Author Topic: 100% definition  (Read 49145 times)

Offline AniMeowzerz

• Special Guay
  • Meow, and... stuff.
Re: 100% definition
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 06:41:04 PM »
Ah ok, that's reasonable enough. I thought it would be an actual number counter, but that's good enough knowing "you got them all, you can stop now"
RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.

Offline EverAlert

• Regular Guay
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 07:19:37 PM »
I actually noticed this only after I got them all, I assumed it would give a number counter like it does one of the other ones. (I think it was gratitude crystals?) But yeah either way it does keep track of whether you got them all or not.

Offline CloudMax

• Site Editor
  • Mega Guay
    • CloudModding
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 11:36:57 PM »
Well, then it seems that most people agree that we should get the cubes now.
In the IRC when we talked about it yesterday, most people were against it because you couldn't keep track if you had all the cubes or not.
Now we actually have it in the pause menu.

If chests should be opened or not now is questionable and will probably end up being a decision made out of personal opinions and nothing more. But they do show a huge purple dot on every location on your map, which by some peoples logic would require them. But because they do not give you any useful rewards, they shouldn't be required.
I do not really want to open them, but to me it wouldn't matter if we had to open them, since it only would add like 10-20 minutes to a speedrun at most since we pass almost all the places after we've unlocked the chests.

And I'm still at either no medals (except for heart container ones), or all.
Statues doesn't really bother to me that much to be honest. It is just one of those small things that I want to have completed in my own personal 100% files. If it is part of the speedrunning definition doesn't really matter.
The same goes for rupee dowsing, which I do not even remember how you unlock. And if rupee dowsing isn't required, then heart dowsing shouldn't be either.

Offline Large_Dildo

• Regular Guay
  • per....so......na
    • my bands website
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2011, 11:56:34 PM »
Well, then it seems that most people agree that we should get the cubes now.
In the IRC when we talked about it yesterday, most people were against it because you couldn't keep track if you had all the cubes or not.
Now we actually have it in the pause menu.
I don't mean to alarm you, but most people definitly haven't agreed on accepting cubes in. It seems like most people are against the cubes because they aren't collected and lead to useless chests that wouldn't get opened. With that said though, I do agree that all cubes should be unlocked since they are shown on the menu.

If chests should be opened or not now is questionable and will probably end up being a decision made out of personal opinions and nothing more. But they do show a huge purple dot on every location on your map, which by some peoples logic would require them. But because they do not give you any useful rewards, they shouldn't be required.
I do not really want to open them, but to me it wouldn't matter if we had to open them, since it only would add like 10-20 minutes to a speedrun at most since we pass almost all the places after we've unlocked the chests.
This is extremely arbitrary. 100% wouldn't require collecting all chests in dungeons, so why would the goddess cube chests need to be collected? It's adding length for the sake of extending an already huge category.

idk about medals w/e
I believe in true bromance

[13:33] <Greg> LD I love u
[13:33] <Greg> !!!!!!
[13:33] <Large_Dildo> suck my dick
[13:33] <Greg> yes!!!!

Offline CloudMax

• Site Editor
  • Mega Guay
    • CloudModding
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2011, 12:10:13 AM »
This is extremely arbitrary. 100% wouldn't require collecting all chests in dungeons, so why would the goddess cube chests need to be collected? It's adding length for the sake of extending an already huge category.

Personal opinions. And we shouldn't compare them with the regular chests in dungeons, since they are very different in many ways.

I'm not saying that the should or shouldn't be opened, I'm just mentioning it.

Also, isn't the purpose of 100% to make a huge category where you do most of the stuff in the game?

Lets just put it this way:
I bring a friend home and tell him that I have 100% in a game.
We start up the game and he checks that map and asks "what are those purple dots?".
I'd answer, "it is chests you can unlock throughout the game, but I haven't opened them, because they do not contain anything useful".
Any person I know would instantly say that I do not have 100% in the game, because I avoid opening these special chests that are marked on the map, simply because I do not find the content useful.

So, from a casual gamers perspective, it would be a part of 100%, no doubt. And for my own personal file, it is a must for the file to be considered 100%.
But when it comes to the 100% definition, the rules will always be different.

And one last time: I am not saying that we should or shouldn't open them. I am just putting it out there so that people can think about it, because some people clearly doesn't. Some people just think "this is not fun and it takes a long time, and therefore we won't do it".

Offline Large_Dildo

• Regular Guay
  • per....so......na
    • my bands website
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2011, 12:37:24 AM »
Also, isn't the purpose of 100% to make a huge category where you do most of the stuff in the game?
That's a vague way of defining it. 100% means to complete all significant goals. Things like walking on every pixel or entering every door are obviously excluded because they don't have an effect on the actual gameplay.
Lets just put it this way:
I bring a friend home and tell him that I have 100% in a game.
We start up the game and he checks that map and asks "what are those purple dots?".
I'd answer, "it is chests you can unlock throughout the game, but I haven't opened them, because they do not contain anything useful".
Any person I know would instantly say that I do not have 100% in the game, because I avoid opening these special chests that are marked on the map, simply because I do not find the content useful.
First of all, lets not let casual players decide on the requirements of a speedrun category. They really don't matter in this case. Secondly,  collecting the rupee chests without a need for them is literally pointless. It'd be like breaking every pot or reading every sign. In no other games has been collecting excess rupees been a requirement of 100% and there is little reason to start now. I know that previously the 100% categories were defined with somewhat questionable reasoning, but they all avoid redundancy. That's not a tradition that would be good to break here.

So, from a casual gamers perspective, it would be a part of 100%, no doubt. And for my own personal file, it is a must for the file to be considered 100%.
But when it comes to the 100% definition, the rules will always be different.
casual gamers don't have a centralized definition of this speedrun category. We're safe for now.

And one last time: I am not saying that we should or shouldn't open them. I am just putting it out there so that people can think about it, because some people clearly doesn't. Some people just think "this is not fun and it takes a long time, and therefore we won't do it".
I don't want them to be included because they're pointless, not because of how fun it is.
I believe in true bromance

[13:33] <Greg> LD I love u
[13:33] <Greg> !!!!!!
[13:33] <Large_Dildo> suck my dick
[13:33] <Greg> yes!!!!

Offline CloudMax

• Site Editor
  • Mega Guay
    • CloudModding
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2011, 03:05:53 AM »
I have a question regarding the goddess cubes in the pause menu.
When you've found all it says that there isn't any cubes left.
Was this done on a file where all chests were opened?

Because on a file that hasn't taken all cubes/chest it tells you that it allows you to dowse for the cubes AND chests, which it does.
Maybe it tells you that there stilla re chests left that hasn't been opened if you haven't opened all?
This would make a big difference in whether or not all the chests should be opened.
If it is mentioned in both the pause menu and on the map, I think we should open them. If not, then we don't.
Because if it turns out that it tells you that there still is chests left to be opened, it would be similar to how you get the last 50 golden skulltulas in OoT.
Both will give you the useless rewards of rupees, but we still get them because it is displayed within the status menu.

I do not see how anyone could avoid this fact. So someone who have a file with all cubes unlocked that still have chests that hasn't been opened yet should check this.

Offline EverAlert

• Regular Guay
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2011, 03:47:59 AM »
Yeah, all the chests were open. As I said in the original post mentioning the dowsing thing, I'm not sure if the tracker includes the chests or not. Someone should check this out for sure.

Offline AniMeowzerz

• Special Guay
  • Meow, and... stuff.
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2011, 04:03:58 AM »
I'll test this on my hero mode file, gimme a bit
Note: hero mode giving you full skyward strike is unbelievably broken, you can grab so many of these from far away lol
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:10:35 AM by AniMeowzerz »
RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.

Offline Tamis

• Regular Guay
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2011, 05:12:20 AM »
Note: hero mode giving you full skyward strike is unbelievably broken, you can grab so many of these from far away lol

I got a question to ask about that.

How many "levels" of skyward strike are there ? From what i've read there's only two (basic one you have through the first two thirds of normal mode, and advanced one you have in the end, and during whole hero mode), but i've seen on a video someone charging it instantly, while on my hero file I still have to wait a bit (like .2 second), is there a third level you unlock further in the hero mode ? Which would be instant and have even more range ? Cause the one I have still has limited range too.

Offline CloudMax

• Site Editor
  • Mega Guay
    • CloudModding
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2011, 05:19:46 AM »
I got a question to ask about that.

How many "levels" of skyward strike are there ? From what i've read there's only two (basic one you have through the first two thirds of normal mode, and advanced one you have in the end, and during whole hero mode), but i've seen on a video someone charging it instantly, while on my hero file I still have to wait a bit (like .2 second), is there a third level you unlock further in the hero mode ? Which would be instant and have even more range ? Cause the one I have still has limited range too.

Hero mode always have the longest and strongest skyward strike possible.
In hero mode you get instant skyward strike where you normally would get the improved skyward strike.

Offline Tamis

• Regular Guay
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2011, 05:27:40 AM »
Okay that's what I thought, so there are 2 powers and 3 speeds to it.
You first have power 1 - speed 1, then power 2 - speed 2
And in hero mode you have power 2 - speed 2 then you unlock power 2 - speed 3 if I'm right :p

I was surprised to see TheOnly0 instant skyward strike in the end of his hero mode, as I haven't finished mine atm (I can only play on week ends as my Wii is at my parents' -.-), thanks for the info.

Offline aleckermit

• Mega Guay
  • back in green
    • Youtube.com/aleckermit
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2011, 09:24:40 AM »
All B items and their upgrades
All medals
8 pouches
All HC's and HP's
5 bottles
Hylian Shield
9900 wallet
Dowsing slots full

Let's all just settle on that and be done with it :P.

PS: I did not know that you needed the two HC medals to have 20 HC's... I thought they'd be 2 extras, making 22 total. In that case all medals is ibviously the way to go.. and I've had all HP's all this time thinking I had 8 more to find lol.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:41:26 AM by aleckermit »
http://youtube.com/aleckermit

<@Swordless> Have you had this problem before? A game not starting until you cleaned it?

Offline AniMeowzerz

• Special Guay
  • Meow, and... stuff.
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2011, 09:48:35 AM »
I just collected all the Cubes, and it doesn't update what it says at all. Collecting the chests..

Offline Narcissa Wright

• Admin
  • Mega Guay
    • ZSR
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2011, 09:54:52 AM »
One of my wishlists for this game was that they include a % counter. Why Nintendo, why

Offline AniMeowzerz

• Special Guay
  • Meow, and... stuff.
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2011, 10:26:38 AM »
One of my wishlists for this game was that they include a % counter. Why Nintendo, why
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, just finished testing. That message only comes up *after* you open all the chests as well.
I'm convinced that We should grab all the chests too. The one thing I did notice though is they never put a rupee chest 'by itself' meaning that with islands that only have 1 chest, it's usually a medal or a heart piece. The ones with multiple will have a medal/hp with like, a rupee chest or one that has a satchel/quiver/bomb bag, so it's not like it would add on that much time if we do. That's another thing too, since you grab those items from the chests, wemightaswellupgradethemtoosincetheycorrespondwithb-buttons hehe
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:32:04 AM by AniMeowzerz »

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
You don't level all 150 pokemon to 100 in a 100%, so I say either get 8 fully upgraded version of each Arrow/Bomb/Seed bag, or don't require upgrading them at all.
Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.

Offline AniMeowzerz

• Special Guay
  • Meow, and... stuff.
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »
You don't level all 150 pokemon to 100 in a 100%, so I say either get 8 fully upgraded version of each Arrow/Bomb/Seed bag, or don't require upgrading them at all.
QFT

Offline brynnagiadrosich

• Regular Guay
  • This is my own personal text. You cannot have it.
    • Youtube Let's Plays
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2011, 11:17:42 AM »
*throws in cents*

Okay, I knew when I was playing this game that 100% was gonna be hard to define. I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I think I have a semi-decent idea.

With hero mode, you're gonna have the bug/treasure counts already, so I think those should not be required, unless you set an arbitrary number to collect anyway.

All B items should be required, but I think the upgrades should come down to whether or not it's gonna be beneficial to the run. Upgrading the bug minion makes sense speedrun-wise, but it doesn't make much sense to upgrade the bug net, especially if bugs aren't required. But in the same sense, one could argue that if you upgrade one, you must upgrade the others.

I think that the goddess chests that aren't rupees should be required, if they are required at all. The rupee chests seem really dumb to require, especially if it happens that you don't have room in your wallet when it comes time to collect it, because then Fi's gonna be all "yo, you can't collect this, you're wallet is full". Bottles and medals and stuff like that in the chests seem more likely to be required. So unless you can account for wallet fullness, which would be really hard, then I say just go for the important stuff. Pouch items are somewhat hard to define, as you can't carry absolutely everything with you, though. But if medals are required, just go for the medal chests.

I think Hylian shield should be required, but no other shield. My reasoning for that is because it's the best shield, and it requires no upgrades (from what I remember). Plus, you'll be there anyway for that stupid heart piece.

I don't think you should upgrade the arrow/seed/bomb at all. They take up space in your pouch, and aren't permanently attached to that item, like in OOT where they were. If it's not a permanent upgrade, then it shouldn't be required. I never needed them in my game, and the bomb system is incredibly broken and awesome in this game, so I don't see having the upgrades with us all that important. This also brings up the point about the heart medals--it's not permanent, so why require it? I don't see any point in the pouch items really.

Also an interesting point is about that bug sidequest with beedle. You get that half-price coupon from him. Should that be required?
"To know what is right and choose to ignore it is the act of a coward."

Goal: To speed run Twilight Princess 100%
http://www.youtube.com/user/brynnagiadrosich

Offline CloudMax

• Site Editor
  • Mega Guay
    • CloudModding
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2011, 11:38:55 AM »
Also an interesting point is about that bug sidequest with beedle. You get that half-price coupon from him. Should that be required?

Ehh, we'll have to do all side-quests to get the 9000 rupee wallet / all gratitude crystals, so ofc we'll have to get the coupon.

Offline Tamis

• Regular Guay
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2011, 01:17:56 PM »
Dowsing slots full

Not sure you get the heart dowsing on hero mode (cause there's no hearts), even with the two heart medals fi doesn't activate it...

Another thing too, I think the hero mode used for a 100% should be clean, i.e. no bugs and no "treasures" from a previous save.. That would be a bit lame else, just selling few treasures to get max rupees and spend 10 minutes at workshop to just upgrade all items and that's it..
But well, this means you'll get the treasure get cutscene at every segment (derp this is a lizard tail it's a tail from a lizard and it's spiky houuu)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:19:31 PM by Tamis »

Offline TheOthin

• Regular Guay
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2011, 02:43:12 PM »
Any carry-overs like that seem like they would be classified as New Game+ according to SDA's standards, which sounds fine: defining a separate category if anyone cares, but allowing it to be kept out of other runs.

Offline Narcissa Wright

• Admin
  • Mega Guay
    • ZSR
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2011, 03:46:30 PM »
You can get heart dowsing on hero mode.

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2011, 04:44:16 PM »
I say that since the time saved between NG+ over Normal is so minimal when considering that this will probably end up being a 5-7 hour run, we should just not have normal and NG+ categories, similar to how no one gives a damn about MQ any%

So, this is about where I think things should be at...
  • Timing starts as soon as you gain control of Link, to accommodate the possibility that Normal somehow ends up being the faster game.
  • Hero Mode starts off with 0 bugs / treasures (easy to set up)
  • All dowsing targets must be enabled
  • At least one of each bug/treasure must be obtained
  • All Goddess Chests must be opened
  • All items that can't be sold at the item check (not counting potions) must be obtained
  • Every item that must be obtained is upgraded to their maximum power
  • Must finish the game with 20 Heart containers?
  • The largest wallet (9900 rupees) must be obtained
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.

Offline Tamis

• Regular Guay
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2011, 05:03:23 PM »
Why finish the game with 20 hearts ? I guess it's for aesthetic but carrying 2 life medals is just a pain in the ass :< Better have 18 without medals and carry useful stuff.

Well now as I think of it, if you're talking about a segmented run (I hardly imagine someone doing a single segment 100% run, this ain't super mario 64 :D ), there's not really any item useful cause medals are just bonuses that slightly help, so why not finish with 20 hearts.

Agreed on the rest too.

Offline Paraxade

• Special Guay
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2011, 05:04:02 PM »
I completely disagree with not allowing Hero Mode to start with bugs and treasure. It's built into the game and there's no reason to disallow taking advantage of it. Let's ban using skyward strikes too since that carries over into hero mode. In terms of the "this just means you'll sell treasure/bugs over and over for rupees" - that seems like a big waste of time to me, considering you'd have to go out of your way for it and we're going to be picking up plenty of rupees with goddess chests if those are going to be part of the definition, plus probably a ton of other things from sidequests and other stuff (like the 20 rupees you get for cleaning Pipit's house and the 600 rupees you get from Batreaux, off the top of my head).

mzx's list is missing the Hylian Shield (unless that's covered under "all items that can't be sold at the item check"? i don't remember if you can sell it) and the extra pouch spaces - are we agreed on getting all four extra spaces?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:06:42 PM by Paraxade »

Offline Matt23488

• Regular Guay
  • Meh
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2011, 05:55:16 PM »
Wow big thread.

I agree with Paraxade, we should take advantage of being allowed treasure and bugs when the game starts. But perhaps we can throw a limit on it and say we can only start with the treasures (and bugs?) that are used to upgrade items required for 100% completion. But it doesn't matter, because like he said, you get so many rupees from the requirements we've established so far. Btw you get 900 total from Batreaux, once he gives you a gold rupee, then later he gives you twice at once.

Offline Paraxade

• Special Guay
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2011, 06:52:25 PM »
That'd be arbitrary. We should be able to start with as much treasure and bugs as we want.

Offline brynnagiadrosich

• Regular Guay
  • This is my own personal text. You cannot have it.
    • Youtube Let's Plays
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2011, 07:39:25 PM »
I say that since the time saved between NG+ over Normal is so minimal when considering that this will probably end up being a 5-7 hour run, we should just not have normal and NG+ categories, similar to how no one gives a damn about MQ any%

I'd say skipping cutscenes are pretty awesome.
"To know what is right and choose to ignore it is the act of a coward."

Goal: To speed run Twilight Princess 100%
http://www.youtube.com/user/brynnagiadrosich

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2011, 08:53:36 PM »
I completely disagree with not allowing Hero Mode to start with bugs and treasure. It's built into the game and there's no reason to disallow taking advantage of it. Let's ban using skyward strikes too since that carries over into hero mode. In terms of the "this just means you'll sell treasure/bugs over and over for rupees" - that seems like a big waste of time to me, considering you'd have to go out of your way for it and we're going to be picking up plenty of rupees with goddess chests if those are going to be part of the definition, plus probably a ton of other things from sidequests and other stuff (like the 20 rupees you get for cleaning Pipit's house and the 600 rupees you get from Batreaux, off the top of my head).

I actually didn't consider selling treasures, I was thinking more in terms of creating the 100% category in a way that would make NG+ close enough to a normal game so that they wouldn't be separate categories. That, and I think Chrono Trigger's NG+ category is dumb as shit.

mzx's list is missing the Hylian Shield (unless that's covered under "all items that can't be sold at the item check"? i don't remember if you can sell it) and the extra pouch spaces - are we agreed on getting all four extra spaces?

I just guessed that the Hylian Shield can't be sold. If it is, I think it still deserves to be obtained. Extra pouches kind of falls under "all items that can't be sold at the item check", and most are obtained through goddess chests anyhow.

What does everyone else feel about ending with 20 hearts?
Braid

Offline EverAlert

• Regular Guay
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2011, 11:35:26 PM »
IMO either way is fine as long as you get the medals, leave it up to personal preference. That said it would be easier to verify if 20 hearts are on show.

Also agreeing with Parax here, we should just be able to start with however many bugs/treasures we want in NG+. No matter how many arbitrary modifications you make to NG+ they are still just that, arbitrary. Also I don't know how I feel about them being a part of the 100% definition, the main/only justification for that is they have icons on the pause menu correct?

Offline AniMeowzerz

• Special Guay
  • Meow, and... stuff.
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2011, 06:33:46 AM »
Extra pouches kind of falls under "all items that can't be sold at the item check", and most are obtained through goddess chests anyhow.
Actually you only get 1 adventure pouch from goddess cubes (your very first goddess cube)

you buy the other 3 from beedle

Offline Tamis

• Regular Guay
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2011, 09:57:45 AM »
I was thinking about how hylian shield is gonna be a bitch to get.
You need to beat 9 bosses to get it (or 10 ? Can't remember), but these bosses are random, so for the best time you'd need to avoid the 2 (3 ?) slowest bosses in the boss rush, that's a lot of retries ;o

I think the slowest are horde, imprisoned 2 and.. imprisoned 3.

Good luck on that segment for anybody planning to 100% SS :p

Offline CloudMax

• Site Editor
  • Mega Guay
    • CloudModding
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2011, 10:27:27 AM »
I was thinking about how hylian shield is gonna be a bitch to get.
You need to beat 9 bosses to get it (or 10 ? Can't remember), but these bosses are random, so for the best time you'd need to avoid the 2 (3 ?) slowest bosses in the boss rush, that's a lot of retries ;o

I think the slowest are horde, imprisoned 2 and.. imprisoned 3.

Good luck on that segment for anybody planning to 100% SS :p

The imprisoned are very fast compared to some bosses like tentalus which takes a long time no matter what.
all imprisoned can be done in about 1 minute.

I've never done horde battle in time trial so I have no idea about that one though.

And you have to defeat 8 bosses in a row.

Offline Tamis

• Regular Guay
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2011, 10:56:19 AM »
Well I just looked the boss battles time trials threads to determine which were longer. Still I think the imprisoned are kinda long, at least 2 and 3 cause you have to be very safe to hit his feet (if you try landing on its head he will make you fall.. I guess ? I tried many times and I always falled.), while other boss battles with good strats can be done really quick (see time trials thread).

Still with 8/12 battles, the odds are against you if you want to make a really good time on that, and segmented is supposed to be optimal/near perfect.. :/

EDIT : my bad, didn't read well the times, so yeah ~2 mn for tentalus and koloktos, and that's ingame timer (which doesn't count jumping into water to make boss get out of water faster for example), so yeah you'd want to avoid these two, and horde, and I think imprisoned 2 which is the longest of the three.
I think the chances are 1 in 495 to avoid these 4 battles.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 11:00:56 AM by Tamis »

Offline Paraxade

• Special Guay
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2011, 02:01:35 PM »
Demise is always last so you aren't going to fight him either way. That means there's only three fights you would need to avoid, and I think Horde has a relatively small chance of coming up early anyway (I never had it come up when I was trying to get the hylian shield on my Hero playthrough).

Offline Tamis

• Regular Guay
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »
I didn't know for demise, that's 8 fights out of 11, that's 1 in 165, but I guess it can never be perfect so the runner would seek optimum time over optimum runs, looking for the perfect bosses (ie avoiding the three slowest) sounds suicidal, and then you need a goddamn good time, so anyways let's forget about that matter it's rather pointless :p

I had horde rather early though, I think 6th fight, I even died on it (horde with one heart ? Challenge accepted... reach third barrier, oh shit a bomb blew up your face) :p I think the random in it is fine, you have the same chances of getting any boss. Good luck for a 100% runner, boss rush in hero mode is hard as shit (well to me.. due to lame controls, link swinging sword when you want to shield bash, and whatnot :/ )

edit : actually you can get demise first, if you're pro at it you can get a pretty decent time (someone got a 30s strat on the time trial thread), it would be good to start with too :p
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 02:18:12 PM by Tamis »

Offline EverAlert

• Regular Guay
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2011, 04:20:38 PM »
How sure are we that the boss battles are actually fully randomised? Aside from some ghirahim/imprisoned oddities I've never had boss battles go out of order in boss rush. For me the repeat bosses always appear in the same spots relative to other bosses but sometimes it'll for example give me the last ghirahim first, or all 3 imprisoneds in a row, or something like that. But I will always get a ghirahim first, then scaldera, etc, and always in the right spots assuming they didn't clump. Derp post above proves they are randomised. But I'm assuming the randomiser at least heavily favours the natural order.

I dunno I probably haven't played as many full rushes as you guys but it didn't look all that random in my experience.

Anyway it's kinda dumb that we'd have to fight all the bosses again for Hylian Shield, I'm gonna actually check to make sure it's not sellable. (Edit: It's not.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 04:34:28 PM by EA »

Offline Matt23488

• Regular Guay
  • Meh
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2011, 07:34:05 AM »
Hmm, I usually get one of the Ghirahim's first as well. I've done boss rush quite a bit on a non-hero mode file, and it seems more pseudo-randomized like EA said before he edited his post. Generally Koloktos or Tentalus are the last boss for me, and it seemed to go in an order related to difficulty. But every now and again it will be seemingly completely random. Perhaps some research should be done on this.

Offline Tamis

• Regular Guay
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2011, 07:41:17 AM »
Well someone should try starting (on a hero mode) with boss X and see what bosses are after it, then repeat and see if it's pseudo random.

I often had tentalus in my first bosses (and I always start with ghirahim 1), also imprisoned 3. Never had koloktos though.. So yeah, it must be pseudo random...