ZSR Forums
May 22, 2024, 10:49:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WESS (Changing direction/rotation)  (Read 7773 times)
Traivlin
Deku Scrub

« on: September 12, 2013, 07:21:09 AM »

Hey,

I'm trying to learn some OoT glitches to speedrun this myself and participate in races.
It seems like the community is pretty awesome compared to others.

Anyway, what's the best way to change the rotation in a WESS unbuffered?
I've tried tilting the N64 analog stick 180°, but it's really hard to get it.
My controller is pretty much new, never used it, so this might be the issue?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:39:51 AM by Traivlin » Logged
WallIsReflect
Deku Scrub

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:09:39 AM »

ESS position goes all the way around the control stick in a ring.  You have to go in a semicircle from one direction to the other, so you change from left to right or vice versa without ever leaving ESS position.  If you go in a straight line you'll lose the WESS because you leave ESS position.  It might take some time to get used to the new controller before you can do it consistently, since every controller feels slightly different for ESS, especially if the stick is already worn.
Traivlin
Deku Scrub

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:16:08 AM »

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've already been doing.
ESS is so easy, but I can only successfully change the rotation like 25% of the time. It feels very awkward and is pretty much the hardest thing for me to do right now.
SlapTheCat
Deku Scrub

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 07:28:58 PM »

What trick is it you need to change directions for? as far I can think there aren't that many
Traivlin
Deku Scrub

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 11:07:17 AM »

Yes, there aren't that many ocassions where this is helpful, but it doesn't hurt to learn it anyway. Other than that, there is one in Any% (Kakariko before Night).
cafde
Site Editor
Regular Guay

FrankerZ

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 12:14:13 AM »

I find ess angle changing to be a bit easier on a worn out stick (this is especially true for mm since it has a smaller ess range than oot).

It's useful, really, any time you want to cross hyrule field with a HESS.

Also, the wess method where you do it right after exiting zora's river only saves some 3 seconds or so, really not worth going for unless you're trying for a top time.

whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 09:58:13 AM »

Are you on emulator or on N64?
Traivlin
Deku Scrub

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »

Also, the wess method where you do it right after exiting zora's river only saves some 3 seconds or so, really not worth going for unless you're trying for a top time.

I don't know why, but I find it easier than the fence WESS, maybe because you can't really mess up your angle.
Also I know the timing and get the WESS almost every time, but I just can't do the rotation change.

Are you on emulator or on N64?

I'm on emulator.
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »

I'm on emulator.
Maybe your controller settings are off then. Try messing around with the deadzone. I think you need to put it to 0% to get it like on N64.

Also, are you using an official N64 controller, with an official analog stick (no aftermarket crap)?
Traivlin
Deku Scrub

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 11:33:54 AM »

Yes, it came with my Pikachu N64 thousands of years ago Tongue

I already have deadzone on 0% though... Guess it's just harder with an unused controller.
Fishaman P
Regular Guay

12 Year Old Grill

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 01:54:28 AM »

Yes, it came with my Pikachu N64 thousands of years ago Tongue

I already have deadzone on 0% though... Guess it's just harder with an unused controller.
I'm pretty sure that if you tweak the controller settings through the Windows calibration (or w/e OS you're on), you can get the controller to be more precise around ESS territory.

Oh, and that mouth WESS swag.  Until you get the hang of unbuffered angle changing (at least 60% consistency), just buffer it.  You only lose a max of 2 seconds, though that could be a smidge higher on bad (read: all) emulators.

What dos RBA stand for?
Reverse Bel-Air.
Traivlin
Deku Scrub

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 02:34:12 PM »

Yeah, I've already got the hang of it. I can do it unbuffered consistently enough (like 90% of the time). I appreciate the help, guys Smiley The standard range (66%) of Pj64 is kinda questionable though, because I can't run (only alternate between fast walk and run) if I push the analog stick down-right all the way. I'm kind of concerned, because the rules are saying that you have to use standard settings - I don't know...

I've already calibrated through Windows 7 btw. Something isn't really precise here...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:50:56 PM by Traivlin » Logged
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 09:47:07 AM »

Yeah, I've already got the hang of it. I can do it unbuffered consistently enough (like 90% of the time). I appreciate the help, guys Smiley The standard range (66%) of Pj64 is kinda questionable though, because I can't run (only alternate between fast walk and run) if I push the analog stick down-right all the way. I'm kind of concerned, because the rules are saying that you have to use standard settings - I don't know...

I've already calibrated through Windows 7 btw. Something isn't really precise here...
You are allowed to change the controller settings.

I am not 100% sure I understand how the range option works, but I think if you screw around too much with the range you also have the chance of making your ess region smaller, making the trick harder. You want to make sure to put the range in a way that only if you are very close to having a max input on your analog stick Link will run.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: