ZSR Forums
April 24, 2024, 10:43:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Required Items to Beat OoT  (Read 6058 times)
512: loadMemberContext(): member id 1 not previously loaded by loadMemberData()
File: /var/www/html/smf1.1/Sources/Load.php
Line: 969
Spaceyace
Deku Scrub

« on: January 12, 2012, 05:47:19 AM »

Alright, I know there are a few Items that are REQUIRED to beat OoT.

(at any%)

One of them being Light Arrows/bombs/bottle/Kokiri Sword/Master Sword/etc.

I was going to start my own lets play of Ocarina of Time but Do it in a very strange way;

3 Hearts/No Upgrades (Except Gold Scale)/No Hylian Shield/Reversed Order
Reversed Order:
Zora
Goron
Kokiri
Water Temple
Fire Temple
Forest Temple
Spirit Temple
Shadow Temple

Thats the order I want to do them in, and I know you need certain items from one temple to get others, (Bow/Slingshot/Bombs) But I have ways around that.

So, Is it possible? Second, Is the Hylian Shield Absolutely Required? Third, Will this be hard as hell?
Kimimaru
Regular Guay

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 08:09:04 AM »

If you do Jabu first then be sure to pick up the BOTW chus unless you're using a Deku Shield and want to do the sword + shield only switch trick in the beginning. If you get them, be sure to save some because they will be useful for the other dungeons. If you don't want Bombs, beat Dondongo's Cavern first with chus only so you can buy more. You'll also need Zelda's Lullaby and an ocarina for the Shadow Temple unless you want to do a ridiculous 50 Chu hover boss key skip (GC version only). I can't think of all the items you'll need off the top of my head but if you really don't want to get the Hylian Shield I suggest getting the Mirror Shield as soon as you can so you can do hovers, megaflips, etc.

Then again, you can always RBA some stuff and get rid of them when you're done using them, unless you don't want to use them at all.

To answer your questions, I'm not 100% sure if you NEED the Hylian Shield if you get the Mirror Shield, but it'll certainly help a ton. I do believe this is possible, and it seems like it'd be a fun challenge. Maybe not the hardest one (I don't think I'll ever do low % MST again), but if you don't know all the dungeon tricks and aren't the best at explosion techniques (hovering, megaflips, etc.) I can imagine it will be painful.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:16:33 AM by Kimimaru » Logged
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 08:24:05 AM »

I'm not a complete expert at OoT (mostly because I haven't done just about any of the tricks I'm about to mention), but I know plenty of tricks so I know what can be done, just not how hard everything is. This run will be as hard as you want to make it as you can pretty much beat the dungeons in any order you want, and can cut a number of dungeons short by skipping their boss keys by touching the boss room loading trigger (A trigger that's always active regardless of what room you're in).

The Kokiri Sword can be skipped.  Traditionally it has been obtained solely for the purpose of the Door of Time skip, but a swordless method was discovered this year. Getting past Mido without the sword or shield can be done with bomb hovering and probably some aqua hess. However in this instance you'd probably end up trading the Kokiri sword for Deku sticks, and you probably don't want to have to deal with Deku Sticks.

The biggest arsenal you have in this game are hovers, so the first thing you should work on is getting bombchus from the well. Aquaescape is a really cool way to get to Kakariko fast, and it's super easy to do. From there you just go straight to Kakariko, do a Cucco dive or something to enter the well.

The objective of the well is to unload the main room via walking while talking so to be able to enter a crawl hole that would normally be flooded, enter and leave the "Boss" room to re-load the water, and then perform a vine clip to fall OoB into the water, then swim your way to the bombchu chest without getting trapped in an unloaded room.

From there you can backtrack to Zora's Domain. There are a number of ways to bypass the waterfall. You can either do I think a megaflip?, or you can do an OoB trick to avoid loading the waterfall segment of Zora's River.

The Gold Scale isn't necessary at all. The Ruto bottle can be skipped with some neat looking tricks, and I'm almost certain that cutscene dives replace any need for the iron boots or gold scale.

Jabu Jabu's Belly can be beaten with just the sword, shield, and boomerang. The boomerang is mandatory for defeating Barinade.

One thing you may consider doing is completing the Great Deku Tree and Dodongo's Cavern as an Adult. Technically you can also beat Jabu as an Adult, but getting inside his belly requires the most absurd trick ever. Wish it was as easy to do as the 3ds version.

The Great Deku Tree as an Adult may or may not require fire based weaponry, I can't remember. If there's a way to get by the first basement web, I think it might be a vine clip trick off the long vine spanning the basement/first floor. The Hylian Shield and the Deku Shield aren't required I don't think, but if you're restricting your dungeon access to the order given, then I'm almost certain you need either one to get past the 231 room, as the Mirror Shield will break the scrub's deku nuts.

I can't think of any potential bottlenecks for Adult Dodongo's Cavern other than the eye switch rooms with the ring of fire(s). I'm pretty sure you can use either some jump slash tricks to get by.

For Adult Dungeons, Water first is actually not as tough as you would think, due to the fact that you can do a Boss Key skip to shorten the level down to 2 rooms. If you don't decide to do boss key skips, it's probably living hell to beat it without Iron Boots. Furthermore, there is at least one eye switch, so you'll have to work your way around it.

Fire before Forest is Zelda Universe easy as absolutely nothing in the dungeon requires arrows. The Fire Temple's boss key skip can be done somewhere in the room that you obtain the Megaton Hammer. The Megaton Hammer is required to defeat Volvagia.

Forest is another two room dungeon thanks to the Boss Key skip. The hookshot/longshot can replace the bow and arrow beating Phantom Ganon, but I'm not sure how spirit works without the bow. I believe Ganondorf requires using RBA if you skip the bow.

Spirit and shadow temples don't exactly depend on one another in any interesting way. Spirit doesn't require hoverboots, and invisible monsters can be Z-Targeted without the Lens. Instead, their difficulty will depend on what items you obtain during the run. Reaching the Spirit Temple without the Longshot or Lens of Truth is a little tricky. The Longshot is normally used to cross the first sand trap, so you have do a trick where you backwalk across the edge of the quicksand and sidehop just as you get across so you don't go out of bounds. Desert without lens requires good eyesight and memory.

The Spirit Temple is a really interesting dungeon as there are two ways to enter it, and you can completely skip the silver gauntlets if you want. This temple has a boss key skip as well, but it's incredibly risky do last I heard.

The Shadow Temple can be entered without din's fire. You can either hover up to the ledge around the graveyard, or pull of a special superslide hover deal that allows you to sort of teleport in mid air to where you can just jump to the ledge.

I'm probably missing a lot of important stuff.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Kimimaru
Regular Guay

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 06:57:34 AM »

mzx, vine clipping doesn't work as an Adult. Instead, you can break the first web in the Deku Tree and quickly backflip off it. Then, you can do a megasidehop using a bomb or deku baba to unload the basement floor and get to Gohma.

For the water temple, all you should need are bombchus for the boss key skip, and the hookshot is useful but not required for Morpha (you might as well get it for the forest temple, though). This video can help you with the boss key skip, although there is a slightly easier way to do it, but I can't find the video.

I might actually try this run and check for you.
Kimimaru
Regular Guay

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:31:24 PM »

Sorry for the double post, but I'd like to mention a few other things. To beat Jabu first you just need a Sword, Shield, Bombchus, and the Boomerang. The Bombchus are needed for skipping King Zora and useful in Jabu, but you can substitute them for Ruto's Letter and the Silver/Gold Scale, which you need to get Ruto's Letter because it only lets you pick it up in the diving animation. While inside Jabu, the quickest path is to just get the Boomerang then megaflip to the switch that leads to the room before Barinade.

You might as well do the Deku Tree as a kid since it's just a savewarp away.

Since you're not getting the Adult's or Giant's Wallet you'll have buy more Bombchus as a kid.
Kimimaru
Regular Guay

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 07:28:37 AM »

All right, sorry for the triple post, but I actually completed the child dungeons of this challenge and it's pretty much a rearranged low % MST run, so if you're about as good as me then you'll have a hard time. After beating the child dungeons I have the following items:

Kokiri Sword
Deku Shield
Kokiri Tunic
Kokiri Boots
Boomerang
Bottled Bugs
Bombchus
Zelda's Letter
Zelda's Lullaby
Kokiri Emerald
Goron's Ruby
Zora's Sapphire

I'm missing magic, but I can always go and get that. It's better to beat the water temple and get the bow and Mirror Shield as a child since you can always get more bombchus. If you turn into an adult you won't be able to buy any more bombchus unless you get the Ocarina of Time (followed by Song of Time), Adult's Wallet, or the Hover Boots, but none of them are required to complete the game. If you ever need to use the ocarina just use ocarina items with your sword. Also remember to NOT get any magic containers until the Spirit Temple, where you'll need one for ISG.

If you do attempt this challenge, it'll be hard, but I wish you the best of luck!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:31:59 AM by Kimimaru » Logged
cafde
Site Editor
Regular Guay

FrankerZ

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 04:22:40 AM »

if you want challenge you might as well do mst low% or max% child/adult, or maybe any% no light arrow no hammer might be right up your alley.

TimpZ
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 05:18:04 PM »

if you want challenge you might as well do mst low% or max% child/adult, or maybe any% no light arrow no hammer might be right up your alley.

How would you do any% no light arrow? Ganondorf?

Why does adult Link have an earring?
Quote from: CinnabonChan
Because Rauru's a pervert. Leave a priest alone with a young boy in a seven year coma, who gradually grows into a handsome young man?

Yeah, that will end well. I'm pretty sure Rauru has a stack of kinky outfits he dressed Link in