ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 11:27:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the black Wii faster?  (Read 8425 times)
Skavi
Deku Scrub

« on: February 27, 2015, 07:56:24 PM »

Hi, first post on the forums, lets get right to it.

Trying in this subsection as this does not apply to any specific Zelda game.

I'm looking to buy a Wii and I've heard streamers/people talk about the fact that the Black Wii has faster loading times.
Is this tested and accepted as a fact?

If I understand it correctly there are a few options:

• 1. White Wii. 500mb hard drive. Supports gamecube games and controllers. (Maybe there are different versions of white Wiis?)
  • 2. Black Wii. No hard drive. Supports gamecube games and controllers
  • 3. Black Wii. No hard drive. Does not support gamecube games or controllers.
  • 4. Wii mini? No Idea but does not support gamecube games/controllers at least.

So option 1 and 2 are the only ones viable for most Zelda games (exception skyward sword). Anyone know if option 2 is faster than option 1?

Might as well get it right from the start if I decide to buy a Wii. I live in a PAL country by the way but guessing the hardware is the same as in NTSC countries.
Skavi
Deku Scrub

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 05:55:30 PM »

Answering this myself.

Was looking around and it seems most people share the opinion that the black and white Wiis are identical when it comes to hardware. Any differences found would then be due to the laser reader for the disc being newer and less worn on the black Wiis.

So the best choice for me is to buy a white one because it has the build in hard drive which makes things easier and cheaper.
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:38:41 AM »

As far as I know every Wii has a built-in "hard drive". The firmware and VC games are stored on there.
Skavi
Deku Scrub

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 07:36:58 PM »

You are correct of course. The review I read just listed hard drive as "no" but then later in the review listed 500mb flash drive. My bad.
scaramanga
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 08:36:18 PM »

Just found this Video by Cosmo on YouTube and remembered this thread. Seems the black Wii is actually faster...
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 07:41:49 AM »

Just found this Video by Cosmo on YouTube and remembered this thread. Seems the black Wii is actually faster...
But that is about disc reading times.
scaramanga
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:21:48 AM »

I honestly don't see any reason, why old disc-readers should be slower than new ones. But even if that is the case, it shows, that the difference is significant. If anyone buys a new Wii, he/she should definitely consider this, as you don't know, if you might run a Game, that is not on VC.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: