ZSR Forums
May 16, 2024, 03:29:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best solution for european speed runners?  (Read 6876 times)
btastic
Regular Guay

« on: July 19, 2013, 11:55:45 AM »

Hey whats up guys,

I'm kind of new to this forum, still reading a lot of stuff and getting into the game. I started speed running by watching ZFG and I always loved the game. So I DL'd an emulator and the japanese version of OoT and started glitching and I was doing pretty well with a Ps3 controller.

Then I thought I should get a N64 and do it without the emulation stuff. Unfortunatly I live in europe and the easiest things are super hard on PAL N64. Like, I can get the aquaescape in kokiri forest in about 8/10 times on emulator, and on N64 it was like 15 tries before I even got it. Its super hard and it feels super weired.

So whats the best solution for me? I thought about VC and playing NTSC versions on it. But I want a good opinion from you awesome guys.

Thank you in advance
Ben

also known as Sutso
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

I'm an artist :O

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 01:06:57 PM »

PAL N64 runs 5/6th of the normal speed, so it sucks ass in everyway. Mod your Wii and get the NTSC-J VC ROM.

The second option is to use Gamecube. (Collectors edition disc or the Wind waker bonus disc) They lose time with saving and quitting because you have to load the game from the menu everytime. The controls however are way better.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pedalpowerluigi

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol
btastic
Regular Guay

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 01:12:52 PM »

PAL N64 runs 5/6th of the normal speed, so it sucks ass in everyway. Mod your Wii and get the NTSC-J VC ROM.

The second option is to use Gamecube. (Collectors edition disc or the Wind waker bonus disc) They lose time with saving and quitting because you have to load the game from the menu everytime. The controls however are way better.

Yes thats what I noticed. My timings were off on every glitch, because I was expecting specific frames too early...

Alright I'm gonna get a Wii then, it also has some more Zelda games which could be nice aswell.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it

also known as Sutso
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 02:47:30 PM »

The PAL N64 and PAL VC versions of OoT (PAL GC is the same as NTSC) are horrible for glitching in general because of the way rolling works in them. They tried to make the rolls match NTSC by shortening them to 5/6 the length, but in the process they removed the frame that allows you to megaflip off of enemy damage and made superslides and megaflips in general much, much harder. In fact, in some larger areas on PAL you can't even superslide at all as adult with 1 bomb because the frames that normally make it possible aren't there (you lose a bit of leeway on supersliding in larger areas because of the way the game handles explosions [see also: contortion hovering], and on PAL that little bit was all there was in the first place).

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
Mothership_Connection
Deku Scrub

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 07:17:30 AM »

Interesting info ING-X, I never knew all that.

The most practical and most used method is to get a Wii, softmod it and install the Japanese VC version of OoT.

It's too bad you have to resort to piracy, but because of the region lock and the inability to get it through the shop channel, it's the only way.

Or, you could get an NTSC N64 (American works) and the Japanese cartridge on eBay (1.0 is recommended since you can do some additional glitches). You mentioned ZFG, that's what he uses. You'd have to alter the cartridge a bit so that it fits, but that's easy to do.

Good luck.
btastic
Regular Guay

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 11:05:02 AM »

Thanks for your answers!

Importing a console from america and a cartridge from japan is pretty expensive. The console is usually like 40-50$ and the game for 20-30$ + power adapter + shipping, taxes etc. If I buy a used Wii on eBay I pay like 60-70€ and its almost shipping free and no taxes. In my opinion its not really piracy since I own a Zelda OoT PAL cartridge. But what ever.. I'm gonna get a Wii and do it Smiley

Thanks

also known as Sutso
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 12:35:50 PM »

It isnt legal to download ROMs, let alone versions that you dont own, even if you have the PAL cart. You buying a game means you can play it but you dont really own it, i cant really explain what I mean...

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol
btastic
Regular Guay

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »

It isnt legal to download ROMs, let alone versions that you dont own, even if you have the PAL cart. You buying a game means you can play it but you dont really own it, i cant really explain what I mean...

Im not saying its legal, also it is depending on where you live since there are different laws. Let's just say I won't download Roms for it ok? Smiley

also known as Sutso
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 07:40:24 PM »

You can also use an import adapter on a European N64. I got one for like 15 bucks. JP OoT was 15 bucks from ebay and with the adapter I am able to also change it to English text. You can also get an NTSC US OoT this way and change it to Japanese text.

Wii is still the best (fastest for your times) option if you don't do 100%.
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 08:58:25 PM »

Most of those are pretty unreliable, either break easily, dont work or your TV isnt compatible. Mine doesnt want to work even when trying to boot PAL games :/

Lol
btastic
Regular Guay

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 01:03:22 PM »

I bought a Wii yesteday, VC + Gamecube Controller = ftw.. I just need to get used to the controller. NTSC is easy since my video grabber  is working with PAL or NTSC. Im just worrying when I'll buy an actual TV and can't use the games / Wii on it because of NTSC :/

also known as Sutso
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: