ZSR Forums
April 28, 2024, 08:41:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 59
  Print  
Author Topic: OoT / MQ - Question & Answer / Trick Help Thread  (Read 929804 times)
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #735 on: December 08, 2013, 12:39:58 PM »

Now I'm not sure is talk of softmodding is prohibited (if so, my apologies), but is softmodding a Wii hard to do?
Everyone has different ways of running the JP version on their Wii.

You can try this topic. Don't try things unless you're sure what they do. If you have any further questions, you should ask them in that topic, as this topic is for trick discussion. Smiley
Scurvy Mcgee
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #736 on: December 11, 2013, 05:10:54 AM »

Hello everyone. First time poster with a few questions. I'm not much for speedrunning but I enjoy using glitches as a means to explore the game. (I work as a designer and QA professional in real life so this is totally in my wheel house.)

Anyway, managed to do a lot of the major Forest Escapes except the WESS, which I'll work on. That was yesterday and it was really fun! Today was DoT skip and I finally managed it after a while. I'm pretty sure my issue was that my sidehop was a bit off. Interestingly, I can't do it buffered. Go figure.

But now I have some questions:

1. I didn't get a bottle before doing the skip, mostly because I wanted to see if I could actually do the skip. This means I am bottleless until I manage to make it back to child Link, yes?

2. I didn't get early Chus. So I'm a bit lost on what I should do for bombs because my goal in terms of getting back to child Link was to use the knife clip. What's the most expedient way to do this? Can I even do this? I admit that I haven't played this game in quite some time so it's hard for me to sequence things in my head. I am watching runs to help me out though.

3. On the subject of bombs, I'm getting pretty solid at SS with a single bomb but I've noticed that botching a SS attempt seems to lock my action icons (C items, sword) from being used. This is a result of letting the bomb damage me?

4. And finally, getting to the DoT skip, I was curious how people generally went about the roll into the sidehop. Getting the clip while using my thumb proved tricky but if I mash with my index finger, I'm far more likely to succeed. Is this common? Does it matter?

Sorry to drop silly questions. I read through a lot of the thread and it definitely helped me with my DoT skip so thank you all! This is all really interesting and I want to keep exploring. I'm just wondering how gimped I am from rushing straight to the skip.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #737 on: December 11, 2013, 07:05:03 AM »

1. I didn't get a bottle before doing the skip, mostly because I wanted to see if I could actually do the skip. This means I am bottleless until I manage to make it back to child Link, yes?

Yes. Three bottles can only be obtained as a child, the fourth requires a bottle, and all bottle duplication tricks require having a bottle in the first place.

2. I didn't get early Chus. So I'm a bit lost on what I should do for bombs because my goal in terms of getting back to child Link was to use the knife clip. What's the most expedient way to do this? Can I even do this? I admit that I haven't played this game in quite some time so it's hard for me to sequence things in my head. I am watching runs to help me out though.

It's possible. Your best option for Bombchus is to collect 10 skulltulas to obtain the Adult's Wallet, then buy them from the flying carpet salesman. You can get to Gerudo Fortress with Epona, or either the Hookshot or the Longshot, but getting across with the hookshot is almost inhumanly precise. To get across the desert, you're suppose to use the Hoverboots or the Longshot to get past a spot of quick sand, but you can just pull of a certain backwalk to get across.

Also I recommend checking out http://zeldaspeedruns.com/oot/generalknowledge/items-and-power-ups, and not because I wrote most of it. It has a bunch of general information on all the different items in the game (like chu locations), all in one place.

3. On the subject of bombs, I'm getting pretty solid at SS with a single bomb but I've noticed that botching a SS attempt seems to lock my action icons (C items, sword) from being used. This is a result of letting the bomb damage me?

A failed superslide attempt can put you into a state where you store what is known as a ground jump. It's not because of the bomb damaging you. When this happens, simply sidehop or backflip: This will trigger the stored ground jump and you'll be able to use your c-items/sword again.

4. And finally, getting to the DoT skip, I was curious how people generally went about the roll into the sidehop. Getting the clip while using my thumb proved tricky but if I mash with my index finger, I'm far more likely to succeed. Is this common? Does it matter?

Don't know, but I expect someone else will have the answer.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:07:00 AM by mzxrules » Logged

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Scurvy Mcgee
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #738 on: December 11, 2013, 07:18:33 AM »

Thank you for the prompt reply! I eventually realized I was storing ground jumps. I just never knew that could come from a failed SS. Thanks, too, for the link. I'll make use of it. This is a really interesting way to explore the game and I only hope I can continue to learn.

I feel like getting to the carpet merchant might be a bit tricky but not impossible. I guess I'll head that way.
Glozboy
Regular Guay

« Reply #739 on: December 11, 2013, 03:14:01 PM »

This is probably a dumb question, but is Navi dive possible on the GC version?

I can't seem to nail it, but it might be because I'm holding the C-stick up after the jumpslash.

I would play N64 instead but I don't know the PAL setup for megaflips.

Currently playing: Ocarina of Time (GC)
Working on: No RBA/WW
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

I'm an artist :O

« Reply #740 on: December 11, 2013, 04:20:25 PM »

Yeah, just mash C up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pedalpowerluigi

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol
Scurvy Mcgee
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #741 on: December 12, 2013, 02:40:50 AM »

So, got my Bombchus by going through Gerudo Valley. Even made my way through the desert without the lens for fun. My goal is to get back to child Link since I'm just sort of exploring. Have the Giant's Knife, practiced that clip and I'm stoked that it's really easy. I just need the Hover Boots. I can do the set up to the Chu slide in the graveyard. I'm just having difficulty with getting the SS. I think the issue is the roll going into the chu.

Let me know if I'm wrong here but I take out the bombchu, I walk back slowly, I hit R holding it while I also do the roll (mashing A like a madwoman as well)? Keep hold of R the whole time.
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #742 on: December 12, 2013, 06:24:49 AM »

You want to tap up before you pull out the hookshot for the final backflip. Just mash A and you do the sideroll without having to use the control stick.

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol
Scurvy Mcgee
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #743 on: December 12, 2013, 06:11:05 PM »

Thanks. The pretty much made all the difference. Getting success here the majority of the time. Oddly, I have trouble walking the seam even though I have ISG but the important thing is that you just made the SS like, 90%.

EDIT: Totally got it. Thank you so much!

EDIT Pt. Two (Revengeance!): I see the Sheik is blocking the MS pedestal... I guess I have to do the Forest Temple. If I get my route here confused, let me know. I think it should go Dodongo's for bombs and then to the Forest temple. Using bugs on the switch to have extra time to reach the door in Dodongo's comes after getting the bomb bag, yes?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 04:03:04 AM by Scurvy Mcgee » Logged
bobthegiraffemonkey
Deku Scrub

« Reply #744 on: December 15, 2013, 03:58:38 PM »

Can anyone help me with the precise jump B1 skip on PAL? Right now if I fail B1 skip I climb the web and try the jumpslash anti-grav again. I've put a lot of effort into trying to get this to work and I'm just frustrated now.
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #745 on: December 15, 2013, 04:52:37 PM »

Can anyone help me with the precise jump B1 skip on PAL? Right now if I fail B1 skip I climb the web and try the jumpslash anti-grav again. I've put a lot of effort into trying to get this to work and I'm just frustrated now.
It might not work on PAL, because the roll distance is different. Honestly, I would not bother playing on PAL and switch to NTSC asap.
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #746 on: December 15, 2013, 07:48:21 PM »

Or switch to GC PAL if you have either the Wind waker or collectors edition disc. Of course it has horrible load times and bad ESS position but its better than having to buy a wii and softmod it....

Lol
bobthegiraffemonkey
Deku Scrub

« Reply #747 on: December 15, 2013, 09:57:25 PM »

To clarify, I'm a casual speedrunner (it's my secondary hobby) in the UK with an old N64 (I do also practice on emulator) and I don't want the hassle of changing to NTSC. I know the jump is possible, but the standard setup doesn't seem to be useful. I just wondered if anyone happened to know a good setup for the trick for PAL. I'll probably keep working on it myself too, and might eventually find something.

It has sometimes been fun playing on PAL, I had to work out different adjustments for the Ganondoor glitch.
nathanisbored
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #748 on: December 16, 2013, 04:57:34 AM »

I would just stick with emulator. Nobody here seems to take PAL stuff very seriously unfortunately.
Glozboy
Regular Guay

« Reply #749 on: December 17, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »

Until recently I always played on a PAL N64 and didn't have a problem with the skip. I followed the video on the main site (under 'dungeon strategies' > 'Deku Tree'). I time the jumpslash for the moment when the black appears at the bottom of the screen, then pull backwards after bouncing off the wall until I land.

It can be tricky, but keep going!

Currently playing: Ocarina of Time (GC)
Working on: No RBA/WW
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 59
  Print  

Jump to: