ZSR Forums
April 18, 2024, 05:12:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to record a 3DS like a pro (Indirect cam method)  (Read 15924 times)
Greenalink
Special Guay

DS Dictator

« on: June 07, 2011, 07:46:44 PM »

Since the 3DS capture isn't going to be out for a while, and the lack of 3DS emulators makes this a tough challenge to show tricks (if there is going to be any) and/or changes shown on the 3DS version in good visual quality.

If you have seen any of my DS related videos you may have noticed that there isn't any shakiness when filming. This is because the camera is on a tripod. Funny thing is that the tripod I use is designed for camera shots (family photos, trips to see the great view, etc), but it does the job for my indirect (3)DS recording. I also connect the camera onto the big TV by using the basic composite which enables me to verifiy if the manual focus is adjusted correctly much more easiliy as Small LCD screen on the camera isn't fully reliable in my opinion. The other reason why I connect it to the TV is because:
I can use my HDD DVD Recorder that records more than 8GB (SD Card) or 60 minutes from a mini DV tape.

Unforunately I could have used a Firewire cable which works like USB in terms of transfering footage from Camera to PC but there's a small chance that it could drop frames during a live recording and the original source from my camera is Mini DVs and sometimes the camera loves to chew on the tape, destroying the original source.

I also film my DS sideways which sounds odd at first but it enables me to get both DS screens in one shot. I did submit both my SM64 DS and NSMB DS runs that was originally filmed sideways, Nate did the final touches on my published runs.

Sound can be directly recorded by using a 1/8th inch audio cable and you connect it from the (3)DS system's headphone port to the camera's mic port.

From there depending on the camera you may need to adjust the (3)DS system's volume to prevent high gain/stupidly loud audio.

To do: Video editing perhaps.

New DS PHAT Capture Device on its way (Sep 2011)!!!
More info:
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/3ds_capture_device_214.html

Yes I am a speed runner focused on DS games
Notable runs:
Phantom Hourglass
SM64 DS
New Super Mario Bros (DS).
UchihaSasuke
Special Guay

move over Chidori, time to spam infinite Susano'o

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:35:57 AM »

i'm going to be looking into this once i get OoT 3D since my dad has a camera and tripod.

"Patience is useful in any moment"

Youtube Account 1
Youtube Account 2
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 04:28:31 PM »

I ressurect you!
I would love a video editing section.
Or atleast some advices. The width of the video will obviously have alot of empty space. So I was thinking about using a layout like yours.
What program do you use to achieve it? Sony vegas?

Greenalink
Special Guay

DS Dictator

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:08:22 PM »

I use Adobe Premiere Pro 7* because I find the screen position based edits much easier than Sony Vegas.

I'm sorry I haven't typed up a guide on it because it's hard to word everything correctly and the effects navigation isn't the easiest.

* I would be using Pro CS4 and newer versions but my PC is getting old. I'm planning to get a new one that could handle direct capture card streaming, Desmume for TAS runs and possibly downloadable games via Steam.

New DS PHAT Capture Device on its way (Sep 2011)!!!
More info:
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/3ds_capture_device_214.html

Yes I am a speed runner focused on DS games
Notable runs:
Phantom Hourglass
SM64 DS
New Super Mario Bros (DS).
V92ify
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 05:27:51 PM »

It's what i use myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX0Un4S04iw

Youtube account

<RaceBot>: Samura1man was foolish and tried to pull the wool over our eyes !!!
--- sicko has banned ~r:87-94-227-220.bb.dnainternet.fi
*** Samura1man was kicked by sicko (sicko)
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 11:39:04 AM »

I go
1) lights off
2) get my sisters pink casio camera. Works pretty damn well for a welfare setup XD

The quality of your video's isn't that great really. The screens are blurry, and you move around the 3ds quite a bit. You can see lots of movement.

I would say that it is good enough though. I would be totally fine with recording in that quality if I didn't have anything better available.

DarkUGS
Deku Scrub

Ocarina Of Time 3D Glitches

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »

Hey cloud: Can i ask you if you like my recording method?

doommaker
Special Guay

The DoomJump....The most hated name of all time.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 08:33:36 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1AnYsfwkro

I just have the right camera I guess......
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: