ZSR Forums
April 29, 2024, 11:59:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Glitchless Big-Octo Skip Route/Rule Change  (Read 16845 times)
troblana
Deku Scrub

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2015, 01:31:47 AM »

I'm not sure what the intent of the category is, but to me I would see it as "beat the game collecting all medallions, stones and do the trials (mst) without using glitches/with a strictly limited amount of glitces(or bugs)"
I don't find a good reason for the story to be that relevant. This is not a "Let's Play%" category that follows and changes rules based on what could happen in "normal play" as I've heard argued previously. That's just me though, and it's kind of irrelevant, but I just thought I'd throw this out there.

And skipping large parts of dungeons using tricks and not glitches is super cool to me and is what makes the run so interresting. B1 Skip, Water Temple Jumps, Slingshot and Hoverboot Skip, clever use of FW, etc. That's the beauty of the category. You can take all these shortcuts without using glitches.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:34:02 AM by troblana » Logged
Aliensqueakytoy
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 01:43:15 AM »

I've been running OoT for awhile now, and in all my time watching the category rules change, nothing has been more arbitrary then Glitchless. Now as I know it's super hard to define "Glitchless" OR "Bug limit" there HAS to be a line and that is what we have defined in the rules. But Big Octo skip being banned feels weird to me because this isn't really about playing the story of the game, as some of the argument that some are trying to make, but more of trying to finish the game with limiting the bugs or glitches in this game as fast as possible. Like I said before, it's very hard to define Glitchless without being arbitrary, but I feel that the limits very much should be the tricks themselves instead of story factors. You never think of story factors when you think of speedrunning, why in this? If we're going to ban Big Octo Skip, let's ban Hovers Skip, Goron Tunic Skip, we need balance. Anyway I didn't say to much because I feel I have expressed how I feel about this fair and simple. Big Octo skip should be allowed.
heistlight
Deku Scrub

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 01:50:15 AM »

I would like to point out, that there is no need for me to specifically point out why story continuity, skipping a mini-boss, or skipping a cutscene should come into play here seeing as how many users have already made replies in regard to these concepts (specifically dannyb and Jethro). However, I would like to point out the fact that it is implicit that the glitchless times are usually dependent on the movement and performance of the runner, not the skill or ability to perform glitches.

That being said, the ability to perform the damage boost used to perform Big-Octo skip, is just dependent on the skill of the runner. Therefore, I think that the trick fits perfectly into the theme of the run.

Once again, like was mentioned by other users, the point of glitchless any% is not to include all facets of the story, but yet to complete the game as fast as possible without performing any glitches. I think that alone, should warrant the use of the trick in the category.

Finally, I would like to say, that I completely think that this trick should be allowed in glitchless any%.

-Heistlight
fishfood
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2015, 08:25:49 PM »

I vote in favor of the rule change due to consistency. Also i don't meet the voting criteria (which i feel is irrelevant) but im voting anyways.
TheDeats
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2015, 05:17:28 AM »

I think the damage boost to skip Big Octo should be allowed if we're already doing damage boosts to skip stuff like dead hand/hover boots. Glitchless should be more of a limit on the glitches/bugs that are allowed than story continuity. I vote to change the rule. I haven't run much glitchless, just 2 runs for races.
Tashman
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2015, 02:47:19 PM »

Hey I might not be a runner really of this category but I do still have some interest in it and I have to say that I am all for the skip to be allowed I think that it would add a fresh element to the category more specifically the child section. It seems to be the case that maybe people are just to lazy/ scared to make changes such as this and get caught up in being "traditional but with time small things are changing else where with the community and from what i've seen personally I believe that changes are a good thing and should be welcomed and that maybe reviewing of category definitions now and then can help with improving the categories as we have more and more new runners popping up. This of course is just how I feel personally with it and I have no problems with it being allowed in glitchless Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: