ZSR Forums
April 27, 2024, 06:51:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are there no "glitchless" runs on ZSR?  (Read 18529 times)
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 07:44:51 PM »

Well here's the thing about Twin Galaxies. While they love to ban all of the fun glitches, they also seem to try and "save" horribly "broken" games. What pops in to my mind is their Super Mario Bros. points catagory. The Koopa Shell trick alone makes this catagory hilariously broken.

Now while SDA-ZSR haven't exactly gone to this extreme, there are already a few games that have bans on certain glitches. The two zelda related ones are the Underworld Glitch of Link to the Past, and the Screen Warping Glitch of Link's Awakening. Why is it OK to ban these glitches, and not go further than that?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:52:59 PM by mzxrules » Logged

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
RingRush
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 09:28:28 PM »

We don't ban those glitches on ZSR. On SDA, they are banned because they require hardware modification (brand new controllers can't do up/down, they need to be worn out first).

ded
Razor7581
Site Editor
Special Guay

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 09:52:31 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the only banned zelda glitch on ZSR is CD-streaming.

Rescue Tetra before FF1: is new to me. Did you just find this out?
Elminster
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 01:57:25 AM »

Crooked cartridge is also banned where it applies.

ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 02:43:42 AM »

We don't ban those glitches on ZSR. On SDA, they are banned because they require hardware modification (brand new controllers can't do up/down, they need to be worn out first).

So if a worn-out controller is considered hardware modification which is banned at SDA, then I'm pretty much fucked :3

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
AkiGrahamShitatsuchi
Regular Guay

Ner, just, Ner

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »

A glitchless run is a run without glitches.

Haters gonna hate.
Blizz:
So we wuz playin zelda 1 and Gannon wuz all "Rawr I stole ur prinzess and cut your magic triangle into 8 segments cuz i am a meaniepants" so then i wuz like "ok lol i'll see you in 45 minutez"
Chimpas
Regular Guay

Inlove with Twilight Princess

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 04:35:18 PM »

Inb4defineaglitch
A glitch is a short-lived fault in a system. It is often used to describe a transient fault that corrects itself, and is therefore difficult to troubleshoot. The term is particularly common in the computing and electronics industries, and in circuit bending, as well as among players of video games, although it is applied to all types of systems including human organizations and nature.
The term derives from the German glitschig, meaning 'slippery'
 A glitchless run seems booring, though trick doesn´t count as glitches right?

EDIT: WTF!! YAY!! I finally understand te difference between glitch and bug, both are failures but the glitch is exploited to get a better position cuz it doesn´t damage the system (just as Miyamoto said, "It's a FEATURE", an unintended feature) and the bug does damege the system
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:45:55 PM by Chimpas » Logged

RingRush
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »

Are people actually trying to define what is and isn't a glitch? It has been argued many, many times both here, in irc, on ustream, and on SDA, that glitchless runs have a lot of flaws and are not fit speedrun websites like this. Again, I won't go into the argument, because it has been done to death a million times in the past. Just use the search feature on SDA or check logs of #zelda if you really need to see sample arguments.

I understand the point of this topic was to create arguments, but I see too many people trying to create a definition for a glitchless run instead of fight against them, and it worries me. I thought the speedrunning community was beyond this. Mostly, I don't want to write five more essay-long posts on a topic that for the average SDA user is obvious.

ded
darkeye14
Regular Guay

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 03:12:17 AM »

Here is the fastest no glitch route. The game responds to every single action from you the best and most logical way that it can. Therefore, there are no glitches.

I guess I could explain this a bit further, but there's really no point; Runnerguy ended this discussion months before it had even started.

[18:38] <Sigless> darkeye is cute too

[18:45] <aleckermit> We get a free pack of cheetos with every vote too Smiley
[18:46] <bluemarth> in the uk we keep our foreskin
UchihaSasuke
Special Guay

move over Chidori, time to spam infinite Susano'o

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 09:16:16 AM »

a real glitch would be when the game crashes since it can't respond logically to something you're doing so it just goes "fuck this shit" and crashes.

"Patience is useful in any moment"

Youtube Account 1
Youtube Account 2
sicko
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »

because glitchess runs are dumb

<aleckermit> HEADSHOT BIATCH
<aleckermit> you just got OWned
<icanspoil> there's online goldeneye?
<aleckermit> DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
<aleckermit> Get yo ass outta Azaroth
Maxx
Admin
Special Guay

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 02:32:04 AM »

"Why are there no "glitchless" runs on ZSR?"

Because they are slower.  It's really that simple.
Chimpas
Regular Guay

Inlove with Twilight Princess

WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »

a real glitch would be when the game crashes since it can't respond logically to something you're doing so it just goes "fuck this shit" and crashes.
NONONO dude, that is a bug, because the system gets damaged and you canĀ“t continue the game, like when you map glitch and fall to a void, a real glitch is map glitch and jump into a void to get a loading zone, you take advantage off the failure.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: