ZSR Forums
April 27, 2024, 07:42:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Japanese Majora's Mask  (Read 60342 times)
darkeye14
Regular Guay

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 05:37:51 AM »

I messed around with Japanese v1.1 today. It's almost as crappy as v1.0, but it has two saving graces. Namely:
- You can use the Z-camera on top of the walls of Deku Palace
- Pirates' Fortress actually has music at night

I have yet to notice any other differences between J1.0 and J1.1. There are however, a few things I want to clarify and add to Jiano's original post.
Ikana ledge seems longer outside of the FF.
This is demonstrably false: comparing the ledge in J1.0 to the US version side-by-side, it is impossible for me to see any difference.

Can't break pots with crouch stab.
You also can't break them with ISG.

There are three other notable things that Jiano didn't document. The first is that Stone Tower has no music at night, even in J1.1 version. Consequentially, neither does Stone Tower Temple. Also, the Japanese clock says "0" instead of "12", and labels the Final Day as "Last" instead of "Final". The last notable thing is that you can instantly get from barred window in the Pirates' Fortress to the Hookshot chest.

With this in mind, it makes sense why the Hookshot chest is facing the opposite direction; it would be facing the player when he jumped down from the room above.

BIG UPDATE: It turns out you can Chu Hover against walls in J1.1; I'm just retarded. Another thing I forgot to mention is that both N64 versions keep track of the number of times you've gone back in time on the File Select screen, similar to how OoT keeps track of deaths.

I also played the Japanese GCN version of MM, and it's exactly like the American version, except with Japanese text. We Americans scoff at the GC version because it lags and crashes, but for the Japanese, it must've been a massive improvement, considering you can save your progress with owls and Zora swimming isn't so terrible.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:31:50 AM by darkeye14 » Logged

[18:38] <Sigless> darkeye is cute too

[18:45] <aleckermit> We get a free pack of cheetos with every vote too Smiley
[18:46] <bluemarth> in the uk we keep our foreskin
Elminster
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 05:54:07 PM »

You also can't break them with ISG.

Redundant fact is redundant.

bluephantom340
Special Guay

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 01:29:29 AM »

I forgot that this topic was here. Anyways, BA doesn't work on JPN.

[13:57] <Kaztalek> Give me a week and I guarentee I will be a top 10 MM player.
[18:34:23] <ingx24> i suck at mm
http://www.youtube.com/user/ayumuhd
darkeye14
Regular Guay

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 11:02:48 PM »

I made some pro-as-butts videos detailing every difference I've found so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6roKTYSAIZM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCVZe2fqc_c

Slowking
Regular Guay

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 10:15:27 AM »

CANNOT CHU HOVER ON GOD DAMN WALLS.
Can't break pots with crouch stab.
No PF music at night.
Don't know if you learned it in the meantime, but these two are actually related.

Power Crouch Stab does work in J MM. It's default power is 0 and with the power of 0 you can neither break jars nor explode chus while hovering. So you have to swing your sword first, to give it the power of 1.

I actually also only noticed that through darkeyes video.

I forgot that this topic was here. Anyways, BA doesn't work on JPN.
I'm wondering why? Can you maybe only get one HSW in a regular bottle at a time? If so that would mean they could have a counter at a fixed position in RAM, not realtive to the bbottle position like in U...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:28:08 AM by Slowking » Logged

14:10 MrGrunz: keep your ass close to him
14:10   MrGrunz: and nothing can go wrong
Swordless Link
Regular Guay

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 07:20:59 AM »

I've personally confirmed that wall hovering works in J1.0 exactly the same as it does in J1.1. You just need to swing the sword before activating ISG. The actual bomb physics appear to be identical between the Japanese and North American releases, and the only actual change is the way ISG works (which is because of power crouchstabbing).

<%Swordless> Klyde is just trolling
<KlydeStorm> ^
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »

I've personally confirmed that wall hovering works in J1.0 exactly the same as it does in J1.1. You just need to swing the sword before activating ISG. The actual bomb physics appear to be identical between the Japanese and North American releases, and the only actual change is the way ISG works (which is because of power crouchstabbing).

wait, really? why did we think wall hovering didn't work in J1.0 then O_o

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
darkeye14
Regular Guay

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 09:42:52 PM »

I think it didn't work for me because I tried to TAS it; back in the early days of version testing, I wasn't proficient with a keyboard, so I tried to do it in Frame Advance and couldn't get a wall-hover started. Now that I've become better, I tried it in real time, and it indeed works. Just another reason why I shouldn't be a TASer, I suppose.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake, Swordless.

mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 03:27:19 AM »

Bottle Adventure DOES WORK in MM J. However, the neighboring addresses seem to be mostly different. I haven't been able to figure out what they are.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
darkeye14
Regular Guay

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 12:25:20 AM »

I knew BA worked in Japanese MM, but like you, I was uncertain about its effects. Thus, I stated in my Youtube video that:
Quote from: My Version Differences Video
BA does not work in J1.1 as it does in the US version.
If you have any information about Japanese BA, please be sure to speak up; I'd really like to hear it.

On another note, I tried inject J1.0 into a WAD, but it's obvious that the ROM has serious compatibility issues. Here are some of the problems I've been having with it:
-Scenes with motion-blur or other advanced effects are rendered in almost complete darkness; what little color you can see is completely warped.
-Pausing the game causes the screen to go black and occasionally causes it to bring up an image from certain cutscenes (I had a picture of Skull Kid being hit by a bubble burned into my Start screen for a while).
-Unpausing the game randomly causes it to crash
-The so-called "Music Glitch" present in NTSC VC versions is multiplied ten-fold; the music hangs for more than a second when traveling between areas.

Because of these glitches, don't expect to see a J1.0 WAD anytime in the near future. Either Nintendo needs to release a more compatible WAD, or Wii64 needs to improve itself.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:28:59 AM by darkeye14 » Logged

ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 12:41:51 AM »

so the j1.1 rom works ok but the j1.0 doesn't? go figure

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
darkeye14
Regular Guay

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 05:26:06 AM »

I've been studying Japanese BA for the past few hours; here are my findings (I did all of my testing on Japanese v1.0):

Here is the result of putting HSW into a bottle on the Bottle 1 slot (the FF's are not there naturally; I hacked them in to make it easier to see what values the HSW was writing). The first row is always XX 00 00 00 XX XX XX XX, just like in the US version. Though the last four XX's seem completely random, I detected a pattern in the very first XX; if you wait around, its value always seems to increase. I know it is not linked to the in-game time, though, because playing the SoDT does not change it.

The second and third rows are also the same as in the US version; it's simply 00 00 00 00 70 17 00 00. The third row in the above picture looks different because I waited around before taking a screen-capture, which made the timer on the HSW count down.

The fourth row is something more interesting than the second and third rows. When you first catch the HSW, all eight bytes have a 00 value. However, when you press A to exit out of the text box, the last four numbers randomly change. When you dump the HSW, the numbers also randomly change.

The odd thing is that these results are not consistent among item slots. Here's what it looks like when you catch HSW in the Ocarina slot:

As you can see, this looks almost identical to American BA; it even has the lone 01 byte. Compare that to what it looks like when you put HSW into the Fierce Diety's Mask slot (trying to hack in FF's caused undesirable effects in the game):

There is neither a fourth row or a lone 01 byte. Even stranger, the first row always has a value of XX 00 20 00 XX XX XX XX, unlike the Ocarina and Bottle 1 slot above. Clearly, more testing is necessary to uncover the intricacies of Japanese BA, but I think this is a good start.

By the way, I think that the in-game timer exists as an unsigned long that begins at 00ADF1BC (as seen in the picture of the FD Slot BA). It's constantly increasing, it increases slower when you play ISoT, it jumps ahead when you play SoDT, and it pauses when you pull out the Ocarina, do Timestop, etc. What else could it be?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 05:51:48 AM by darkeye14 » Logged

Slowking
Regular Guay

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 12:38:50 PM »

Hmm we should definatly look into this some more and maybe even into the european version. If BA is different in the japanese version it might also be in the european one.
And maybe we can find some BA that is actually usefull...

14:10 MrGrunz: keep your ass close to him
14:10   MrGrunz: and nothing can go wrong
darkeye14
Regular Guay

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 04:35:16 AM »

I finally got around to recording some more videos. One of them is BA-related:

Zora Punch/Boomerang Differences
Mailbox Sound Differences
Bottle Adventure Discoveries