ZSR Forums
May 01, 2024, 07:40:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: thoughts on banning PJ64 entirely from zsr leaderboards?  (Read 64011 times)
LightSpeed
Deku Scrub

You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Email
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 07:48:44 PM »

This would be an interesting idea actually. The whole purpose of ZSR as a site is to help new people get into speedrunning Zelda games; that's why we have pages about different tricks and a leaderboard that doesn't require you to post a video to submit a run. It might also be helpful to provide an emulator, since we want the barrier to entry as low as possible.

as long as the emulators and roms chosen by ZSR are standardised and available to download on the website without too much trouble - it's pretty legit.

And everything's going to the beat.
Njordr
Deku Scrub

God of the Winds and Seas

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 08:22:17 PM »

thoughts on this subject?

[...]

---------------

Nothing is actually planned here, just discussing this topic. I only ask that you do so in a civil manner.
What are your thoughts?

If people weren't using emulators for several years now, then maybe.

Myself being a new runner (that still hasn't done a run) I wouldn't say ban them from leaderboards, just keep them as their own category. I do agree that there's a bit too much variability in emulators to be able to group them with regular consoles, but there are reasons good enough to keep them valid for runs. Besides, most crappy to decent PC builds nowadays shouldn't really have any issues running PJ64, so I don't know about that either.

It's also becoming more and more difficult nowadays to come across an N64 or an iQue without buying them online for a pretty penny (S+H may or may not be included), so emulators especially help out people that can't actually afford that kind of stuff. And as jbop + others have said, VC also falls under the emulator category, even if it's a Nintendo-built one.

Also, how was the dip?

Exodus122
Regular Guay

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 09:38:20 PM »

I don't think banning emulator is a good idea. As far as I know, emulator is slower for every category and has no real advantages. The fact that it runs at 60 instead of 59.94 seems more than offset by the long loading zone times (1.5-2 seconds longer than vc). Many people prefer playing on emulator because they like the ability to use a different controller. Obviously it should continue being banned to play on 1.0 for 100% runs on emulator (in fact, you could just make emulators for all categories run on version 1.2 to make it more similar to VC, which would be a good idea in my opinion). Force everybody to use default settings on pj64 1.6/1.7 and remove their run if there is evidence of them using custom settings. Also, many people run on emulator and will be discouraged if it's banned, as you said. I don't think it is an issue for these reasons.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:40:38 PM by Exodus122 » Logged

Pheenoh
Site Editor
Special Guay

Locked in cafde's basement

Email
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 11:44:31 PM »

I'm for banning emus (innacurate ones, at least). If you aren't willing to fork out the cash to enjoy your hobby, find a different hobby. Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:19:51 AM by Pheenoh » Logged

<yashichidsf> tompa should default be a mod on everything related to srl
<yashichidsf> while i'm not a big fan of modding bots, i think tompa is really well programmed
ahou
Regular Guay

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 12:13:57 AM »

I agree with banning all emulators, until there's one that isn't absolute garbage. That includes wii vc. When the day comes that we have a reasonably accurate n64 emulator, i think it would be fine to accept it, but none of the current n64 emulators are any good at all.
Pokey
Special Guay

also pheenoh <3

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 12:22:36 AM »

people in top 10% of categories should be required to play on console imo. emu isnt consistent. look at the intro of tokyoboi's any% run. its like 2 seconds faster than other runs both on VC and emu.

also fuck keeta

I for one think that there are no glitches in OoT. It's just gameshark codes.

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.
Geno
Deku Scrub

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 12:36:21 AM »

ban that shit
cafde
Site Editor
Regular Guay

FrankerZ

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 01:42:11 AM »

Nothing is stopping people from running on emulator if they can't submit it to the leaderboards. If the lack of the option deters potential people from speedrunning the game because they can't submit their 25:31 any% time on emulator then so be it. I think almost everyone agrees that at the highest level of play that official versions should be required. The goal of a leaderboard shouldn't be to include everyone and their brother who picks up a controller (and playing a game they don't even own).

It's pretty obvious if someone is cheating on n64 or vc, but there's always small things that can be changed in emulator that people won't necessarily notice. Leaderboards should move toward standardization.

Jbop
Twenty-three is number one! Do you think I'm a traitor?

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 02:13:51 AM »

It's pretty obvious if someone is cheating on n64 or vc, but there's always small things that can be changed in emulator that people won't necessarily notice.

I agree with banning PJ64, for the main reason being that it is not an official version of the game, there also exists the issue with rom hacking.

It seems like people underestimate how easy it would be to cheat on console; it's something you're always going to have to deal with.

Maybe it would be an idea if ZSR provides an emulator. This could then just be PJ64 1.6/1.7 with the right settings. This emulator then has to be used from now on. Perhaps we can also modify it, to hardcode the settings or something. Obviously people can then still trick you, but at least it would make things more uniform.

I think this is a good idea. It's kinda what I was suggesting with PJ64 1.6 since there are fewer settings to change.

Quote from:  ZFG on March 24, 2008, 8:27:24 AM
Quote from:  Prognosis_4 on March 24, 2008, 8:25:50 AM
Why are you guys so certain it's possible?
Because its OoT.
nathanisbored
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 03:04:15 AM »

I'm for banning emus (innacurate ones, at least). If you aren't willing to fork out the cash to enjoy your hobby, find a different hobby. Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips sealed Undecided Kiss Cry

The goal of a leaderboard shouldn't be to include everyone and their brother who picks up a controller (and playing a game they don't even own).
ZSR is supposed to be a site to help new people get into speedrunning zelda, whether they are serious or not. That's the reason the site has pages of information all about it.

This attitude directly contradicts that.

people in top 10% of categories should be required to play on console imo. emu isnt consistent. look at the intro of tokyoboi's any% run. its like 2 seconds faster than other runs both on VC and emu.

This is a nice idea as well.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:06:04 AM by nathanisbored » Logged
DeathBasket
Regular Guay

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 03:28:24 AM »

thoughts on this subject?

pros:
- pj64 is inaccurate (graphical bugs, different lag amounts, game crashes etc)
- pj64 requires special rules in place to avoid it overtaking legit versions (for example banning the 1.0 rom but not the 1.2 rom)
- pj64 1.6/1.7 run at ~60.00 fps instead of ~59.94 fps. I compared a timelapse of hyrule field and PJ64 is faster here than VC, but only slightly
- more people switching to running on official releases
- don't have to deal with the clusterfuck of custom emulator settings/plugins affecting run time
- cheating via memory watching is no longer possible (without a lot of expensive hardware at least)

1. same for VC/Gamecube though but no one seems to care
2. rules like this shouldn't exist anyway
3. idk
4. imo 'official' shouldn't matter as much as playing on original hardware - vc is just another inaccurate n64 emu like pj64
5. comparable to people using wad injects to save on reset times (yes it happens)
6. cheating is very much possible and easy on any platform except iQue (maybe) right now

Honestly, I don't think emulators should be banned. However, I don't think emulator times (including Wii VC and Gamecube because let's not forget that they're emulators too) should be compared on the same leaderboard as/directly to hardware times. We speedrun N64 games but nobody plays on N64 anymore because 'it's slow' - the fact is other versions are only faster because of inaccurate emulation (except iQue which has slightly different hardware). It's kind of sad really. I understand that not everyone wants to go and buy an N64 though and VC does sometimes feel 'nicer' to play on, which is why I don't think emulators should be banned.

I don't think people are going to be willing to change their opinions on this though. imho there would be literally no problem if there were an 'official' leaderboard for hardware times and another for emulator times.
cafde
Site Editor
Regular Guay

FrankerZ

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 04:07:16 AM »

ZSR is supposed to be a site to help new people get into speedrunning zelda, whether they are serious or not. That's the reason the site has pages of information all about it.

This attitude directly contradicts that.

No, it's not contradicting. People can still learn and do whatever runs they want on emulator, I just think that if they want to submit their runs it should be on an official version instead of an inaccurate unofficial emulator.

nathanisbored
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 04:25:38 AM »

No, it's not contradicting. People can still learn and do whatever runs they want on emulator, I just think that if they want to submit their runs it should be on an official version instead of an inaccurate unofficial emulator.

I'm still not sure... it just seems like it's creating another artificial barrier that would just intimidate people more if they don't get to participate in a meaningful way.

The whole "official" thing is a bit arbitrary too. I personally think running on emulator feels a bit icky, and I understand the fact that it's not an intended platform for playing the game. But if you want to go that route, then it's also not "intended" to do 99% of the tricks and skips you see in a speedrun, so idk. On principle emulator feels wrong, but it's not like ZSR is an "official" leaderboard, and the benefit of allowing emulator runs for newcomers outweighs that principle imo.

Banning emulator seems like the simplest solution at this point, but I'm definitely more interested in the compromises people have offered. As DeathBasket said, I don't think anyone is going to change their stance drastically, but I also don't think the issue needs to be black and white. All I know is the last thing I want is to antagonize people because they don't have access to the "best" version of the game, because that's an incredibly arbitrary barrier and that sort of peer pressure should NOT be a part of speedrunning.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:38:27 AM by nathanisbored » Logged
Pheenoh
Site Editor
Special Guay

Locked in cafde's basement

Email
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 04:26:38 AM »

If the people it's discouraging from participating in the community have such ideas about speedrunning (approving of innacuracate times), then great.

EDIT:

The whole "official" thing is a bit arbitrary too. I personally think running on emulator feels a bit icky, and I understand the fact that it's not an intended platform for playing the game. But if you want to go that route, then it's also not "intended" to do 99% of the tricks and skips you see in a speedrun, so idk.

Is this a joke? holy shit lmfao
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:30:44 AM by Pheenoh » Logged

<yashichidsf> tompa should default be a mod on everything related to srl
<yashichidsf> while i'm not a big fan of modding bots, i think tompa is really well programmed
nathanisbored
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 04:35:03 AM »

EDIT:

Is this a joke? holy shit lmfao

Well it was a stupid thing that popped into my head. I don't really believe this tbh
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: