ZSRM 2015 Hotel

<< < (3/3)

TestRunner:
I contacted the hotel, they are both booked and their internet is not good enough

keymakr:
Just want to put my opinion on here real quick. I'd personally be against doing it at a frat house. Even though this isn't going to be a huge marathon on the scale of the GDQs, having it there would just seem very unprofessional and a little bit sleezy. I personally wouldn't feel very comfortable going if we held it there and would probably have to pass. Having something close to public transport however would be a huge plus (that's my only beef with the other option) as it would really help people get in. I looked quick at google maps from NYC to get Meadville via public transport and there simply wasn't any way of doing it.

Also, just some side things that are off topic from the hotel search stuff. Let me know if you want me to edit it out (I don't want to distract from the hotel conversation):
1) I saw on the general discussions thread from the #zelda irc meetup that we were looking at something like July 10-13. Even though I know this date isn't set it stone, are we defiantly looking at a friday-monday timescale on the marathon? I'm just starting to look at getting the days off from work and seeing how much vacation time I have. Just want to know how many vacation days I should keep on hold in case I end up attending.

2) Are there any runners from the NYC area that would be interested in a carpool? If so either just do a quick reply here or PM me. I don't want to clog up the hotel search thread with tangential posts.

Habreno:
I went to college at Allegheny (which is in Meadville) and I have to say that the food selection is actually pretty solid. You have your normal fast-food places, pizza (Domino's, if it matters), and a few other smaller chains/independents for faster food. Think there's a couple sit-down places too. There's also a couple gas stations (Sheetz, think one other) with food options on the strip.

The hotel itself isn't bad. My mother stayed there when she came to see me. The rooms in general are clean, but there are a couple buildings. If I remember correctly their main conference spaces are in/close to the hotel lobby. Friendly staff.

Parking at the hotel isn't a big issue, there's a fair bit of spots.

I think it'd be a decent place. Good luck guys!

TestRunner:
So I finally found another hotel: http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-somerset-pennsylvania-PA497

It's actually really nice, and should be in a better location, although still a but far from the coast. It's close to the airport and has shuttles. Free breakfast. There's nearby food. A lot more space (1600ft ballroom) which would easily accommodate for 40+ people if we have that many. The place in general looks really nice. The big catch is that it's more expensive. The bedrooms are about the same price, but the ballroom is not. However if we have more attend for the increased size, then the cost wouldn't be that much more. Probably 75$ entree fee (compared to like 50$ for the Days Inn)? The internet situation is a bit unknown. They have a LAN line, but I don't know how fast it is. The Days Inn internet is only 5 up, and is really expensive...

I'll drive up and check out the place and take pictures next week.

Let me know what you guys think of this place.

TestRunner:
After visiting the place, I've decided that were are going to stick with the Quality Inn. The internet there wasn't good enough, but they can upgrade it to 15up, so it should be fine. There's a lot of food in the area; McDonald, Subway, Ruby, etc. There's also a lot of hotels apparently? The bedrooms were pretty standard, but the bathroom was a bit small. Half the rooms will have a fridge and microwave which will cost an extra $10 for those room. There is a limit of 4 people per room. There's free breakfast everyday. The hotel said they'll try to get the shuttle to the airport worked out, but that's unknown still. We may need to setup carpooling if that doesn't work out. I'll get the group code and contract worked out next week. Please feel free to use this thread to try to find roommates and work things out.

In the meantime, I'll put the game submission live: http://bombch.us/2c3

(I edited the OP to have all this info)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page