ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 01:01:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Petrie's Challenge -- Demo release  (Read 13633 times)
petrie911
Regular Guay

Everybody Loves Hypnotoad!

« on: February 26, 2014, 09:31:47 PM »

So, you guys might remember me working on a zelda mod that was taking forever. Well, I've decided to release a demo of what I have so far to tide you over while I do the rest. Because it will take a very long time.

For those not aware, this demo consists of the Forest, Fire, and Water temples, which have been strung together such that completing Forest takes you to Fire, Fire to Water, and Water to the end of the demo. Each temple has been heavily modified to the point where it plays almost nothing like the original. In them, you will find complex puzzles, difficult fights, and tests of dexterity unlike anything in other Zelda games. Will you rise to the challenge?

This mod can be played on any N64 emulator. For those of you with N64 flash carts, it can also be played on the N64 hardware. Unfortunately, it does not work in a VC WAD, so you'll have to use something like Wii64 if you want to play on the Wii.

A preview of the mod
http://youtu.be/MkAFU1jFr3g
and here's the download link. The enclosed readme should tell you all you need to know.
http://cloudmodding.com/zelda/petrie/files/patcher.zip
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:25:03 PM by petrie911 » Logged
Runnerguy2489
Special Guay

I'm not your buddy, guay!

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 11:23:59 PM »

NO HINTS
NO SUGGESTIONS
NO "HAVE YOU TRIED X?"

I hope a lot of people that watched my stream don't remember the solutions to the puzzles because the puzzles in this thing are incredible.

runnerguy your such a mother fucker. whats with all this bombchu shit? all everyone who likes this shit is stupid. ur a fucking cheater. u did that the wrong way, thats not how to get past the king zora u cheater. u suck and i wont continue watching all ur shit! videos.
petrie911
Regular Guay

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 09:26:06 PM »

New version created. Primarily fixes an unusual bug when played on the N64 hardware. Other minor bugs fixed, so you should probably redownload.
aleckermit
Mega Guay

back in green

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:46:56 PM »

Here's a walkthrough of Forest with the hopefully now-fixed N64 jumping glitch [SPOILERS DON'T BE A WEENIE, TRY TO BEAT IT WITHOUT A GUIDE FIRST]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63SOYGoOPxQ

Oh and... Petrie let me fight modified Morpha because we're BFF's Cheesy

Suggestions for Forest:
1. The first time you hit the red/blue switch have Navi say something like "Look Link! The red and blue flames we've been seeing around... they seem to be connected to that switch you just hit..." just to make sure the concept is understood.
2. *SPOILERS* Going up through the falling ceiling room hole for BK... I don't understand what makes that hookshot pillar appear above the hole or when it happens... why not have it always be there instead so the player knows they can go back up there later (maybe have it blocked though by a red/blue barrier at the proper time to make it work with the puzzle?). First time I saw the lower hookshot pillar I climbed on it and realized it was a dead end, assumed it was just used to shoot the eye switch in the distance later...
3. The little cutscenes that show when something has been altered are too brief. Couldn't see what they were trying to show me most of the time. The one that specifically comes to mind is the eye switch cutscene outside of the red/blue switch room. It shows that hookspots have been added in the courtyard but it's so fast I didn't catch that until like the third playthrough.
4. The third air puzzle jump is too inconsistent. I jump the same way but still get pulled past the balcony that I'm supposed to land in a lot of the time, and occasionally the wind wouldn't catch me at all (I think because a loading issue due to distance?).
5. Change the last poe sister fight up in some way? Was disappointing fighting her the exact same way as in regular OoT when all of the other poe sister puzzles/fights were different.

Suggestions for Fire:
1. When you shoot the first silver eye switch have Navi say something like "This silver switch seems to control one of the seals Darunia spoke of... let's find the other six Link!". I feel the player shouldn't have to guess at what a seal is or how it might be controlled. For the first hour+ I thought that silver eye switch was just another switch, once I found the second one I finally pieced it together.
2. Need more arrow drops just before/in room with metal floor that's off from the second floor of used-to-be-boulder-maze. I ran out of arrows twice trying to do that puzzle which forces you to go get arrow drops from the pots all the way back at the first seal switch. Not to mention you have to re-enter the dungeon just to make those pots re-stock. This is like a 10 minute backtrack.
3. Remove torch glare? On N64 the torch glare makes it very hard to aim at unlit torches in the distance.
4. Add wall hookspots to the cylindrical room that's high above large lava floor room. I hopped onto the rectangular structure just under the skinny pathway and couldn't get back up, had to jump all the way down and backtracked back up.
5. *SPOILERS*The final block puzzle where you stack 3 blocks... holy fucking hell is that difficult and unfair. The block physics when having 3 blocks stacked (especially with a large one on top) make no sense so you have to alternate pushing the bottom and top blocks over and over again and one uncareful push makes the top block fall off. Then the complete hell of figuring out how to get the top block onto the ledge (I actually never figured it out, did a more complicated way where I kept all 3 blocks stacked). In short, this puzzle is really bad. It's unfair and the physics are broken. I knew what to do to solve the puzzle within like 10 minutes then spent hours trying to accomplish it. Hated hated hated it.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:25:13 PM by aleckermit » Logged

http://youtube.com/aleckermit

<@Swordless> Have you had this problem before? A game not starting until you cleaned it?
mrbubbleskp
Regular Guay

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »

I've finished Forest too and I believe im about 2/5 into Fire Temple Just Got A Key for past the Iron Knuckle Smiley
Fishaman P
Regular Guay

12 Year Old Grill

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »

Incredibly hyped, just wish I had a flashcart!

What dos RBA stand for?
Reverse Bel-Air.
petrie911
Regular Guay

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 05:06:12 PM »

For the record, you can also play it on any emulator. The only thing you can't play it on is the Virtual Console.
Jbop
Twenty-three is number one! Do you think I'm a traitor?

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 05:50:06 PM »

Hmm I should try to make a GC inject.

Probably won't work Roll Eyes

Quote from:  ZFG on March 24, 2008, 8:27:24 AM
Quote from:  Prognosis_4 on March 24, 2008, 8:25:50 AM
Why are you guys so certain it's possible?
Because its OoT.
Fishaman P
Regular Guay

12 Year Old Grill

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 05:08:18 PM »

For the record, you can also play it on any emulator. The only thing you can't play it on is the Virtual Console.
Well yeah, and I even have an N64-USB adapter.
It's just not the same as real hardware, especially with the sad state of N64 emulation right now.

What dos RBA stand for?
Reverse Bel-Air.
Fruity
Deku Scrub

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 12:25:11 AM »

Is there any guide/walkthrough of the Water Temple?

I am stuck in the Kinght's room next to the Zora's room (I can't reach the button of the wall) and the room where there are 3 ice bats (I can't reach the button of the wall as well).

mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 09:08:46 PM »

Version 1.2 is out, link is the same as before.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Zas
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 09:48:33 PM »

I encoutered a crash in forest temple that happened twice. I was playing on a flash card 64drive and the crash happened after hitting the frozen silver eye switch in the room with spinning platforms. Here's a VOD of it: http://www.twitch.tv/zas_/c/4425243
The video description has times for crashes and also at the end is weird thing where i enter from a twisted tunnel into an untwisted room or something which makes me appear inside the wall.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: