ZSR Forums
March 29, 2024, 01:19:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with japanese OoT on VC  (Read 5842 times)
helmert93
Deku Scrub

« on: January 15, 2016, 05:30:03 PM »

Hey guys. I've been trying to get the japanese version of OoT to work on my room mate's softmodded Wii. So far I'm able to open and run it from the Wii Menu, but the game is slow and laggy as hell, low framerate etc, basically unplayable (the sound in particular sounds as if it's been slowed down in a really bad program).

This is a breakdown of what I have done and/or tried so far, so hopefully some of you see where I have fucked up:
  • I downloaded a .wad, put it on the SD card and installed it with Wii Mod in the Homebrew Channel (I've tried 2 different wads so far, literally the only ones I could find).
  • I enabled the 'Allow all regions' setting (or whatever it's called) in the Priiloader startup menu.
It still had that laggy, crackling sound and framerate, so I read something about a TV video mode, and that I had to change that to NTSC, since I'm using a PAL TV. So at this point I'm suspecting my TV is the problem.
  • I went on the Wii settings and changed 'TV Type to 60Hz (480i), as that supposedly should fix it.
  • Didn't work so I tried the other setting: 50Hz (576i).
No go.

One thing I've noticed is that when I choose 60Hz (480i) and launch the game my TV automatically switches to 50Hz (576i), and as I'm aware there are no TV settings that can prevent this from happening (I've literally tried changing EVERY possible setting on my TV, including the sound options). So as you guys can see, I am absolutely clueless at this point, and I'm actually considering buying a new TV. I hope anyone here can give any pointers? Thanks in advance.
scaramanga
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 03:01:51 PM »

Somewhere there is already a thread about this.

The Priiloader setting only allows you to start NTSC games. However some of them (including OoT) lag. If you try with SM64 for example, you will see, it runs just fine.

The solution is to change the Wii's screen region with the AnyRegion changer. Please read more about this before you do it and don't touch any other option, because you might brick the Wii. Note that after doing this, you cannot boot PAL GameCube games without Nintendont (you can revert the settings of course).
helmert93
Deku Scrub

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 06:04:25 PM »

Thanks for replying.

Yeah I've been researching/googling around for a couple of days straight, and I suspected I had to install AnyRegion Changer. However, my roommate didn't want me to install it on his Wii, so I'm looking into buying and soft modding my own.

Btw, I tried SM64 NTSC-J and it ran just fine. Does that mean I don't have to worry about my TV not handling NTSC, considering it's PAL? I already asked the TV company about this, and they couldn't give me a straight answer (probably because it's kinda old). To my understanding it can since it displays 60Hz (480i) seamlessly, which supposedly is quite similar to NTSC to my understanding, but correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Thanks for the help, once again.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 06:14:35 PM by helmert93 » Logged
scaramanga
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 06:06:46 PM »

If your TV displays the game in color, it is both PAL and NTSC. If a PAL TV does not support NTSC, your game would be black and white.
helmert93
Deku Scrub

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 06:15:47 PM »

Ok thanks a lot for the help, I should have it all figured out by now Smiley
helmert93
Deku Scrub

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 12:51:37 AM »

Hey again. So I've gotten my own Wii, softmodded it (backed it up obviously), installed Priiloader, the OoT-J wad, and AnyRegion Changer. The problem now is that I can't change the Console video mode from PAL to NTSC, it only gives me an error:

Unexpected error: SYSCONF savechanges value -1017
Push any button to exit

I've researched how to fix this for about 5 hours now, but I'm clueless at this point. I read somwhere that I had to patch or change IOS36, but I have no idea how to do that, and no amount of googling has made me any smarter either.

Thanks again, all help is highly appreciated.

PS: I haven't touched anything in ACR except the Console video mode setting.
helmert93
Deku Scrub

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 01:35:15 AM »

Nvm! I installed IOS36 v1042 using Dop-Mii, and now it works!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: