ZSR Forums
April 27, 2024, 03:01:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with ESS position!  (Read 8558 times)
CFerens
Deku Scrub

Email
« on: July 10, 2013, 03:10:04 AM »

Hey guys - so, I've been practicing MST for about 2 weeks now and have been having tons of trouble with the ESS position (in particular, the WESS in Hyrule Field to Kakariko village). I'm using an emulator, so at least I can use savestates, but I have been very inconsistent with it. I also pause after my jump slash to try and make sure I get the right position (I know, it's nooby but it helps a lot).

So, my question is, are there any sort of visual cues or special techniques you guys have to make sure that you have the joystick in the right spot? The placement of the joystick just seems so precise, and I sometimes wonder how people can do it without pausing.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:00:14 AM »

Do you know what the indication is that you hold your control stick in ESS position, when standing on the ground?
CFerens
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 08:42:42 PM »

Yes, it's when the camera moves but Link doesn't, correct?
nathanisbored
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 08:45:58 PM »

Yes, it's when the camera moves but Link doesn't, correct?

If he's facing the camera already, yes. Otherwise he pivots.
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 08:55:51 PM »

No, it's when Link rotates, but doesn't move from his place. It should happen when you put a little pressure on your control stick. On emulator you should be able to change the dead zone for your control stick. You want to set the dead zone not too high, because then you have to put a lot more pressure to get ESS.
CFerens
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 01:31:02 AM »

Yeah, that's what I meant. Link is rotating, not the camera. And I am using an emulator, I'll try adjusting the deadzone if I can find where to do that.
Kimimaru
Regular Guay

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:00:14 AM »

I use a deadzone of 4% and a range of 80%. In my experience, that's the closest to how it felt on a N64.
Mothership_Connection
Deku Scrub

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 10:07:54 AM »

I only got ESS position consistently recently.

What helped me was putting the side of my thumb slightly under the stick (on the top left, or top right depending on situation). It allows me to 'lock' the joystick in a stable position.

Best of luck.
Apasher
Regular Guay

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 05:40:15 PM »

I use a deadzone of 4% and a range of 80%. In my experience, that's the closest to how it felt on a N64.
Do the same settings apply for GCN controller? If not, what settings is the closest to how it feels on VC?
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 06:07:15 PM »

Do the same settings apply for GCN controller? If not, what settings is the closest to how it feels on VC?
They definitely don't apply.

Using this file you can find them though. My quick calculations give: deadzone of 13%, range of 55% (yes I know, VC controls are ridiculous). Not sure if I did this correctly.

Edit: My range doesn't seem right. I think range should just be 100% to be closest to VC controls. If it was possible to make the range go beyond 100%, it would be possible to make it closer to VC controls.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 06:30:16 PM by whyieyesya » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: