ZSR Forums
April 27, 2024, 04:50:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Majora's Mask Any% SS/RTA  (Read 56575 times)
Nightwing
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 02:29:28 AM »

I would say skip them, only because megaflipping in Stone Tower is ultra-shitty.
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 11:19:38 PM »

I got a 1:53 today on N64, 15 seconds faster than Jiano's run. It was nearly perfect up to lullaby skip, but then I got fucked over by the wind and from there everything went downhill. I'm definitely going to redo, but if you're interested in watching it I have a ustream recording of it.

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 03:48:09 PM »

Alright I'm comfortable with megahovering up stone tower so it'll be in my run now. I edited the route to incorporate this by skipping the bomb shop trip BEFORE climbing stone tower (rather than the one after) which avoids silly nejiron luck manipulation altogether and is probably faster all on its own. I figured out that I'm MUCH more consistent at the megahovers if I wait for the smoke to clear after doing a megaflip (this dramatically lowers the amount of lag).

It's only a matter of time now.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 03:50:33 PM by ING-X » Logged

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 09:52:11 PM »

Alright sorry for the triple post but this is pretty important.

As you all know I am extremely indecisive and can't decide whether to do this run on N64 or VC. VC has the obvious advantage of being 2-3 minutes faster due to less lag and faster loading, but I'm far more comfortable with N64 and play better on it. Furthermore, N64 has the advantage of HESS which will make the end product look much better.

Help? D:

BottlesFTW
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 10:14:24 PM »

Alright sorry for the triple post but this is pretty important.

As you all know I am extremely indecisive and can't decide whether to do this run on N64 or VC. VC has the obvious advantage of being 2-3 minutes faster due to less lag and faster loading, but I'm far more comfortable with N64 and play better on it. Furthermore, N64 has the advantage of HESS which will make the end product look much better.

Help? D:
IMO, speedrunning is also for entertainment, not just amazing time.
I'd sooner watch a run with cooler tricks than less lag.
Seriously, go N64.  Wink
Masterluigisw
Regular Guay

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 11:35:17 AM »

I don't agree. If you want entertainment, go make a TAS. A Speed Run consist of the fastest acheivable way to beat a game. So you mean since RBA on OoT isn't entertaining, you would rather make a Non-RBA run ? Cmon, same thing for Sm64, no BLJs ? Less lag and faster loading times are factor to be taken seriously if you want to do a REAL speed run, aka beating the game as fast as possible. If, loading times + less lag saves more time than what could be saved with HESS'es, than go for VC imho, if you aim for beating the fastest real time speed run to date. If you aim for SHOW OFF, then go N64. Hope I got my point across lol.

BottlesFTW
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 11:57:40 AM »

I don't agree. If you want entertainment, go make a TAS. A Speed Run consist of the fastest acheivable way to beat a game. So you mean since RBA on OoT isn't entertaining, you would rather make a Non-RBA run ? Cmon, same thing for Sm64, no BLJs ? Less lag and faster loading times are factor to be taken seriously if you want to do a REAL speed run, aka beating the game as fast as possible. If, loading times + less lag saves more time than what could be saved with HESS'es, than go for VC imho, if you aim for beating the fastest real time speed run to date. If you aim for SHOW OFF, then go N64. Hope I got my point across lol.
I thought somebody would say something like that.
Saying this in a better way, non-TAS is for showing off skill - I'd be far more impressed with cooler tricks than a couple minutes less lag.
That's just me, though.
Masterluigisw
Regular Guay

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 12:40:38 PM »

I thought somebody would say something like that.
Saying this in a better way, non-TAS is for showing off skill - I'd be far more impressed with cooler tricks than a couple minutes less lag.
That's just me, though.

As I said, it all depends on what you aim for, showing off skill while loosing time or optimising your run with the best time you could pull off. Anyways, that's just me we all got our own point of views. So I would say ing : go with what you think fits the best for you in order to save time.

Runnerguy2489
Special Guay

I'm not your buddy, guay!

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 05:09:21 PM »

So you mean since RBA on OoT isn't entertaining, you would rather make a Non-RBA run ?
Yes, in a heartbeat. I would also rather watch a non-rba run as well.

Always remember that speed is the first and foremost priority; side issues such as entertainment are secondary. You can include a neat trick that costs a second or two, but be warned that verifiers will see this as a negative, not a positive.
A quote from SDA though, which I think sums up what you are trying to say. Although it's not really a quote to live and die by, as you don't see many speedrunners going out and getting the japanese versions of games to have quicker text. 

I would do it on the N64 if that is what you are most comfortable with. The run should be about you having fun (That is why we play games, right?) and not about pleasing other people on the internet.

runnerguy your such a mother fucker. whats with all this bombchu shit? all everyone who likes this shit is stupid. ur a fucking cheater. u did that the wrong way, thats not how to get past the king zora u cheater. u suck and i wont continue watching all ur shit! videos.
Masterluigisw
Regular Guay

WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 05:40:33 PM »

Yes, in a heartbeat. I would also rather watch a non-rba run as well.
A quote from SDA though, which I think sums up what you are trying to say. Although it's not really a quote to live and die by, as you don't see many speedrunners going out and getting the japanese versions of games to have quicker text. 

I would do it on the N64 if that is what you are most comfortable with. The run should be about you having fun (That is why we play games, right?) and not about pleasing other people on the internet.

I completly agree with you. By rather non-rba I meant that you would sacrifice your speedrun's time to give entertainment while a speedrun defines itself by beating x game in an optimized time. Of course you would watch it since it's more entertaining than a RBA run. But if you wanna Make one, considering the entertainment for viewers is like setting an own limit to yourself. And none plays on NTSC-J majora's mask because the time you would save by faster texts would be lost by all the bugs that slows you down. It's not like NTSC-J OoT, it's way more horrible control wise.

Then again, it depends on what you care about : time or entertainment for viewers. And if you actually play Majora's Mask, you should have fun no matter how you wanna do your speedrun.

ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 07:37:58 PM »

Another thing to consider: I can easily beat jiano's 1:53 using N64 version even though he was on VC. Either way, SDA will accept an N64 run with better play quality over a VC one with worse play quality, even if the VC one is technically faster.

So I think I'll go with N64. I'm definitely gonna need a new controller before I can do that though, lol.

ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 06:38:03 PM »

Moved megahovers up stone tower to before GBT so it isn't so late in the run.

EDIT: Turns out flying zora is unnecessary too. I edited the route again to take that out. This should make that beginning much easier (no more stupid bullshit that wastes 15+ seconds if you fail it gg).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:37:21 PM by ING-X » Logged

ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 08:45:05 PM »

Alright, my new N64 controller came in the mail yesterday, and it's amazing (I can actually run full speed without having to push as hard as I can on the stick). My only problem so far is that it's still sometimes kind of a pain in the ass to turn exactly 180 degrees (although it's much better than my old one) and HESS is a bit harder since I'm used to having a gigantic deadzone on my stick. Fortunately I'm starting to get used to it, so expect a finished run within the next week Grin

ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 04:04:22 AM »

Sorry for the quadruple post.

I've eased up the route a bit, I think I made it a bit too hard for a single segment run to rely on (hence my constant resets). My route is now very similar to the WIP jiano wrote, with a few differences (mainly added HESSes). The main thing I had to cut out was the excess megaflips, which I've been failing a lot and have been actually LOSING time from rather than gaining time. I also cut the megahovers up stone tower (I can get it sometimes but I still fuck it up way too much to be reliable). There may be a few other differences from my old route but I don't think it's anything major.

I'm pretty sure a time of 1:52 or better (on N64) is submittable.

aleckermit
Mega Guay

back in green

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 07:22:49 PM »

Sounds good. Keep at it Ing hope you get a good run soon.

http://youtube.com/aleckermit

<@Swordless> Have you had this problem before? A game not starting until you cleaned it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: