but once the web is broken and I side hop left, I have no idea what the correct frames are to slash. Is there an indication? I read it's the curve in the web but the web curves in a lot of spots.

Are you talking about any%? why are you getting the ocarina? You can still make it in before night without skipping the owl if you're fast enough after failing the wess (or just don't even go for the wess).

The castle doesn't matter for any%, since you don't go adult or get zelda's lullaby or anything, but you still have to get into kakariko before night to get the cuccos to appear.
slipdude
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #761 on: January 05, 2014, 02:47:10 AM »

Sorry, I should have mentioned it's for MST. I now know that you need to get there though before night for the cucoos to appear, so thanks for that! If you can get in fast enough after failing the WESS, that's good as well.

As for the B1 skip, here's a very quick video. Am I doing anything terribly wrong here? Too early? Too late?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUeyIrJ__PE
Jbop

« Reply #762 on: January 05, 2014, 02:54:58 AM »

Way too early. I guess a rough cue would be you want to js so that the sword hits the wall under where the white web ends up (if that makes sense).

Also, not only does the jumpslash timing depend on the setup, it also varies depending on when you sidehop off the web. Since you're using this setup, this video might help explain it a bit more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87eaH1aXETg

Because its OoT.
slipdude
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #763 on: January 05, 2014, 03:38:43 AM »

Way too early. I guess a rough cue would be you want to js so that the sword hits the wall under where the white web ends up (if that makes sense).

Also, not only does the jumpslash timing depend on the setup, it also varies depending on when you sidehop off the web. Since you're using this setup, this video might help explain it a bit more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87eaH1aXETg

That helped very much, thank you! I get the skip way more consistently than before. The end of the web cue worked well. I also came up with one of my own (well, maybe others use it) but when the web-break success sound-clip JUST finishes, that's when I go for the JS.

slayerkid13
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #764 on: February 08, 2014, 04:24:14 AM »

found something small and idk if its known yet, it allows you to get a heart piece early.

all you need to do is go to kakariko as child, climb the tower, and then sidehop off the top to the left and hold left, and you grab the fence, then you can just jump to the roof and get the heart piece from the guy up there.

i dont think this would be useful for anything except maybe bingos, but its kinda cool.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 59
  Print  

Jump to: