ZSR Forums
April 27, 2024, 09:05:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are there no "glitchless" runs on ZSR?  (Read 18530 times)
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« on: November 12, 2010, 03:53:19 AM »

I'm not suggesting that we should have them. Actually I want to see if we can come up with solid reasons so that I can write a post for the forums that everyone can link to whenever someone mentions "glitchless" run.

So yea, why do you feel that "glitchless" runs are hilariously stupid?

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Epsilon
Regular Guay

Mind over Matter? NONSENSE, Logic over religion? k

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 03:55:14 AM »

there not as much stupid, as well... a waste of time
EDIT: and as you brought up before this wasting time is pretty stupid
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:57:46 AM by Epsilon » Logged

TASer for Speedzelda
Speedzelda: http://www.youtube.com/user/SpeedZelda
ZFG
Mega Guay

also pheenoh <3

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 03:57:21 AM »

Inb4defineaglitch

I for one think that there are no glitches in OoT. It's just gameshark codes.

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 04:03:02 AM »

Inb4defineaglitch

Couldn't ZSR define what is and isn't a glitch like Twin Galaxies does?

Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Paraxade
Special Guay

paraxade@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 04:12:42 AM »

http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/yet_another_oot_run4.html
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 04:33:32 AM »

Hrm, I like Cosmo's comment about the seemingly unendless grey area in OoT, not 100% sure if it completely combat's my "Let's be Twin Galaxies" statement.

Braid
Cadency
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 09:37:47 PM »

Hrm, I like Cosmo's comment about the seemingly unendless grey area in OoT, not 100% sure if it completely combat's my "Let's be Twin Galaxies" statement.
...................................... the fuck

<Armaggedon> I have to clear somethings up I was at ComboKing's house last night and I was the one who was talking to Keeta it wasn't ComboKing. When he left for the store he forgot to log out so I messed with his computer. When he came home I logged off of his computer and then when he went to bed
bluephantom340
Special Guay

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 10:38:45 PM »

someone has hacked into mzxrules' account

[13:57] <Kaztalek> Give me a week and I guarentee I will be a top 10 MM player.
[18:34:23] <ingx24> i suck at mm
http://www.youtube.com/user/ayumuhd
Razor7581
Site Editor
Special Guay

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 10:50:09 PM »

I'm not suggesting that we should have them. Actually I want to see if we can come up with solid reasons so that I can write a post for the forums that everyone can link to whenever someone mentions "glitchless" run.
Because there would be no true speedruns without glitches. The best best you could call a glitchless run is a playthrough.

Rescue Tetra before FF1: is new to me. Did you just find this out?
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »

It is literally impossible to define a glitch. Furthermore, it is impossible to play through a game without getting something that people would call a glitch.

Take Star Fox 64 for example. A lot of people bitched about the bonus point technique being exploited to get ridiculous scores that would be otherwise nowhere near possible, despite it taking more skill to use than to play normally. A few people decided to humor them and make "glitchless" score videos, and the conclusion was reached that this "glitch" to get extra points would actually happen BY ACCIDENT in these "glitchless" playthroughs.

The point is: A glitchless run is impossible. Testers will not catch everything, especially in older games, and the fact that people have different opinions on what is and isn't a glitch makes the term glitch literally impossible to define.

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
aleckermit
Mega Guay

back in green

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 12:01:58 AM »

To me, a glitchless run is playing a game directly as the official strategy guide instructs (minus the unneeded items like extra hearts, upgrades, etc). And yes, it's easy to define an unneeded item in a strategy guide. That way, you never do anything that might not have been intended by the developers. Using that definition it's easy to define glitchless run.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:06:43 AM by aleckermit » Logged

http://youtube.com/aleckermit

<@Swordless> Have you had this problem before? A game not starting until you cleaned it?
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 01:37:28 AM »

That wouldn't be glitchless, that'd just be natural route. In order to be glitchless, you'd have to also decide whether supersliding, megaflipping, etc. is a glitch. And you'd also have to reset if you accidentally activate a random glitch, even if it's just a tiny little thing that changes nothing (i.e. accidentally falling oob)

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
ZFG
Mega Guay

also pheenoh <3

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 02:25:36 AM »

And you'd also have to reset if you accidentally activate a random glitch, even if it's just a tiny little thing that changes nothing (i.e. accidentally falling oob)
In that case, its actually impossible to beat the game glitchless.  When you open sleepless waterfall as adult it "crushes" link because the game thinks its a child only cutscene, like what it dies when you get fairy ocarina as adult.

Maybe we can classify a glitch as anything we have in the OoT section (when its complete, of course) with a few exceptions here and there like basic fast strategies.

I for one think that there are no glitches in OoT. It's just gameshark codes.

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.
Elminster
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 05:03:34 PM »

I see this discussion has turned from stating why glitchless runs shouldn't be accepted to attempting to define such a run. All I can say is that I hope you guys are setting yourselves up for failure to prove a point.

ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 05:14:23 PM »

The point we're trying to make is that they are impossible to define. Everyone has different ideas of what such a run would be; it's an impossible gray area with no clear definition.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: