ZSR Forums
April 29, 2024, 12:34:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 59
  Print  
Author Topic: OoT / MQ - Question & Answer / Trick Help Thread  (Read 930194 times)
qwerty1605
Regular Guay

Fuck you

« Reply #525 on: May 26, 2012, 02:39:05 PM »

Item swapping owl skip is really hard, I myself have never done it and it wouldn't save much time in a console run if you got it. The only one that would possibly save time requires insane rupee luck so you can buy a stick and a shield. imo that is a trick that you shouldn't learn. As a new person I'd first learn Child dungeons (not WW route). Most people here would agree.

I'm gay
WallIsReflect
Deku Scrub

« Reply #526 on: May 27, 2012, 01:43:04 AM »

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll leave that trick alone for now then, since there are so many more important ones I haven't even tried yet.  I decided to try DOT skip for the first time today, and I've managed to do it a few times, but I still need a lot more practice so I can get the clip consistently.  I can WESS and do child super slides pretty well now, but it seems so much harder as an adult, like there's way less leeway with the timing.  I remember reading something about adult super slides being harder on the PAL version for some reason.  Not sure if it's actually true, but either way I'm planning to go NTSC, hopefully some time soon.  I'll probably have to relearn the tricks I do know when that happens.
Norkix
Special Guay

« Reply #527 on: May 27, 2012, 02:30:41 AM »

Is it bad that I have to pause buffer DoT skip, or should I just learn the timing for unbuffered?

11:17 <Cosmo>: It's hard to tell what ASAP means with todays sequence breaks
gamestabled
Site Editor
Special Guay

B e t A Q u e S t

« Reply #528 on: May 27, 2012, 03:47:39 AM »

Really, I'd say just buffer it because it's worth the consistency. Nearly everybody ever always buffers it, myself included, it's not bad.

when i grow up, i wanna be just like taylortotftw
qwerty1605
Regular Guay

Fuck you

« Reply #529 on: May 27, 2012, 04:44:31 AM »

It is actually faster if you do it in 1 pause buffer iirc because after the Master Sword cutscene your pause menu is on the item select screen saving time in your equips before you savewarp. There is nothing wrong with buffering it.

I'm gay
th3kuzinator
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #530 on: May 31, 2012, 06:15:28 AM »

So I just got into speedrunning this game the other day and I must say stealing the fishing rod is literally making me go insane. I'm using the "stand at the edge of the pond then dive and mash b" method so its not my version. I'm playing on project 64. Apparently this trick isn't considered very hard by most and I've been at it nonstop for hours and literally havn't been able to do it once so I decided to post here before I start yelling louder than runnerguy when hes drunk on stream.

Can someone give me any pointers? Anything at all?

The thought that had crossed my mind was that the emulation removes some sort of lag necessarily to pull off the glitch but I havn't seen anything posted on this topic.
TimpZ
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #531 on: May 31, 2012, 06:20:35 AM »

It works just fine on emulator. If the problem is that you can't get the glitch to work then you're not mashing hard enough and if it's the problem were you do cast but you do it normally then you mash for too long, there's a certain point where you have to stop.

I just mash maybe 5 times a second and then stop as soon as I see something happening. It's a several frames trick as far as I know.

You could watch this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkcRyOzMMCI skip to ~19 min
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 06:22:49 AM by TimpZ » Logged

Why does adult Link have an earring?
Quote from: CinnabonChan
Because Rauru's a pervert. Leave a priest alone with a young boy in a seven year coma, who gradually grows into a handsome young man?

Yeah, that will end well. I'm pretty sure Rauru has a stack of kinky outfits he dressed Link in
th3kuzinator
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #532 on: May 31, 2012, 06:45:33 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply. This might just sound dumb but I honestly think the gods have conspired against me or my game is broken or idk man. That tut is really helpful and I even tried pause buffering to make sure I hit B on the right frame. When I tried pause buffering it, no rod was thrown as all. When I didn't he just threw the the rod normally.

Luke
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #533 on: May 31, 2012, 04:14:02 PM »

One thing I do is hold my shield the whole time, after this trick is supposed to have worked, if I miss it, then it will immediately bring my shield out which keeps me from wasting time by casting it normally. I don't think it ever blocks the actual trick from working, but even if it does a small percent of the time, it might be something to try, if you've been trying the trick for hours without success.
cafde
Site Editor
Regular Guay

FrankerZ

« Reply #534 on: May 31, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »

Quote from: cafde
You want to press B on the first frame the water splashes from link coming out of the water, if you have trouble with it with mashing you can pause buffer to this frame. If you're casting the rod like normal you need to be deeper in the water.

and it's a one frame trick

HiipFire
Regular Guay

« Reply #535 on: May 31, 2012, 06:54:45 PM »

and it's a one frame trick
He said to pausebuffer.
Norkix
Special Guay

« Reply #536 on: May 31, 2012, 07:54:55 PM »

If you're playing on an emulator, get yourself a 1.0 ROM and you can do it by casting while using hover boots

11:17 <Cosmo>: It's hard to tell what ASAP means with todays sequence breaks
NoneOfAKindBen
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #537 on: June 02, 2012, 05:55:26 PM »

Hey, I'm having trouble with the "beating Ganon as Child" glitch. I can do everything up to after I Sword Ocarina on the blue warp out of the Deku Tree. I see by the videos I have watched, you have to pause buffer to get the right frame to end up at Ganon's Tower and not the Kokiri Emerald or pre-boss room. My problem is that I don't know what good pause buffering will do here. The pause buffering use is to slow things down to get the right frames for its respective glitch, right? If I can get to the door without being picked up by the warp to the Emerald, why do I have to pause buffer? When do I know that I have the right frame to wrong warp to Ganon's Tower?

I apologize for any redundancy, wrong terms or misunderstandings I have with this, for I'm new to speed running.

Thanks in advance!  Smiley
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

I'm an artist :O

« Reply #538 on: June 02, 2012, 06:57:30 PM »

I think the warp timer is still going so its stopped in a right frame by pause buffering and facing a right angle after that the door is opened at the right spot activating the warp+door at the same time somehow combining the deku tree entrance cutscene value and the Kokiri emerald cutscene value resulting to a warp when "mixed" with the door exiting. I dunno i just thought it like this so i might be completely wrong about it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pedalpowerluigi

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #539 on: June 02, 2012, 11:12:48 PM »

The reason for using pause buffering is to improve consistency for tricks that rely on frame perfect actions. With practice, one should be able to advance the game frame by frame with relative ease.

Sure you can guess, but if you get it wrong you can't just reload the save because the warp does not work if your last cutscene is the intro cutscene. You'd have to go out and watch the hyrule field intro.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 59
  Print  

Jump to: