ZSR Forums
May 16, 2024, 09:02:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rethinking Completion Requirements  (Read 13021 times)
512: loadMemberContext(): member id 1 not previously loaded by loadMemberData()
File: /var/www/html/smf1.1/Sources/Load.php
Line: 969
Enterim
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 04:58:55 AM »

Are the trials part of the current 100% definition?
TheOnlyOne
Regular Guay

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 06:09:56 AM »

I agree to banning RBA/BA in 100%. It’s simpler that way. (Although, doesn’t that make 100% longer?  The current record becomes obsolete… negatively?)

But say RBA/BA is in a 100%, I don’t know what I think about killing Ganon. The same could be asked for MST (with RBA/BA, etc.) Especially now that you can re-obtain the light medallion. Beating the trials, then skipping to the credits seems silly, but it would probably be a little faster.

But I do have a slightly different category idea that I think would make good use of the wrong warp, still show lots of the game, and doesn’t bother with such a question. How about this: defeat all (10) bosses. Nothing ambiguous about that. Not sure how ‘arbitrary’ such a category would be seen as, but I think at the very least it would be entertaining. A little less arbitrary than ‘enter all blue warps.’ (Funny how that was part of the technical MST definition to my understanding. But even that becomes muddled with the wrong warps. Are we really entering the warp, etc. Silly but you get the point.)

Anyway. Just thought I’d throw something out there since everyone seems so preoccupied with modifying old catagories.
P.Ommes
Deku Scrub

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 01:29:46 PM »

In my opinion, beating a game 100% includes beating every boss in the game, especially the final boss.
By all means, use this new glitch in any% runs, but for 100% runs, I say just stick to the original.

this is exactly what i would propose, also
Any% without ganon is great, but in a 100% i want to see everything bashed and slayed Cheesy
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 05:12:15 PM »

I disagree with banning RBA/BA completely. It's better to just to say outright that you have to beat Ganon, rather than ban RBA/BA solely to indirectly guarantee a Ganon fight.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:14:49 PM by mzxrules » Logged

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Bonooru
Regular Guay

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 10:16:29 PM »

I think that adding that you must defeat ganon to the list of requirements for 100% deals with the issue most effectively.
Thomaz
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 12:22:35 AM »

I agree completely with what Hornlitz said. If you're doing 100%, than logically, you beat the "important" bosses and get the "important" items. I'm using quotations because those things I mentioned can obviously be discussed (getting Gold scale skips Silver Scale is fine, you still get the best end-product; but I suppose not all bosses need to be fought, unless they give you something).

What's the fun and challenge in getting (almost) every item in the game if you're basically gonna hack it in. Why call it 100% if it's not actually 100%? The complexity of the route and the skills needed to do such a run is really what I like about 100% in general and I think this counts for a lot of people. Tongue

Any% is different, any % is anything goes, to a certain point. It's fun to watch a game be destroyed completely, but I think it should not be just that. Any% needs different categories, like "Major skips redefined" (lol), "regular glitched" and perhaps even non-glitches if you want to push it.

To give you an analogy.

I like to see myself as a Pokémon speedrunner. The first Pokémon games can be even more destroyed than OoT (you can warp to the end in ONE minute), but that shouldn't be the only run. It should not replace any run that uses the "pretty big" glitches like my own run or perhaps, in the future, the 'slow' ZZAZZ route because the run differ so much (and definitely NOT the non-glitched run, but what you do or don't consider a glitch in OoT is very vague and I'm not going there).

I suppose you could almost argue that the one minute warp thing is just more for the lolz than honest and well done, skillfull gameplay (wether that's route planning or the gameplay itself is, for the sake of the argument, not important). While both are glitched any%, they can't be compared at all.

And for 100% (which I am working on), I get all badges, get all Pokémon and beat the Elite Four (might also make a video of the diploma lol), because, honestly, why go out of the way to get every last Pokémon (most through glitches, but there really is no other way without trading, so it's fair) if at the end, you'd just warp to the end. You have to finish what you started.

If I had any say in the matter (back to OoT), I would say:
- Any% warp to the end (for the lolz and because, why not?);
- Any% RBA (it's different enough and actually requires skill);
- 100% non-RBA;

A point could be made for Any% with less glitches, like those on SDA, but I'm leaving that in your hands. Tongue

Oh, and don't time the credits. We've never done that and I don't see why we would know. It would mean you would have to go back to every created speedrun and retime it because you're adding the credits.

Also, I didn't realise I never registered lol. No wonder the site didn't let me login. <_<
thundrio
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 01:47:14 AM »

I understand about what you mean for different categories of glitched any%, but I believe we should leave the definition of any% as "Reach the end of the game as fast as technically possible within the games own constraints (by that I mean no crooked cart/hacking)". Then if you want you can add restrictions to that, such as "any% no Rare Bird Adventure".

[19:30] <13@jiano> i love programmin
[19:30] <13@jiano> if thing == otherthing: do thingything !!!!!!!!