ZSR Forums
May 16, 2024, 12:01:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-RBA any% speedruns  (Read 4645 times)
canard
Regular Guay

« on: August 02, 2011, 09:27:58 PM »

Years ago, a good any% speedrun involved racing through the desert maze with no guide, breaking the desert temple etc etc. Sure the RBA speedruns now are quicker, but -- call me old-fashioned -- the pre-RBA speedruns are somehow more entertaining (dungeon breakage >> dropping a bug and picking it up again). The first any% I ever saw was on speeddemosarchive about 5 years ago, and it had dungeons in  Smiley -- and of course it's not there now.

Does anyone know where I could find a pre-RBA any% OoT run? [it will actually involve doing a temple or two...].

TL:DR background: I told my kids that they could have every zelda game ever for their Wii, on condition that they had to beat each one before they got the next one. I don't know if that makes me worst Dad ever or best Dad ever; opinions might be divided. But it does mean that I have a 9-year-old and an 11-year-old that have beaten Zelda 1, Zelda 2, and, last week, LttP. No walkthroughs allowed; all they can have is hints from Dad, and Dad is pretty mean about giving out hints (they only get a hint if they're proper stuck). After they beat a game we get to watch an any% and a TAS and we laugh about how much fun damage-boosting is etc. So this week they see OoT with their own eyes, for the first time. What a joy to behold. Of course they both love it -- neither of them even understood, in some sense, that Zelda could be 3d. I've just spent an hour today watching some kids beat the Deku Tree temple for the first time in their lives, trying to figure it all out -- I've seen two kids yesterday discovering for themselves that sticks burn. Brilliant. Just brilliant. Oh -- to make things even worse -- I don't give them the manual! "You don't need a manual -- you have me -- Z-targetting goes like this" etc etc, so of course they're now convinced that there are only 3 temples in the game *evil grin*. I really really really cannot wait until they find the 3 stones and get the Master Sword. That blew me away when I first saw it -- I still remember -- and it will blow them away too. Running back into the marketplace after 7 years and it being a wasteland -- that is a major game event and it's going to happen soon, in my house, in front of two wide-eyed kids -- just like it happened to their Dad years ago. But when they're done, they're going to want to watch an any% and when I show it them they'll be all "nice forest escape but where are the temples Dad?". I think I'd like to show them child link walking to the desert colossus, because that is something that sounds pretty far-fetched if you've just finished the game for the first time...
RingRush
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:04:45 PM »

Runnerguy2489 should have a 5-temple speedrun on his youtube, though it is segmented.

What also may be interesting is an all-dungeon run, called MST by the community (Medallions, Stones, Trials). Currently, ZFG has the best run (in one sitting, not segmented), which can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBY56yZdBAI
This actually has a lot more glitches and tricks than the old 5-temple style any%s.

ded
UchihaSasuke
Special Guay

move over Chidori, time to spam infinite Susano'o

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 07:11:05 AM »

any% without RBA is a pretty fun category too (don't get a bottle for more challenge)
i wish more people did that category but it looks like MST is the only non-standard category that gets all the attention.
in MQ, this category is really close to MST since you have to visit every temple there because you need most of the items.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 07:13:58 AM by UchihaSasuke » Logged

"Patience is useful in any moment"

Youtube Account 1
Youtube Account 2
canard
Regular Guay

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 07:42:17 AM »

Thanks for the comments. I never found RunnerGuy's 5-temple run (he has a lot of youtube stuff) but I've just finished watching ZFG's run and it was very entertaining. I like the way the fire temple is left until last -- the only temple that you have to actually plough through, to a certain extent. Everything else it's "glitch to the boss" or "glitch to the item then glitch to the boss". I guess glitching upwards is hard  Smiley
UchihaSasuke
Special Guay

move over Chidori, time to spam infinite Susano'o

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:44:11 AM »

OoT's clippping is really bad in retrospect.

"Patience is useful in any moment"

Youtube Account 1
Youtube Account 2
leeboiy
Regular Guay

Well Come!

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 12:04:27 AM »

best Dad ever
^.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: