ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 03:23:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28
  Print  
Author Topic: BiT Research Topic  (Read 227506 times)
TLoZSR
Regular Guay

Working on Skyward Sword: segmented and rta

Email
« Reply #390 on: September 21, 2012, 05:21:19 AM »

Ok, here's how BiT skyloft works. (feel free to correct me testrunner)

When you continue and reset to initiate BiT you actually spawn on the title screen's map. If you look at the title screen normally, you'll see that there's actually an entire skyloft map on it. If you look hard, you'll see that the title screen is very bright, the same reason BiT skyloft is very bright. You actually spawn on that title screen map. That means that obviously, things like the knight don't have to be in the map, however, for some reason I don't know, triggers still work perfectly fine for the most part. You are not in faron trial, or anywhere else, you are actually on the title screen's version of skyloft.
kenshen
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #391 on: September 21, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »

New breakthrough/theory: is Skyloft BiT the REAL Skyloft, or the psuedo-Skyloft you see in the skies when flying your Loftwing???

Video: http://youtu.be/B9t8YjJkNRQ

With my new discovery - loading a map in BiT psuedo-Skyloft, it's clear that this isn't really Skyloft you're on, but the Sky itself!

Surely you can't go to the Lumpy Pumpkin or the color island, but technically I should be able to fly my Loftwing below the clouds! However, loading a map from my complete file has actually loaded the sky when it should have loaded Skyloft-only!

Technically, think of it - no people, and the mirror is down. Possibly the ONLY reason you see the full Skyloft at night is because, when you leave a house, you're ACTUALLY ENTERING SKYLOFT!

The only reason Lumpy Pumpkin is notloaded is that it "thinks" you're actually in Skyloft, so it loads the statues, but the people actors are still missing, including the knights. Also, note that the birds flying above Skyloft only appear when you're in the sky.

So, you're not really in Skyloft.

Also, when you save at a save point, and start a file and it's all bright, remember this: the intro that you play on a new file? The cutscene where Zelda hands the letter to her bird looks EXACTLY like the Skyloft you see when you save at a save point in BiT and start your file!

^ your on two maps TLoZSR my theory was that your on three all at the same time which would explain atleast tom me any way why we cant go inside and back out a building 
Abahbob
Site Editor
Special Guay

I make videos of games that are done very fast.

Email
« Reply #392 on: November 01, 2012, 04:13:11 AM »

You are in the title screen.
I promise you that you are not on 2 or 3 maps.
BiT has nothing to do with the Faron Trial, that is complete and absolute bullshit.
BiT in every other game just puts you on the title screen, or in The Wind Waker's case, on the map you were returning to.
The colors of the actual title screen is the same as the BiT map.
The Knight doesn't spawn for the cutscene because his actor is not on that map. Because of this, the camera is not able to follow him and it is glitched.

I can tell you this: loading 3 maps on top of each other would look horrible and most likely crash because of lack of RAM.

The Faron silent realm is a map. Each map has it's own lighting. There is no reason, and most likely no possibility, that a map could load from another map's data. If you were in the Faron silent realm, you would be in Faron, in the silent realm. Not on Skyloft.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #393 on: November 01, 2012, 07:04:55 AM »

You can load elements from another map with TP BiTE though IIRC.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Abahbob
Site Editor
Special Guay

I make videos of games that are done very fast.

Email
« Reply #394 on: November 01, 2012, 10:08:13 PM »

You can load elements from another map with TP BiTE though IIRC.
So you can be on one map with what elements from another map?
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #395 on: November 02, 2012, 08:52:46 AM »

The only thing that really stands out is that you pull the area music from the other save. I also want to say that the lighting is different as well

Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Antidote
Deku Scrub

WWW Email
« Reply #396 on: January 04, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »

^ your on two maps TLoZSR my theory was that your on three all at the same time which would explain atleast tom me any way why we cant go inside and back out a building  
You're wrong about why you can't go inside and back out a building, and I'll tell you why. It's pretty simple really, when you cause a BiT certain flags aren't set because when F000_stg_l0.arc.LZ is loaded up, it's using one of two available zev.dat files for skyloft, one being for the normal skyloft and one for the title screen. So when you try enter a house you're not setting those flags (or setting them to incorrect values) which causes the game to invoke a kind of "Failsafe" mode, which is better than the DSI you get when trying to load an invalid file.

EDIT:
iirc the alternate zev.dat file isn't stored with skyloft, it may be imbedded within the main.dol (haven't checked)
TestRunner
Regular Guay

Skyward Sword Editor

« Reply #397 on: May 26, 2013, 02:13:19 AM »

Can someone figure out where BiT reads from memory? This has been kinda annoying for a while. Tricks like "opening the gates in BiT" and "Early Thunderhead" and all the various random cutscenes that play... it's all very mysterious. Like I understand the general idea behind it, I was just hoping someone could find the specifics. I'm fairly sure there's got to be some stuff we are missing if we just had some detailed testing in a memory viewer.

<Triforce3250> You're my hero mode
Antidote
Deku Scrub

WWW Email
« Reply #398 on: January 06, 2014, 09:33:50 PM »

Can someone figure out where BiT reads from memory? This has been kinda annoying for a while. Tricks like "opening the gates in BiT" and "Early Thunderhead" and all the various random cutscenes that play... it's all very mysterious. Like I understand the general idea behind it, I was just hoping someone could find the specifics. I'm fairly sure there's got to be some stuff we are missing if we just had some detailed testing in a memory viewer.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it seems to me that BiT is simply a failsafe, a kind of error handler. The affects of the BiT, while unintended, were considered better than the alternative. Overall it's just bad programming on Nintendo's part. As for the exact details of HOW it works, again I'm not certain.
TLoZSR
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #399 on: February 04, 2014, 08:42:23 AM »

FYI: some BiT stuff, choco and I are trying to find some more stuff with BiT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR5_Z5KrSbs
Antidote
Deku Scrub

WWW Email
« Reply #400 on: February 23, 2014, 08:04:05 PM »

Reposted here in case youtube eats it:

The area you're working in is known as "Level scratchpad", basically it's where volatile metadata gets stored, if you wish to know more about the format please refer to my documentation project:
https://code.google.com/p/skyward-sword-save-editor/source/browse/trunk/save%20editor/Skyward%20Sword%20Save%20Format.txt

I've also written a save editor for it available on my github: https://github.com/Antidote
TLoZSR
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #401 on: April 24, 2014, 03:10:26 AM »

BiT stuff from Bob_LobLaw

http://pastebin.com/zJBAmBri
Antidote
Deku Scrub

WWW Email
« Reply #402 on: May 03, 2014, 06:08:21 PM »

He's correct on every point except one, he used binary blob correctly XD
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #403 on: May 04, 2014, 04:36:39 AM »

Some things that bug me about the pastebin.

Object State is a terrible name since object is such a broad term, and the flags don't capture the state of a singular entity. They seem to be equivalent to Ocarina of Time's scene flags, but maybe i'm mistaken?

I don't like the term blob because blobs have an indefinite shape, whereas if i'm reading it right each "blob" is a static 16 bytes. I'd call it a block.

"It's important to note that the arrangement and schema of one blob, have nothing to do with any other. What would be a perfectly reasonable blob in Faron might be complete nonsense if inserted into the spot of the Skyloft blob, for example."

That to me seems unnecessarily confusing. Should be something like "The data in one block will be interpreted differently if loaded in a different area".

"Note: if you monkey with the state index byte, you still won't be able to get your file to load your area into a bizarre state. I'm guessing that the game performs some sort of sanity check to make sure that this index belongs with the map you're saved in. This begs the question of why it stores this byte at all since it calculates it on load"

Not sure what that means exactly.

I fucking love how BiT has turned into a trick that involves manipulating bits.

Braid
The Link Between Worlds
Regular Guay

Expert Glitch Theorist. Pro Doom Jumper. BiT God.

« Reply #404 on: May 06, 2014, 08:59:45 PM »

For those who were curious, glitching the GS this way and then grabbing the practice sword does nothing. You maintain the GS Tongue

As for dying in Skyloft, you can jump from the Goddess Statue area down to the area below where you normally follow Fi to get up. I'm not sure if there's a more effective way or not.
You can jump off the top of the Light Tower to take damage, but it's a pain in the ass to climb up, jump off, climb up, jump off, etc.

Quote from: Dolly Parton
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.
Quote from: Myself
LIES!!! I direct the wind using my beautiful Wind Waker! Parton's a dumb b***h!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28
  Print  

Jump to: