ZSR Forums
April 28, 2024, 11:39:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't make some glitches work  (Read 6963 times)
Shievo
Deku Scrub

Email
« on: February 13, 2015, 11:31:55 PM »

Greetings,
I'm new to speedrunning Oot and i'm trying any%. i've watched 808Tokyoboi's tutorial for beginners and created my own route to make it even more beginner friendly, like getting the slingshot in case i miss the jumpslash on gohma.

So i've made it so far so i'm in the deku tree, and i've gotten the b1 skip to work, the one he showed, but as a beginner i find it more important to know the backup strats than the first strats so if i fail i'm not completely screwed. Now as expected i don't get b1 skip to work every time so i try the backup strat he shows. And every time i try it link seems to just roll of the edge into the water, not even considering jumping. i've tried watching cosmo, joden and almost every youtube video i could find about it but could not get it to work no-matter what i do.

I play on N64 console. My console is like 10 years old and so is the game, and don't know what version of the game is? but i live in Europe, Denmark to be precise, if some of you know what version was released there.

Now can someone come up with something i can try? I might have a (just as old as my console) capture card laying around somewhere so i might be able to record me trying the trick if it helps, but do you know some things i can try?

I also tried making baba super side hop work, but i only worked on it for like 30 minutes to an hour, so that's possibly just because i suck.

Until i get a response i'll just use the slingshot to walk the long way around and come in through the hole.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 11:33:56 PM by Shievo » Logged
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 12:28:09 AM »

If you live in Europe and play on N64, your version is likely either a PAL 1.0 or 1.1 release. This can easily be confirmed by checking to see if the language can be changed in the options menu.

PAL runs at a slower framerate, which drastically changes how movement works compared to NTSC releases. This changes breaks the vast majority of the setups documented on the site and youtube. The PAL version also runs slower, which is why few people make PAL compatible setups.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 12:29:46 AM by mzxrules » Logged

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
thiefbug
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 12:30:54 AM »

the roll setup doesn't work on PAL in the same way. no idea where to find a PAL compatible setup tho :/
I don't know which wrong warp setup tokyoboi's tutorial uses - but if it's the one with targeting the pillar, sidehop, sideroll, roll - that one's not gonna work on PAL either
Shievo
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 12:39:02 AM »

I'm pretty sure i had no language option in the menus, so i'm guessing it's 1.0?

Sux that the setups doesn't work :/ I really wanted to do it oldschool on my n64, because it feels more right.

So what. I should install VC and plug in my PS3 controller? Seems wierd since the N64 controller got 6 buttons on right side but Ps3 controller only got 4.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 12:57:08 AM by Shievo » Logged
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 12:50:56 AM »

The option to change language would be on the file select screen (under options), and from what I understand the ability to swap languages should exist for both PAL 1.0 and 1.1

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Shievo
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 12:59:09 AM »

The option to change language would be on the file select screen (under options), and from what I understand the ability to swap languages should exist for both PAL 1.0 and 1.1

You're right. i started up my n64.

I can choose between English, Deutsch, and Français
Otaku
Deku Scrub

< ^ > < ^ >

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 01:24:13 AM »

VC is on the Wii and doesn't support USB PS3 controllers.
Shievo
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 01:32:22 AM »

VC is on the Wii and doesn't support USB PS3 controllers.

Learning something new every day. So what would you suggest? Gamecube, Wii, pc? i'm open to ideas right now Smiley
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 01:39:47 AM by Shievo » Logged
Lobster Zelda
Deku Scrub

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 07:11:57 AM »

Running it on the wii would be best. Also, you should hack your wii and download the Japanese WAD for this game, since the Japanese version is faster than running it in English.
Irregular programming
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 02:24:05 PM »

You can also buy old ntsc consoles fairly cheap on ebay, and if you don't need a 1.0 cartrige getting the japanese version of the game is cheap and simple too.

Your original power adapter will work on foreign consoles.

You can run japanese games on american consoles just be swapping the back with another game (or by opening up and modding the console), it requires  a gamebit to open them up but then again they are also pretty cheap.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:55:40 PM by Irregular programming » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: