ZSR Forums
May 15, 2024, 10:58:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: n64 modification?  (Read 4548 times)
darkside420
Deku Scrub

Email
« on: October 10, 2014, 10:57:43 PM »

Over the past few weeks i've been pondering getting a JP n64. However after doing some searching around online i've found a few places that teach you how to play JP games on a US n64. Either by opening the console and removing (most people either cut them, or melt them) the tabs that block the cart from seating properly or by taking the back off the JP cart and replacing it with a random US back, again allowing the cart to seat. The third option of playing with the exposed cart circuit board is not recommended (lol). It says you can do this because the consoles are architecturally the same. (NTSC only, this WILL NOT work on a PAL console)

Two things. Can anyone confirm that this works and would the runs be considered valid because of the "modified" hardware (which you don't really do)?
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 08:28:41 AM »

Yes this works. People do this all the time, so it is allowed I guess.

I am actually wondering about one thing. I have a PAL N64, but using a region free adapter I can play the US and JP OoT. Now I have read that one of the clocks in the N64 on the PAL system is actually different. Maybe I can shoot a video of the intro to see if there is any unfair speedup.
Jeville
Special Guay

"special"

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 05:10:47 PM »

It does work.
Zamiel
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 04:13:09 AM »

by taking the back off the JP cart and replacing it with a random US back

This is the method I used to play my JP 1.0 cart, and dare I say, the best solution to this problem.

What I did was first buy a screwdriver on eBay for $3-$5 dollars. To find one for yourself, just search eBay for "nintendo 64 screwdriver". (The 3.8mm is for the game cartridges and the 4.5mm is for the console. Obviously, you will want the 3.8mm.)

Then, once I had the screwdriver, it takes roughly 2-3 mins to screw on the new cartridge "back".

Easy!
darkside420
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 12:25:20 AM »

Thanks guise  Grin  Zamiel, I'm an optician by trade and literally have thousands of small precise tools at work. I'm positive I have something available to do the trick, but thank's for the info if i don't!  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: