ZSR Forums
May 15, 2024, 08:18:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 46
  Print  
Author Topic: SS: Trick Research & Discovery  (Read 458255 times)
TestRunner
Regular Guay

Skyward Sword Editor

« Reply #525 on: April 24, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »

Sigh, another frame perfect trick, yet no pause buffering. This also isn't really some that you can improve with practice, just mashing luck.

<Triforce3250> You're my hero mode
Abahbob
Site Editor
Special Guay

I make videos of games that are done very fast.

Email
« Reply #526 on: April 26, 2012, 12:36:49 AM »

Well I mean, you can try it, and if you miss, then reset. Still worth a shot, maybe lose a second if you miss.
TestRunner
Regular Guay

Skyward Sword Editor

« Reply #527 on: April 26, 2012, 01:00:34 AM »

Good point.

DekuScrub
Regular Guay

« Reply #528 on: April 27, 2012, 12:03:18 AM »

Would hitting the home button at a specific moment after pressing A, closing the home menu and then hitting A help? I know that there is a small delay after closing the home menu, but I was wondering if it would be enough. Of course, there would be multiple points of reference we could use for timing when we might press home, but I wonder if any timing could work.

SOLD OUT
Abahbob
Site Editor
Special Guay

I make videos of games that are done very fast.

Email
« Reply #529 on: April 27, 2012, 12:52:45 AM »

I doubt it. Pause buffering works because after you close the start menu, any input at that time will occur on the first frame, that way it can cause frame perfect. On SS, it doesn't do that, so it would be more reliable to just time it or mash the button.
Paraxade
Special Guay

paraxade@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #530 on: April 27, 2012, 06:49:57 AM »

iirc Kazooie tried it on an emulator and he said it was a 2-frame window, that sounds about right to me. I've done a few run attempts with it and I honestly get the cutscene skip more often than not. For a race or marathon run though, just save, attempt the skip, and if you don't get it then reset the game and use BiT.
TestRunner
Regular Guay

Skyward Sword Editor

« Reply #531 on: April 27, 2012, 03:38:56 PM »

Well, if it's 2 frame, then it's really not that bad. Proper mashing should get you a pretty good success rate. And yea, there's no reason not to attempt it. It just sucks that you lost like ~min for failing, which kind of blows for WR attempts. same for that text skip after LMF, which is way later in the game.

Can you skip skipper's text after lvl 5 with this method? Or talking to Groose when you land in Faron 2? There's a bunch of places that I don't know if this has been tested. It's impossible to know how big the trigger windows are (and therefore skippable) until they are individually tested :/ I should just attempt this like everywhere during my runs, when ever I feel like doing any% again.

Paraxade
Special Guay

paraxade@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #532 on: April 27, 2012, 05:13:17 PM »

We tried it after Ancient Cistern, no luck skipping the dialogue with the water dragon... didn't try the Skipper dialogue because I couldn't remember if there was one.

And yeah, messing up the Wing Ceremony cs skip does suck for runs, but it's less than 10 minutes in, saves an entire minute, and works pretty often. There's really no reason not to use it for a serious run. Tongue The LMF skip isn't such a big deal, it's 15 seconds in English... should be a bit less in Japanese. Not really a whole lot for a trick with a 2-frame window two hours in.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #533 on: May 07, 2012, 03:28:09 PM »

Yesterday, Ahabob talked about finding out the difference between Skyview 0 and Skyview 1 by looking at the save itself. If someone can get me two different saves located within Skyview 0 and Skyview 1 that are nearly identical, it would help us hone in on it.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
TestRunner
Regular Guay

Skyward Sword Editor

« Reply #534 on: May 08, 2012, 04:28:13 AM »

There should be good. File 1 is Skyview_1. File 3 is Skyview_0.

mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #535 on: May 08, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »

Ran a comparison on the two files. The address offset from the start of the save is on the far left, the left most number is a byte from the Skyview1 save, the right number is a byte from the Skyview0 save. I got rid of everything between 0x0000 and 0x0033 inclusive and the checksum from the output returned.
Code:
08E5: 30 10
0A60: 07 08
0A61: 80 00
1A76: F8 88
1B15: 08 00
530E: 56 57
530F: 96 1A
5312: 56 57
5313: 96 1A

Edit:
0A60-1 is slingshot ammo. 0800h = 16 seeds left, 0780h = 15 seeds left. Very odd.
530E-F and 5312-3 I can't figure out, but I don't think they have anything to do with Skyview0

It looks like setting 0x20 in 0x08E5 converts Skyview 0 into Skyview 1. The flag is set only when the door opening cutscene plays, because I was able to set the door to open and still be in Skyview0
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:39:36 PM by mzxrules » Logged

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Manocheese
Regular Guay

avgshyuisopd
WWW Email
« Reply #536 on: May 22, 2012, 01:36:40 AM »

Here's that Bokoblin Base trick I mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRX_PjCfYtE

we are on the verge of discovering a fully optimized barrier skip
TestRunner
Regular Guay

Skyward Sword Editor

« Reply #537 on: May 22, 2012, 04:11:56 PM »

I can't tell if that trick is faster than the alternative (running up the wall) because of setup time. Although it looks like it might be a little faster. But it really doesn't matter much since you have to wait the the lava platform anyways >_>

TestRunner
Regular Guay

Skyward Sword Editor

« Reply #538 on: May 23, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »

Hey guess what! BitLoading sucks!

The route I had originally planned did not work. First, early light pillars glitch is so limited that it became useless (or near useless), so you still have to beat the first three dungeons. While the glitch work sin theory, in practice, the route will not be faster.

Early skykeep is much less useful than I originally had planned. You still need to get the master sword and open the Gate of Time, or you get a dead end when you need to enter the past to fight Demise (I though you entered the past automatically after the triforce cutscene, but nope). So in all, pre-made files only lets you skip the Song of Hero and the Skyloft Trials, which is like 1-1.5 hours from a 6 run. While this is still a lot, I don't really like the idea of using pre-made files for just skipping Song of Hero. It's pretty controversial. I had supported it before since the route was very bizarre and interesting, and the length was good, but now it's the same as any% except you skip the Song of Hero...

Kazooie
Special Guay

Oot 3DS!!!!

Kazooiebombchu
« Reply #539 on: May 23, 2012, 08:28:44 PM »

That really sucks. At least we can skip first imprisoned and fixing scrapper. This game really need some new glitches. What was dead end like? Was it like there is no stone pillar in temple or something?

My stream and youtube channel. Be sure to check them out and leave comments. Have fun!!!
http://www.twitch.tv/kazooiebombchu
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Kazooie
Currently working on: DKC3 105% segmented speedrun and racing games
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 46
  Print  

Jump to: