ZSR Forums
April 23, 2024, 07:35:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best ZSR Page?  (Read 3755 times)
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« on: January 04, 2014, 08:43:02 AM »

http://zeldaspeedruns.com/oot/generalknowledge/items-and-power-ups

Keymakr mentioned that he hadn't seen this until I mentioned it in someone's stream today, so I felt like posting about it here to give it more exposure. Feel free to post about anything it might need (i think there are still a few thing I wanted to add but haven't gotten around to).

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
nathanisbored
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »

In terms of the writing, I've never been a fan of things that say "this item is not that useful" or "this item is underrated" or "this item is commonly used for this" or similar commentary, because stuff like that is unnecessary and subject to change, and you might have some specific route or goal in mind that restricts certain items, making others more useful.

In terms of the info, I guess you could say more about the actual utility of FW rather than the technical stuff that's really only relevant for wrong warp. Also might be worth mentioning that it can be used in the inner part of Ganon's Castle, since a lot of people don't know that.

The Ocarina of Time is always shown in Link's hands during cutscenes if you never obtained either ocarina. It's also always shown as Adult Link even when he uses the fairy ocarina, because they never intended Adult Link's model to hold the fairy ocarina.

Magic beans do have a capacity (15), but it gets ignored when you buy or use one.

I'm curious about something... Does the trade item duplication trick work with hookshot/longshot (or fairy ocarina/ocarina of time for that matter)? Like if you bottle dupe over the hookshot and have the same bottle item on a C button and then open the longshot chest, does it overwrite the C button? I'm guessing this doesn't work, but if it did it would probably be possible to make longshot useable as child.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:08:20 AM by nathanisbored » Logged
Exodus122
Regular Guay

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 02:30:24 PM »

No, that doesn't work. Also, attempting to use hookshot/longshot as child softlocks the game anyways.

keymakr
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 12:15:01 AM »

"The Boomerang is kinda cool."

This needs to be replaced with:

"The Boomerang is horrible and should be avoided at all costs."

freaking aiming that crap >.>
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 05:19:02 AM »

In terms of the writing, I've never been a fan of things that say "this item is not that useful" or "this item is underrated" or "this item is commonly used for this" or similar commentary, because stuff like that is unnecessary and subject to change, and you might have some specific route or goal in mind that restricts certain items, making others more useful.

I disagree somewhat.

For one, the game is 15 years old. Big tricks are fairly rare and would probably require someone to go back and re-edit the page anyway.

Second, I believe that the reader should know which items are more likely to be useful vs ones that aren't because some scrubs have a few misconceptions on what is or isn't useful. Furthermore, I feel that it's highly unlikely for this balance to change all that much.

What makes an item more/less useful are the ways the items can be utilized and the puzzles that can be solved with that item. Bomb/chus are more useful because if used correctly they provide a diverse variety of functionality (bombing walls, slides, hovers, clips etc.). It's very unlikely that a single huge trick would completely ruin the power of the bomb, and if it did it odds are that many runners would ban such a glitch anyhow since that's now the thing these days.

However, I feel like such statements should be kept to a minimum, and there's at least one that I'll edit out.

In terms of the info, I guess you could say more about the actual utility of FW rather than the technical stuff that's really only relevant for wrong warp.
What do you mean?

Magic beans do have a capacity (15), but it gets ignored when you buy or use one.
If it's ignored, then does it actually have a capacity? I don't understand...

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: