ZSR Forums
April 19, 2024, 12:54:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No Sequence Breaks Routing/Defining  (Read 4785 times)
King_Nuptup
Deku Scrub

« on: February 09, 2015, 09:58:34 PM »

I want to do a speedrun of a "No Sequence Breaks" category, This category would be a no restrictions, 'Objective' Category, to beat the game without sequence breaking the story. I would really appreciate it if people could help me define this category, and define what a sequence break is, as well as help me route the fastest way to do so.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 11:51:14 PM »

This smells like MST with less routing options, and probably no IM/WW. Will glitches be allowed?

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
King_Nuptup
Deku Scrub

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:55:12 PM »

All glitches are allowed
Apasher
Regular Guay

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 12:18:17 AM »

This smells like MST with less routing options, and probably no IM/WW. Will glitches be allowed?

Smells like glitchless with glitches to me. Things like DoT skip, shadow early, IM, WW, goron bracelet/saria's song skip, and trials skip would be up for discussion?
King_Nuptup
Deku Scrub

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 12:26:45 AM »

That was my original concept for this particular run apasher, but I want to explore different routing options that "Glitchless with Glitches" would have, or what could be faster for it.
King_Nuptup
Deku Scrub

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 12:27:35 AM »

Trials Skip is undeniably a sequence break.
Sveet
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 02:47:22 AM »

The OoT section of ZSR lists Door of Time Skip, Forest Escape, early Well/Spirit/Shadow and Trials skip as Sequence breaks. I think its obvious that those would be off limits.

What else counts as a sequence break? Heres a list of a few i'm curious about:

• Skipping the water temple cutscene (filling the lake)
  • Skipping Child portion of Spirit Temple
  • Water Temple without doing Ice Cavern
  • Jabu without getting ruto's letter
  • Mido Skip
  • Skipping Saria's song (intended to be used to gain entrance to dodongo and forest temple)
  • Skipping Red/Blue tunic
  • Skipping epona
  • Stealing Epona with hover

I think a true "no sequence break" would have you completing all of the objectives the game designers intended, in the order they intended. Whereas glitchless allows you to use developer oversights to any end, this run would force us to figure out what the developers intended us to do at each step. The problem being, the developers never intended for us to do most of the things we do, and anything that deviates from a "casual" route could be considered a sequence break at some level. Eg, Wrong Warping from Fire Temple to Forest Temple, while not technically out of order (IIRC you can do the first 3 medallions in any order, though the NPCs tell you to do Forest->Fire->Water) it could be argued that skipping the walk (including playing saria's song and the minuet cutscene) is a sequence break because you skipped story elements along the way.

If this category is truly to be made, some non-arbitrary definition of a sequence break has to be determined, or some group of people need to go through every sequence break in the game and determine which are okay and which aren't. The problem with the latter is at that point the route will be 100% set in stone, which doesnt make for a very interesting category.
oligi3008
Regular Guay

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 11:44:38 PM »

Skipping the red tunic is not necessarily a sequence break. You can enter the Death Mountain Crater from the top then jump on a small platform and use Scarecrow's song twice. Problem: you cannot get the red tunic after beating the fire temple. It is a development oversight.
Skipping the blue tunic is not a problem. Also, at least one key in the water temple is skipable without any glitches.

Before you save the world, kiss the princess or you might regret it.
Sveet
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 12:00:54 AM »

I would argue that the developers never intended you to travel to the fire temple without talking to Darunia's son. From a story perspective, you don't have your next task until you talk to him and find out where all the Gorons went. Whether or not its possible to do it is for the Glitchless category.

As for the Blue tunic, I agree that it is skippable. Sheik tells you about the water temple when you get the iron boots, the Blue tunic is received from unfreezing King Zora which isn't a necessary step technically.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:06:25 AM by Sveet » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: