ZSR Forums
September 19, 2024, 09:49:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OOT joystick is terrible, help?  (Read 9623 times)
slipdude
Deku Scrub

Email
« on: December 23, 2013, 02:04:41 AM »

Okay, so my controller and adapter arrived:

Controller - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gray-Long-Controller-Game-System-for-Nintendo-64-N64-New-/141098576309?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item20da2169b5

Adapter - http://www.amazon.com/May-Flash-Controller-Adapter-Nintendo-64/dp/B002B9FIUU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

PJ64 v. 2.0

Plugin - N-Rage's Direct-Input 8 V2 1.80a

and I am having an extremely hard time getting it to cooperate in OOT. I am not sure if it's my adapter that's the issue, the controller (possibly a really crappy joystick), or just incorrect settings within PJ64's controller plugin. Can anyone share their deadzones and ranges?

Edit: To elaborate, by extremely hard time, I mean depending on what I set the deadzone and range to, when turning whilst running, Link will stop running and walk until the turn is complete... and then go back to running. So if I am running a full circle, it's a battle between running and walking the entire time.

Also, did this happen to anyone else during calibration?

It just sits at 0% for the Z-Axis (moving joystick left and right) and 0% of the Z-Rotation (moving joystick up and down). Is this supposed to happen???

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:08:03 AM by slipdude » Logged
Jbop
Twenty-three is number one! Do you think I'm a traitor?

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 04:40:44 AM »

1. Well first off you got a 3rd party N64 controller; all I can say about those is sometimes they work fine, mostly they suck Tongue
2. Don't use PJ64 2.x for OoT (or anything, really). It's not allowed for speedruns and it's pretty buggy.
3. I use NRage v2 2.3c with a deadzone of 5-8% and range from 85-100% (depending on the controller - and all of mine have sucked hehe).
4. IIRC Z-rotation/Z-axis is usually used for the secondary analog stick. Obviously there isn't one on an N64 controller, so moving the joystick would do nothing on that screen. I have heard that Mayflash adapters often erroneously attach the C-buttons to z-rotation/axis, so maybe that is part of the problem?

Quote from:  ZFG on March 24, 2008, 8:27:24 AM
Quote from:  Prognosis_4 on March 24, 2008, 8:25:50 AM
Why are you guys so certain it's possible?
Because its OoT.
slipdude
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 05:46:15 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

1. Noted, I would have gotten a refurb official as opposed to a 3rd party, but I digress.

2. 'It's not allowed'. Is that only in races or do you not even qualify for streaming speedrunning if you use an emulator?

3. Thanks, I'll try that out. I read the 100% range is good.

4. You are correct, since my OP I did some research and found out the Z-Axis and Z-Rotation is in regards to the C buttons.
nathanisbored
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 05:56:04 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

1. Noted, I would have gotten a refurb official as opposed to a 3rd party, but I digress.

2. 'It's not allowed'. Is that only in races or do you not even qualify for streaming speedrunning if you use an emulator?

3. Thanks, I'll try that out. I read the 100% range is good.

4. You are correct, since my OP I did some research and found out the Z-Axis and Z-Rotation is in regards to the C buttons.

2. You can stream it and use it, it just won't be accepted on the leaderboards, and it's not allowed for races.

I use a Gamecube controller with Raphnet adapter and I believe one axis is for the analogue stick, one is for C-stick, and one is for shoulder button pressure.
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 10:01:51 AM »

The controller you're using is awful. Don't expect any good results from it.
slipdude
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 11:02:24 AM »

What's a good place to get N64 controllers that aren't 3rd party? I don't have mine from childhood anymore.
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 12:03:25 PM »

What's a good place to get N64 controllers that aren't 3rd party? I don't have mine from childhood anymore.
Just go second hand. Try to pick it up in person, so you can test the analog stick. I'm sure your country/area has websites where people can sell their stuff.
slipdude
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 12:42:22 PM »

Good idea, I bet a bunch of my friends still probably have theirs laying around and they would just give to me. Is it better to have a tight or loose joystick? I imagine no matter what it'd be loose considering how old it would be.
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 08:20:06 PM »

That's mostly preference, but too loose always sucks.
slipdude
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 12:11:15 PM »

Just a slight update...

I have purchased an original N64 controller and it works great, however the seller did not stick to their word and the controller is a bit more loose than advertised. This is my fault for not feeling it before I got home. It's not a huge deal, but it gets finicky sometimes and makes certain tricks a bit difficult. Are there any replacement joysticks that are actually reputable among the speedrunning community, or should I continue my quest for a good controller, and feel it this time before I make the purchase?
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 12:39:38 PM »

Just a slight update...

I have purchased an original N64 controller and it works great, however the seller did not stick to their word and the controller is a bit more loose than advertised. This is my fault for not feeling it before I got home. It's not a huge deal, but it gets finicky sometimes and makes certain tricks a bit difficult. Are there any replacement joysticks that are actually reputable among the speedrunning community, or should I continue my quest for a good controller, and feel it this time before I make the purchase?
All the types of replacement sticks suck unfortunately. Quality is worse, deadzone is different, sensitivity is different.
slipdude
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »

All the types of replacement sticks suck unfortunately. Quality is worse, deadzone is different, sensitivity is different.

As I imagined.

Oh well, I will just keep practicing with the controller I have now and purchase another shortly. At least I'll have a lot of controllers, I guess. You've been a great help, thanks a lot.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: