ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:32:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Editing Guidelines and Tips  (Read 9222 times)
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« on: September 26, 2013, 06:31:45 AM »

Some simple stuff.

Pages are written in Markdown. You can find out what Markdown is at http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/.
http://dillinger.io/ has an excellent real time Markdown editor for getting a feel for the syntax.

Guidelines

Don't delete older tricks
There are too many reasons to list them all, but one of the biggest reasons is that having a variety of ways to complete a task will make it easier for a novice to get into speedrunning a game.

Move more relevant tricks toward the top of a page
If a new trick comes out that runners are more likely to use in speedruns, bingos, etc. list it first.

Always use short, descriptive headings; Do not number sections
If you're listing all the possible tricks/strategies to complete some task, do not start every heading with "Method 1...", "Method 2..." etc, or worse, simply refer to a trick as being "Method 1", "Method 2" etc. There absolutely no need for this, it looks terrible in the Navigation menu, and it needlessly makes it more difficult to re-arrange things. If you find a page that does this, fix it.

Use headings appropriately
  • Always start off at the ## or <h2> heading level when starting a topic (ex. Explaining a challenge), moving up to ### or <h3> and #### or <h4> when discussing a more specific aspect of the topic (ex. ### for a specific trick, #### for different variations on a specific trick)
  • Do not use the # or <h1> heading level.
  • The ###### or <h6> header is used for giving credit to a source for a trick or information
  • Do not use ## or <h2> tags just because you want a header to appear in the Navigation menu. That way if we ever improve the Navigation menu, we won't have to correct pages

Do not add To Do's to pages
Especially uncommented ones. If you want something done to a page but can't do it yourself, post about it in this sub-forum and maybe someone will help.

Capitalization Guidelines

Capitalize the name of tricks, npcs, items, places. Standard capitalization for N64 buttons:

A button, B button, C buttons, Z/L button, R button,
C-Up, C-Right, C-Down, C-Left, D-Pad, Joystick
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:04:24 AM by mzxrules » Logged

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

I'm an artist :O

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 01:42:35 PM »

The preview function seems to be broken for me, i'm on iPad so i'm not sure if it works on computer or something :|

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pedalpowerluigi

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 07:44:26 AM »

It's broken atm.

Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
nathanisbored
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 09:41:45 PM »

I was going to modify the Ocarina Items page to include bombs OI, so should I have one heading for "Bottle Method" and one for "Bomb Method" or what? I don't want to be too presumptuous, so I'm just asking first.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 05:28:10 AM »

The bottle setup and bombs setup would each be their own H2 level headers. How I'd do it would be

##Description

##Bottle Setup

##Bombs Setup

Braid
nathanisbored
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 07:27:16 AM »

Okay, I updated the Ocarina Items page, but my lists didn't come out as expected. How do I make each number/bullet point on a separate line? Sorry I'm so noob at this
Jbop
Site Editor
Twenty-three is number one! Do you think I'm a traitor?

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 12:44:23 AM »

I fixed it. You put two spaces at the end of a line for a line break Wink

Quote from:  ZFG on March 24, 2008, 8:27:24 AM
Quote from:  Prognosis_4 on March 24, 2008, 8:25:50 AM
Why are you guys so certain it's possible?
Because its OoT.
nathanisbored
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 01:43:38 AM »

I fixed it. You put two spaces at the end of a line for a line break Wink

i thought I tried that haha. okay thanks, i fixed the rest

EDIT: Actually, I still can't seem to get bullet points to work, but I guess the page works as is...

EDIT 2: Neeeevermind, I'm stupid.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:41:19 AM by nathanisbored » Logged
benstephens1000
Site Editor
Special Guay

I'm the worst

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 08:17:25 PM »

I was wondering if there are anyways to delete pages that are no longer relevant as well as entire categories. For instance, I'm cleaning up the oot3d pages and there really is no reason to have the Boss Time Attack page there anymore as most of the times are inaccurate and not at all up to date, as well as people no longer really care about boss time attack. This is also the only page in the "Speedruns" category, so I was looking to get rid of that entire category as well.

"tsmart yashichidsf wild dumb bitch" -Isaacordorica 2012
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 03:40:50 AM »

This is possible for full admins i guess?

Braid
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

I'm an artist :O

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 09:13:50 AM »

Would be cool to also be able to move the locations of the pages so things like the dungeons are in the right order, although I'm not sure if that's possible.

Oh and ben, switching DJ to H/LJ is a clean up? >_>

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pedalpowerluigi

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol
benstephens1000
Site Editor
Special Guay

I'm the worst

Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 03:37:12 PM »

I've been making a lot of very large changes to the pages, going through each individual one to clean up bad terminology as well as add the necessary information and reorganize them so trick are listed in a neater fashion, usually with more important thing towards the top, if you were wondering,  Toast. Honestly the name doom jump was bad and I felt it had to be changed after discussing it with others.

"tsmart yashichidsf wild dumb bitch" -Isaacordorica 2012
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: