ZSR Forums
May 16, 2024, 07:42:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: GS Races  (Read 11864 times)
CHC
Regular Guay

« on: October 14, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »

I've never seen one. And I tried and it's pretty fun. It's a little faster than child dungeons (any 30) but it's all action and very little cutscene. Anyone up for a race? Thing is, you'd need a premade file to keep it fast. Say, named GS, sword/shield, and 0 rupees. No Time change, no leaving the forest. Just a file that is ready. Unless of course you want to add another 5:xx-6xx minutes. Your choice.

<stonenot>   chc ur dumb
<CHC> stonenot at least I can DoT skip
|<--   stonenot has left irc.speeddemosarchive.com (Quit: Leaving)
Link98
Regular Guay

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 12:14:12 AM »

Sounds like an interesting race, I've been thinking a "new" short category would be good. For proof calling reasons, as much as anything else, we should sit through the opening cut scene, but if everyone is streaming that becomes less of an issue. A concencus would be needed if it were to become a proper raced category. Have you already got a route?
CHC
Regular Guay

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 01:56:59 AM »

Yes, I have a route http://pastebin.com/KSKpeT2T
I grab nuts for an easy vine clip in botw.

I suppose intro would be useful for proofing. Unless we made a file and put it up for download (for VC users obviously mabye someone can get a gamecube save on SD card then do that)

I'm not sure if it's optimal. I skip Dodongo's Cavern since it takes 4 explosives to get 1 GS.

Honestly it's really fun. I have a 56:xx one but I messed up actor glitch a lot (I lost my muscle memory) and I skipped intro and sword/shield.

<stonenot>   chc ur dumb
Link98
Regular Guay

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:52:53 AM »

Downloading files is highly imractical for racing, people can just sit through the opening cutscene like in every other race. That route looks interesting, it's hard for me to say how optimised it is without taking a proper look at a GS guide.

I'd rather race this than all dungeon GSs, for example, because by the time I do that I'd rather do an MST run.

I'm about 4-5 hours (depending on whether I can find out the bomb by bowling strat) from finishing a 100% run but I'd like to give this a shot at some point.
Link98
Regular Guay

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 12:27:06 PM »

So I gave it a quick go this morning and overall I think it has potential. An hour of solid playing without cutscenes is amazing!

About the route, for "market area GS (19)" I can only assume you're including the Hyrule Castle one in the tree?

When you kept writing "hole GS" it was confusing because it took a moment to realise you meant "soil GS" (but that's not overly important).

The soil GS in DMC has really tight timing with 3 hearts, I lost my shield and couldn't try again. I'm guessing you megaflip straight down to the soil from the top (above where the heart piece is in the wall)?

The Lake Hylia skulltula behind the house seemed to have quite tight timing too with regards to turning day. I got on the bridge just as it turned day and therefore lost a couple of minutes. I'm assuming that can be got quite easily though if I was a bit quicker in other areas where time moves (i.e. Zora's River).

I enjoyed it quite a bit, actually, my only gripes are minor ones and I'll have another go this evening, this time knowing not to screw around in Zora's River etc and I'll let you know how that one goes.

Paladrima
Deku Scrub

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 03:04:09 PM »

Definitely interested.

All the GS-races i did were absolute fun everytime and even though this one would be way shorter, it should still be a nice experience.

But i personally wouldn't use a file where you already got like sword+shield or so.
The intro might not be the most interesting thing to watch in the world, but it just makes it way easier for everyone to enter.
V92ify
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 04:25:42 PM »

When the 101 GS race :p?

Youtube account

<RaceBot>: Samura1man was foolish and tried to pull the wool over our eyes !!!
--- sicko has banned ~r:87-94-227-220.bb.dnainternet.fi
*** Samura1man was kicked by sicko (sicko)
Link98
Regular Guay

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 11:16:39 PM »

So Paladrima and I worked up our own routes for this (half the fun is making your own route) and it went really well. I got pretty much 1 hour dead and Pala got 49 minutes. I'd be happy to race it again.
zodiac
Regular Guay

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 12:00:05 PM »

sounds really really fun based on hardly any cutscenes

im gonna make up my own route for this and ill be happy to join in with any races going on
CHC
Regular Guay

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 03:43:22 PM »

Hole means soil yes, I call them hole because they are in a hole in the soil Tongue

Yes, the megaflip down DMC

And that GS on the house is a pain but if you time it right it can be done well. I can get it pretty fast actually, the angle isn't too picky.

This route could hit sub 50 with work. I'm up to race this whenever (assuming I'm not racing already)

<stonenot>   chc ur dumb
CHC
Regular Guay

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 07:57:14 PM »

Sorry for double post but oh well.

I need to find a way to skip ZD/JJB/LH.

I can't get the waterfall megaflip consistently (yes I did the two crouch stab method thing and I get it 1/10)

Anyone know 5 GS that aren't in my route that can be obtained easily without the use of explosives/boomerang? (2 exp max for all 5)

Only easy ones I can think of are GV (there are 2 here, one with rang) which would add LH meaning 4/5. (3 in LH 1 in GV) Then I just need another. I can't think of an 'easy' one. I mean I could do Mp16 trick for the 4th GS in Deku Tree but that is harder than the megaflip.

<stonenot>   chc ur dumb
Paladrima
Deku Scrub

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 11:12:45 PM »

Hmm, to be honest, i think thats a really bad idea.

The Boomerang and Suns Song are usually your best friends in the most GS-Races.
Suns Song obviously wont help in this short category, no discussion about that.

Boomerang will though and that most definitely!

For example, you go to LLR to get 2 GS, with Boomerang you could get 4 (maybe skipping the extremely long DMC-trip? Wink ).

Best thing will probably be to stay and learn that megaflip. There are different setups and actually BrianMp16s setup for an (!!) easy unbuffered (!!) megaflip should be in your "known glitch list" in every case.

It might not be the answer to your question (sorry for that), but i seriously doubt you will find good GS, with which you can replace the possibilities you lose by not getting Boomerang and maybe the GSs in ZF.
CHC
Regular Guay

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 02:10:43 AM »

That is a good point, boomerang is your best friend. I'll look up Mp16's method for unbuffered megaflip. I'll need it.

However I was only missing 1 gs Tongue I guess if I used 2 chus (1 for hole 1 for GS itself) I could get the one outside GV. Juuuuust saying.

<stonenot>   chc ur dumb
CHC
Regular Guay

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »

Sorry for double posting, but this is a pretty good route if we are doing intro

No pastebin because I'm too lazy :/ Just make sure not to waste too much time on the Waterfall megaflip. I have a video showing what happens. Killed like 5 mins or more I swear. And I moved the LW/KF GS earlier (before/directly after Deku Tree) because I realized you could do it then.

Intro
Sword
Aquascape
Kak
4 cuccos
BotW
Stick
Nuts (easy skulltula clip)
GS in Like-Like (1) (grab shield)
Actor Glitch
Dead-Hand
Chus (10c)
Finish cuccos
Get bugs in bottle
Wait for night
5 Kak GS (6)
Savewarp
Deku Tree
Slingshot (faster than rang for kill speed)
GS on top (7)
Break Web
2 GS here (9)
Savewarp
Aquascape
Megaflip to ZD (9c)
Silver Scale
3 GS in LH (island first then soil then bridge) (12)
ZD (Night)
KZ skip (8c)
Use Jelly hover to skip megaflip (Or megaflip your choice megaflip is faster but costs a chu depends on how many you have)
JJB normal up to rang (13)
GS under Ruto room (15)
GS in last room (16)
Savewarp
2 GS in fountain area (18)
Savewarp
2 GS in Kokiri (20)
2 GS in Lost Woods (22)
Goron City Warp (7c)
GS in soil (6c) (23)
GS in aclove (5c) (24)
GS in crate at market (25)
GS near tree outside of kak (4c) (26)
LLR
All 4 (30)
.done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfQnZzdxQ-E
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:42:23 PM by CHC » Logged

<stonenot>   chc ur dumb
Link98
Regular Guay

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 06:02:18 PM »

In my route, I get the boomerang pretty much straight after chus. It's basically Slingshot -> Chus -> Bottle -> boomerang cleared as quickly as possible. That way I have enough options to skip time consuming things like Silver Scale, going to the platform out in the middle of LH etc.

Also, I hate that GC by the Like Like. Between navigating the holes, the fire keese, getting spat into the token then going back and getting the deku shield (which you've invariably lost) and avoiding Fire Keese again... well I'd rather get any other GS in the game, pretty much.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:03:56 PM by Link98 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: