ZSR Forums
April 19, 2024, 11:54:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Playing the instruments  (Read 5522 times)
TimpZ
Regular Guay

Email
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:13:28 PM »

So I was playing around with the ocarina and being a musician, I started to map out the notes on it. I noticed that playing it right, you can play a full C4-scale with added notes C#4, D#5 and E5. That's more than plenty to play music with, especially if you e.g. modulate the sound an octave down to do bass lines.

I noticed that in Mupen64, you can map 5 combinations of buttons, so I mapped a piano with vibrato on two heightened notes and made this:

Though it's a shame I don't have a full two octave reach which is "required" to play most melodies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUU_m4lN2YM

So what do you think? Any one else care to try? Don't bother with the trumpets though, they're horribly out of tune to the 440Hz standard... Around 20 cents or so, unless you care to modulate it.

Why does adult Link have an earring?
Quote from: CinnabonChan
Because Rauru's a pervert. Leave a priest alone with a young boy in a seven year coma, who gradually grows into a handsome young man?

Yeah, that will end well. I'm pretty sure Rauru has a stack of kinky outfits he dressed Link in
Blazing Factor
Regular Guay

Explosives, a speedrunner's best friend.

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 01:37:43 AM »

That was pretty awesome! Cheesy

Ha! OoT glitches in SSBB still work! Grin
TimpZ
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 04:14:56 AM »

ohmygosh >_<! I forgot you could play halfsteps by using the L/R buttons!! I'll remake it later :p.

I think I might do a C4 link and another C5 link too that I modulate, so that I can play the whole tune as it is. But my original thought was to just play what you could in the game :/. Any ideas?

Also, I'd like to use more combinations of buttons so that I have the whole scale on my keyboard (need atleast 8 of them i think). Anyone know how to do this? The kind of emulator doesn't really matter as long as it works good if there's no Windows macro I can use Smiley.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:33:58 AM by TimpZ » Logged

Because Rauru's a pervert. Leave a priest alone with a young boy in a seven year coma, who gradually grows into a handsome young man?

Yeah, that will end well. I'm pretty sure Rauru has a stack of kinky outfits he dressed Link in
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 05:33:57 AM »

Maybe someone could make a cheat that allows you to go up/down an octave.

Or just a cheat engine for mupen in general.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
TimpZ
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 06:19:00 AM »

No, I've solved it. Here's what I do:

First I record what I want in Mupen64 (not TAS, that would get me offbeat and take too much time), then I record that into AVI with fraps.
Then I take the audio from it using AoA and modulate it with Audacity. Then I overwrite the new audio to the video with WMM.

When I've done that, I just need to figure out how to edit up a movie to look good (like, small boxes that shows up when that specific Link plays or whatever)

It took me 4 hours but now I've got it down to a science!

Heres the notes for MM if you're interested. There's many duplicates but I prefer this setup because it contains the most amount of "naturals" (plain A and C) and all accindentals are sharps:

Legend:
^ < > v joystick
(^) (<) (>) (v) C-buttons
R - R button
A - A button

C4   vA
C#4  vAR
D4  A
D#4  AR
E4   ^A
F4     (v)
F#4   (v)R
G4      v(>)
G#4    v(>)R
A4    (>)
A#4    (>)R
B4    (<)
C5      v(^)
C#5     v(^)R
D5     (^)
D#5    (^)R
E5      ^(^)
E#5   ^(^)R

Also, some of the sounds seem to differ from version to version. In OoT PAL (VC) the ^(^) is a D# i think, and not especially in tune, but the MM ^(^) is, as you can see, an E5 in perfect tune. The trumpet v1.0 NTSC sounds horrible when I play it to something, but when I checked it with a sine-wave, it seemed to be in perfect pitch... I'll be back!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:26:46 AM by TimpZ » Logged

Runnerguy2489
Special Guay

I'm not your buddy, guay!

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 12:08:31 PM »

There are a lot of videos on youtube doing some fun songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8x9h-_OuJg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSUdU9rfeM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma7dck8bx00

You can find a whole bunch browsing youtube.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:10:45 PM by Runnerguy2489 » Logged

runnerguy your such a mother fucker. whats with all this bombchu shit? all everyone who likes this shit is stupid. ur a fucking cheater. u did that the wrong way, thats not how to get past the king zora u cheater. u suck and i wont continue watching all ur shit! videos.
TimpZ
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 12:40:56 PM »

Yea, but I think most of them are TAS'd or similiar. What I'm trying to do is to setup my control configuration as an actual piano and play it as if it'd be on the piano.

Right now I'm almost halfway of doing this mario song including both bass and treble notes. When I learn, I'd be able to play the saria song on request, or learn something on piano and then play it on ocarina.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2lwYh1eHXI

I'm providing others with the information via this thread if they want to do something similiar, but the main purpouse is for me to find out how to map 8 combinations of buttons so that I can complete my piano and not have to play with a 6-8 note scale

Kaztalek
Special Guay

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 05:01:20 PM »

"First I record what I want in Mupen64 (not TAS, that would get me offbeat and take too much time), then I record that into AVI with fraps."

utilities > movie > start avi capture

lmfao

* ZFG sets mode: +b *!*@m2k2-41FE9128.tampfl.fios.verizon.net
* KlydeStorm was kicked by ZFG (I'll destroy you)
TimpZ
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 05:17:12 PM »

"First I record what I want in Mupen64 (not TAS, that would get me offbeat and take too much time), then I record that into AVI with fraps."

utilities > movie > start avi capture

lmfao

Have you tried Fraps and compared it to the built-in method?

I couldn't get it to work... No matter what formatting method and graphical plugin I used, the codec would just get corrupted. Besides, the capture took at the very least ten minutes per recorded minute while Fraps is just as fast as a normal playthrough. And I get this quality with Fraps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKp7NZEka74

Actually, the first time I recorded that with the built-in method, it took me 10+ hours! And I have an i7 2,9GHz processor etc.! I know, it's probably something wrong I do somewhere, but I still prefer Fraps...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:19:12 PM by TimpZ » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: