ZSR Forums
April 19, 2024, 12:29:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Noob trying to get into MM running  (Read 34126 times)
HiipFire
Regular Guay

« on: May 09, 2012, 11:46:22 PM »

Hey, could anyone introduce into running this game?
Like help me instead of just dumping all the information on me.
Thanks in advance.
Norkix
Special Guay

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:31:35 AM »

Hey there HiipFire. I'm a fellow rookie (been here since mid-February), but I do have quite a lot of experience with MM. Here's what I did when I first started speedrunning.

First off, choose the version you feel most comfortable with. For me, this was N64, but it may be different for you. I will say that N64 has the advantage of easy HESS (Hyper Extended Super Slide), but it's totally up to you.
Second, practice practice practice for hours before you even start an attempt. Look over the tricks in the run and practice them on a completed file over and over until you get at least a 1 in 3 consistency with them. If you dont know how to do a trick, most of them have a page on ZSR, others can be found on YouTube. Practice is key.
Third, watch previous runs of the route you're going to attempt. This will show you timesavers that may not be told in the route. After learning the timesavers, practice them as well. Timesavers are generally easier to master than tricks, but a few are just as difficult.
When you start the run, it is important to remain calm. Don't worry about the timer, just play through the route. If you're worrying about the timer, you'll start trying to do things too quickly. Believe me, I speak from experience. Speedrunning takes patience and control. If you're getting stressed, take a break and listen to some music or watch something funny to help you calm down. Stress will make you sloppy (again, I speak from experience).

Welcome to ZSR, man. I look forward to seeing your work Smiley
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:28:42 AM by SamusXLink » Logged

11:17 <Cosmo>: It's hard to tell what ASAP means with todays sequence breaks
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 12:33:36 AM »

I'm ingx24 and I approve of SamusXLink's post. Smiley

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
Kaztalek
Special Guay

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 01:15:09 AM »

just take the inside

* ZFG sets mode: +b *!*@m2k2-41FE9128.tampfl.fios.verizon.net
* KlydeStorm was kicked by ZFG (I'll destroy you)
Norkix
Special Guay

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 02:23:39 AM »

Keeta, what does that even mean? If I don't understand, HiipFire won't either.

HiipFire
Regular Guay

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 05:15:34 AM »

Thanks. I'll do that.
Pheenoh
Site Editor
Special Guay

Locked in cafde's basement

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:43:13 AM »

Hey there HiipFire. I'm a fellow rookie (been here since mid-February), but I do have quite a lot of experience with MM. Here's what I did when I first started speedrunning.

First off, choose the version you feel most comfortable with. For me, this was N64, but it may be different for you. I will say that N64 has the advantage of easy HESS (Hyper Extended Super Slide), but it's totally up to you.
Second, practice practice practice for hours before you even start an attempt. Look over the tricks in the run and practice them on a completed file over and over until you get at least a 1 in 3 consistency with them. If you dont know how to do a trick, most of them have a page on ZSR, others can be found on YouTube. Practice is key.
Third, watch previous runs of the route you're going to attempt. This will show you timesavers that may not be told in the route. After learning the timesavers, practice them as well. Timesavers are generally easier to master than tricks, but a few are just as difficult.
When you start the run, it is important to remain calm. Don't worry about the timer, just play through the route. If you're worrying about the timer, you'll start trying to do things too quickly. Believe me, I speak from experience. Speedrunning takes patience and control. If you're getting stressed, take a break and listen to some music or watch something funny to help you calm down. Stress will make you sloppy (again, I speak from experience).

Welcome to ZSR, man. I look forward to seeing your work Smiley
In all seriousness, this is an awesome post. Pretty much everything SXL covered are important concepts to remember when speed running any game.

<yashichidsf> tompa should default be a mod on everything related to srl
<yashichidsf> while i'm not a big fan of modding bots, i think tompa is really well programmed
HiipFire
Regular Guay

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 02:39:05 PM »

I can't seem to be able to pull of ISG, is there something different you have to do on a PAL N64?
Norkix
Special Guay

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 03:32:58 PM »

ISG is all about timing. I'm not sure if there's anything special on PAL, (myself playing on NTSC-U) but I find that I can always get it if I press A while Link is bringing the sword back in from the crouch stab. I find that most people trying to do ISG for the first time tend to immediately press A or press A too late.

Hope I helped ^_^

Just a recommendation: you should try to get your hands on an NTSC N64 and copy of the game. Speedrunning on PAL is going to be very difficult. As long as the console/game have been used before, you should be able to get them at a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 03:38:46 PM by SamusXLink » Logged

HiipFire
Regular Guay

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 04:56:21 PM »

ISG is all about timing. I'm not sure if there's anything special on PAL, (myself playing on NTSC-U) but I find that I can always get it if I press A while Link is bringing the sword back in from the crouch stab. I find that most people trying to do ISG for the first time tend to immediately press A or press A too late.

Hope I helped ^_^

Just a recommendation: you should try to get your hands on an NTSC N64 and copy of the game. Speedrunning on PAL is going to be very difficult. As long as the console/game have been used before, you should be able to get them at a reasonable price.
How am i supposed to play a NTSC game on a PAL console?
Norkix
Special Guay

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »

Quote from: SamusXLink
get your hands on an NTSC N64 and a copy of the game

HiipFire
Regular Guay

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 06:29:51 PM »

Sorry didn't read properly, my bad.
Norkix
Special Guay

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 02:15:55 AM »

It's fine man, I do that sometimes too. It was just a suggestion anyways. You don't need to, but a lot of the PAL players here have gotten NTSC consoles just for speedrunning. It's still possible to speedrun on PAL.

Good luck with ISG! Smiley

BottlesFTW
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 07:05:24 AM »

If you have a wii, it would be better and cheaper for you to just hack your wii and play ntsc mm on it. Playing on the N64 version will always put you at a disadvantage because of the lag and slower loading times.
Indextic
Deku Scrub

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 08:02:01 AM »

just take the inside
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: