ZSR Forums
May 07, 2024, 06:50:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: who found the ganondoor wrong warp ?  (Read 5764 times)
GCTK24
Regular Guay

Email
« on: May 18, 2014, 10:35:06 PM »

No for real.....how the hell did someone find this Cheesy ?
Is there any video of the guy who found this ?
Would really like to know how someone got the idea to wrong warp from ghoma....
Jbop
Twenty-three is number one! Do you think I'm a traitor?

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 10:45:27 PM »

r0bd0g theorized it after looking at the entrance table and asked sockfolder to test it out. The streams of him testing are prob still on sockfolder's Twitch channel.

Quote from:  ZFG on March 24, 2008, 8:27:24 AM
Quote from:  Prognosis_4 on March 24, 2008, 8:25:50 AM
Why are you guys so certain it's possible?
Because its OoT.
gamestabled
Site Editor
Special Guay

B e t A Q u e S t

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 01:37:42 AM »

Christianf23 discovered how to skip medallion cutscenes by getting away from the blue warp and dying, and found that doing it in fire temple made you wrong warp to forest temple
That night so many people were testing all kinds of crazy shit, and discovered that you can wrong warp from Deku, DC and fire temple
They realized it works with farores wind too, not just dying. This is when "Ganonless" was dicovered
~2 months later, like jbop said, r0bd0g saw that theoretically you could just use the door in gohmas room instead of farores wind
sockfolder tested it, it worked
On that day, ZFG got the any% world record of 35:12, and the rest is history

Ganon's back, baby!

when i grow up, i wanna be just like taylortotftw
nathanisbored
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 02:43:26 AM »

Christianf23 discovered how to skip medallion cutscenes by getting away from the blue warp and dying

And before that, Acryte found how to do it using FW on B or a trade item timer back in 2008 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3BMT3dlewM
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:46:32 AM by nathanisbored » Logged
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 04:06:32 AM »

I helped by bringing up the relationship between entrance tables and wrong warps, as well as helping r0bd0g understand what I knew at that point (which was better than nothing, but admittedly had a lot of flaws to it vs what we know now), but the concept of Ganondoor was completely off my radar at the time.

I kind of feel like I failed on many levels when it came to discovering the big tricks to wrong warping, because I had a bit more than a feeling that this was possible but never fully explored the possibilities.

Wrong warping really starts back as far as the beta quest code from years ago.

Later on Acryte came insanely close to triggering wrong warp years ago, and actually in 2006 had like the first part to Ganondoor (pulling out an Ocarina on a blue warp). The FW and Frog Timer cutscene skips were discovered later on by him, but he only tested the Forest Temple warps I think.

I went back to Acryte's stuff one time when I was starting to learn MHS, and this led me to realized that wrong warping (under the notion of Beta Quest) was possible, but I never fully tested all the possibilities. I have like a save state from 2011 with Adult Link, ocarina out, on the DC blue warp. I was trying to time things super late which is why it never worked. It was about here that I discovered the relationship between the entrance table found by rom hackers long before me on spinout's wiki, and with this information I thought I knew a good portion of how beta quest/wrong warping worked, and came up with the Nocturne -> Tower Collapse theory.

Then death hole wrong warp was discovered in Ocarina of Time 3D within days of it's release, but nobody actually knew it for certain until much later since dhww puts you in a rather unplayable state.

Wrong warp's discovery caught me at a bad time since I was taking classes. Nocturne -> Tower Collapse via FWWW turned out to be a failure because of the cutscene pointer, a factor I had only recently observed a few weeks/months before FWWW was discovered.

From there I just worked on figuring out why things weren't working the way I thought they should, but didn't figure it all out until much later after Ganondoor was discovered when I finally got around to starting to learn how to reverse engineer scene/room files.

That led to a number of minor discoveries, both related and unrelated to wrong warping
  • Wrong warps into scenes with alt setups = same cutscene or always crash vs wrong warps into scenes with no alt setups = cutscene pointer dependence
  • Ganondoor wrong warp with Deku Tree intro cutscene pointer having only one possible outcome across all n64 versions (i.e. outcome can't be changed by Links actions rather than it won't crash on any version)
  • Developed the ganondoor pause trick backup strat
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:15:35 AM by mzxrules » Logged

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
GCTK24
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 12:51:43 PM »

Thank you guys Smiley!
Really interesting stuff!
SilentKnight115
Deku Scrub

Starlight Adventurer

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 07:34:23 PM »

Went back through sock's old highlights, at about 56 is where he first gets it as child without crashing. He's skyping with ZFG and it's kinda cool to hear them theorize out in real time what we all know so well today. The deku shield burning crash is pretty funny.  Grin

http://www.twitch.tv/sockfolder/b/314885470

They speak of thunder, I prefer the quiet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: