ZSR Forums
May 04, 2024, 07:42:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40
  Print  
Author Topic: MM: Trick Research & Discovery Thread  (Read 440064 times)
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #285 on: January 21, 2012, 08:02:56 AM »

Discovered this, but unfortunately it appears to corrupt saves when done legitimately. I plan to look into it some more.

Edit: Fffff. Figured out why it doesn't work at all. It appears as if PJ64 doesn't emulate the bug correctly, or that I've cheated to create a situation where the bug isn't emulated appropriately.

What seems to be happening is that when the flag is set, some data is being written past the point where the checksum positioned, and on saving, it's added into the checksum. Since the game only counts up values before the checksum on reboot, the saved checksum does not end up matching the expected checksum, and the save is thus dumped  Cry

There's still a little hope. First of all the save that Cadfe gave me revealed that the only value being saved was the current cycle. Perhaps there's a way to manipulate this?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:33:19 AM by mzxrules » Logged

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Jeville
Special Guay

"special"

« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2012, 05:13:16 PM »

It can be done legitimately without corrupting saves. How it can delete the file can be read here. So, before you go back in time, do not hold some of the items listed in notes then it's okay. Items you must not hold:

Rupees
Arrows
Bombs
Deku Nuts
Deku Sticks
Sea Horse
Hot Spring Water
Pictograph Box Photo

If you picked up any of them, it will still be okay if you use them all up before you go back in time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:15:18 PM by Jeville » Logged
cafde
Site Editor
Regular Guay

FrankerZ

« Reply #287 on: January 21, 2012, 06:16:04 PM »

It can be done legitimately without corrupting saves. How it can delete the file can be read here. So, before you go back in time, do not hold any of the items listed in notes then it's okay. Items you must not hold:

Rupees
Arrows
Bombs
Sea Horse
Hot Spring Water
Pictograph Box Photo

If you picked up any of them, it will still be okay if you use them all up before you go back in time.

That did the trick, i got rid of all my explosives and it didn't delete the file.

Edit-seems if you learn song of soaring after doing this and save, it deletes the file. no idea why just learning it would do that (i also picked up a stick, but i made sure i had no ammo before saving again. saving again seemed to work fine and still put me at the mayor's office if I only did something like pick up a rupee chest and deposited them.)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:35:02 PM by cafde » Logged

Jeville
Special Guay

"special"

« Reply #288 on: January 21, 2012, 07:14:26 PM »

Edit-seems if you learn song of soaring after doing this and save, it deletes the file. no idea why just learning it would do that (i also picked up a stick, but i made sure i had no ammo before saving again. saving again seemed to work fine and still put me at the mayor's office if I only did something like pick up a rupee chest and deposited them.)
Thanks, I forgot to include Deku Sticks, also Deku Nuts (had any on you?). Never knew learning a song can do it, maybe it works with other quest status items too.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:18:33 PM by Jeville » Logged
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #289 on: January 21, 2012, 08:56:58 PM »

Huh, this chart must be wrong somehow then, because it suggests that the reason your game was becoming corrupt was due to the game saving the day...

But anyway, I'd assume that any temporary values (rupees, dungeon keys, cutscenes, blocks) would cause the game to be dumped, unless the values past the checksum total up to a number divisible by 0x1000.

Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Jeville
Special Guay

"special"

« Reply #290 on: January 21, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »

I tested the Deku Mask cutscene, Captain's hat cutscene, acquiring the Mirror Shield, acquiring several masks, sun block cutscene, opening Woodfall Temple + Stray Fairy + unused small key + boss fight + blue warp portal, returning the Deku Princess, none of them did anything. Only the specific items I listed does. I also did everything on foot, because warping cancels the Mayor's Residence starting point.

Edit: Learning Elegy of Emptiness didn't corrupt either.

Edit2: Going back in time when the 'Explode' button from the Blast Mask is faded will corrupt (select Yes any time before the mask recovers).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:19:17 AM by Jeville » Logged
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #291 on: January 22, 2012, 07:39:52 AM »

Deku Mask cutscene,
Captain's hat cutscene,
acquiring the Mirror Shield,
acquiring several masks,
sun block cutscene,

Should be permanent events.

opening Woodfall Temple + Stray Fairy + unused small key + boss fight + blue warp portal, returning the Deku Princess, none of them did anything. Only the specific items I listed does. I also did everything on foot, because warping cancels the Mayor's Residence starting point.

Edit: Learning Elegy of Emptiness didn't corrupt either.

Interesting. I think I'll have to crack open up MHS and figure out why certain values corrupt the save while others don't.

Braid
Jeville
Special Guay

"special"

« Reply #292 on: January 27, 2012, 10:25:59 PM »

I've tested and explored a lot of things exhaustively, nothing else I've already mentioned corrupts the file that's saved at the Mayor's Residence. I'm not even sure what stuff I'm supposed to test, any ideas?
Valkskorn
Deku Scrub

« Reply #293 on: January 31, 2012, 02:21:25 PM »

While I can't really think of any reason to do so, I was curious as to why I've never seen it mentioned that you can clear Oceanside Spider House and get the Giant's Wallet without the hookshot?
playe
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #294 on: January 31, 2012, 06:28:39 PM »

Probably 'cause it's useless and old.
GlitchesAndStuff
Site Editor
Special Guay

Feel free to ask me anything

« Reply #295 on: February 18, 2012, 04:13:58 PM »

http://youtu.be/tToWRLvbMH4

Uhh, Just thought I'd post this incase anyone has any ideas with it
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #296 on: February 18, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »

Nice find GlitchesAndStuff. Now go find a way to dupe eggs so we can skip Pinnacle Rock in the any% Tongue

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
Nook
Special Guay

« Reply #297 on: February 25, 2012, 05:04:23 PM »

The new Medallion Cutscene Skip in OoT, anybody thinking it could work with the 4 Giants?

Hornlitz
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #298 on: February 25, 2012, 07:28:14 PM »

The new Medallion Cutscene Skip in OoT, anybody thinking it could work with the 4 Giants?

I suggested this idea on one of Grunz's videos, but it looks like nobody has tried yet. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but it may not.
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #299 on: February 25, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »

Ocarina Items doesn't work in MM, so this won't work either.

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40
  Print  

Jump to: