Organizing things (OoT Site)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Razor7581:
Quote from: mzxrules on October 31, 2013, 08:39:08 AM

Take a trick like entering the Forest Temple without the hookshot for example. There are two ways to do that

Actually three: you can use hovering as well (but does anyone still do that?).

I think there should definitely be a link to "Adult Reset" on the DoT Skip page. Looking at the "Neutral Roll" page, I was wondering if maybe there should be a new page created under under "General Knowledge" that talks about set-ups and certain movement that is used in different set-ups (like neutral rolls), etc. Maybe that's a bit much? I definitely agree that the pages could use more hyperlinks, since OoT is such a huge section which such a large amount of content.

Also, I hate seeing pages or explanations of complicated tricks that only contain a couple sentences, one of which is usually something along the lines of "refer to video." It's not like there aren't hundreds upon hundreds of speedrunners who play OoT and know all the ins-and-outs of all of these tricks: what frames to look for (maybe including some pictures?), what to look out for, things commonly done wrong, backup strats, windows on certain tricks, things you can do to make it easier, etc.

nathanisbored:
Quote from: Razor7581 on January 10, 2014, 04:35:57 PM

I definitely agree that the pages could use more hyperlinks, since OoT is such a huge section which such a large amount of content.

Completely agree. I see a lot of pages that reiterate information instead of linking to the page that explains it.

And yeah, setups are something that could use a lot of work. It would also probably be a good idea to have multiple setups for certain things (For CS skips alone you could have "initial position" setup, backup setup, easy (marathon safe) setup, setup that allows you to grab the heart container, bomb OI setup (lol), setup that doesn't use a deku nut (for ganondoor)). You don't have to list EVERY known method, just ones that have some sort of advantage over another. Whichever is the optimal known version of each setup would be listed.

And setups should never be in paragraph form. This is hard to follow.

Razor7581:
Quote from: nathanisbored on January 10, 2014, 05:57:55 PM

Completely agree. I see a lot of pages that reiterate information instead of linking to the page that explains it.

I don't think there's a problem with a little reiteration here and there though, as only having hyperlinks could lead to some sloppy looking pages.

mzxrules:
Quote from: Razor7581 on January 10, 2014, 04:35:57 PM

Also, I hate seeing pages or explanations of complicated tricks that only contain a couple sentences, one of which is usually something along the lines of "refer to video." It's not like there aren't hundreds upon hundreds of speedrunners who play OoT and know all the ins-and-outs of all of these tricks: what frames to look for (maybe including some pictures?), what to look out for, things commonly done wrong, backup strats, windows on certain tricks, things you can do to make it easier, etc.

I do that on occasion because it's better to know that a trick exists than to not show it because I can't explain how. There are hundreds of OoT runners, but not many seem willing to edit the site.

nathanisbored:
Quote from: Razor7581 on January 10, 2014, 08:55:32 PM

I don't think there's a problem with a little reiteration here and there though, as only having hyperlinks could lead to some sloppy looking pages.

Yeah I know what you mean, as long as you're just summarizing it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page