ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 11:05:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Full game RTA records/discussion  (Read 43346 times)
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 09:18:16 AM »

I really think I'm insane for doing this and probably am never gonna wanna touch this game again when I'm done.

Ohh god no. If you stop running this game, it'll be close to dead. You're the only one who is actively running the game (and also contribute to finding glitches) from what I know.
But I get what you mean. I do not speedrun the game for 1 reason, and that is because of the length of the game (well, actually it is the hero song quest, but that is what makes the game long, so w/e). If we find a legit sky keep early and light column early I might even consider running the game myself (I'd have to get a legit japanese disc though, but that shouldn't be a problem since I collect zelda games anyway... And I happen to like skyward sword.).

Also, if someone were to run using a usb loader, could we still submit it to the ZSR leaderboards, but instead choose "USB Loader"/"Emulator" for version? Like, it obviously wouldn't count as a WR, but at least we would be able to submit our times, just like people can with OoT.
I will most likely not run the game for now, but it'd be good to know if this will be allowed or not.

Paraxade
Special Guay

paraxade@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 11:38:34 PM »

You try doing an entire 6-hour playthrough in one sitting every couple days and not feel sick of the game in a month or two.
TheOthin
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 11:45:03 PM »

Maybe slow down a bit in how often you do those runs? For the sake of Skyward Sword's future as a speedrun game?
Abahbob
Site Editor
Special Guay

I make videos of games that are done very fast.

Email
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 12:30:54 AM »

Gratz on sub 6:00. I assume it was using the new light tower early skip. Also, keep running often. I slowed down and took a break and now I really can't stand running it. Keep up the good work, and remember that there are people supporting you.
Paraxade
Special Guay

paraxade@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 01:38:15 AM »

Yeah, I'm not doing one today because I felt kinda burned out after my run yesterday, but I'll still run it often. I'm hoping I don't have to spend more than a month or so doing attempts.
UchihaSasuke
Special Guay

move over Chidori, time to spam infinite Susano'o

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 05:17:30 PM »

congrats on the sub 6 hour run. now TWW is back at being the longest game in the series.

"Patience is useful in any moment"

Youtube Account 1
Youtube Account 2
Swiffy
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 07:53:39 PM »

I have a few questions route-wise.

First, how does the beginning work using BiT exactly? I'm thinking it would be something like,

Start hero file
Save at upper academy statue (not certain if this is necessary or not)
Activate BiT
Create a corrupt file and BiTsave the other and start
Grab the guardian sword
Zelda cutscene
Groose cutscene
Save Loftwing
Wing Ceremony
Sailcloth ritual
Save/quit
Start corrupt file and activate BiT
BiTsave and start
Go place the first tablet
Get the adventure pouch
Get the shield
Leave for Faron Woods

All the harp run videos have disappeared off of twitch.tv, so I really have nothing to go by now. I just remember it seeming a little simpler than that (although they did skip the sailcloth entirely).

Also, the new light tower skip raises the question of when exactly we need to visit Skyloft to upgrade the Beetle and get the bottle. To me, it wouldn't seem to save as much time now, if any. And then there's the question of when we need to visit the thunderhead. I'm thinking before we go to Lanayru the first time. We can go get the song, save/quit, load the corrupt file, BiTsave at the upper academy statue, and run and place the third tablet. Unless, of course, you guys think flying would be quicker. Has any of this stuff been tested and timed yet?

And have you started using all the BiT warps in your runs Parax, or just the Light tower skip? It seems to me you'd save a lot more than just 17 minutes off of your test run if you did.
TriforceBrawl3250
Deku Scrub

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 08:01:52 PM »

That route sounds right for Any%, but you skip the sailcloth part in Harp

BiTSaves like that have been optimized, the thunderhead takes very long to fly through.

you cannot compare his Any% Test Run and his RTA because the timing is completely different.

Also Parax isn't the only one actively running the game.  There are several running harp, and a few doing Any%.

EDIT: On a side note I'd also like to note that a legitimate 100% RTA has been done (routed very well) by Indykenobi in 10:29:42

http://www.twitch.tv/indykenobi/b/314970794
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:05:53 PM by TriforceBrawl3250 » Logged

You can't spell devotion without OoT.
Paraxade
Special Guay

paraxade@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 09:19:08 PM »

You can compare the test run with RTA just fine. I timed my test run by starting timing on the first visible frame and ending timing on the last frame before selecting "Save".

Anyway, that route seems almost fine, but the second BiT is misplaced. You want to BiT after saving your loftwing so you can skip the Wing Ceremony cutscene. After that BiTing the Fi sequence is actually slower.

The Tower of Light skip saves 15-20 minutes, you can see from my test run how long it takes. I've been using BiT ever since I started, the only new thing I added to my last attempt is the Tower of Light skip. Also, my time is 5:56, not 6:06 <_< So that's 27 minutes. So far.

Also as for the Skyloft stuff. The only reason I ever bothered getting the beetle upgrade or the second bottle was because you were right there in the Bazaar so they were right in the way. Now they're a major detour and are skipped.

In my 5:56 run I visited the thunderhead on the way to Lanayru after placing the tablet. I haven't timed whether it's faster to BiT back to Skyloft instead of flying back through, I just flew through it.
Starian
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 11:44:10 PM »

congrats on the sub 6 hour run. now TWW is back at being the longest game in the series.

Aha, TWW will be sub 6 hours soon as well, with the Japanese version. Though, from the looks of it, SS will most likely continue to decrease in time.
Swiffy
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 11:53:51 PM »

Thanks for the information guys! And sorry about the mistakes. I typed that up kind of fast (I'm still wondering where I got guardian sword from >_>).
Abahbob
Site Editor
Special Guay

I make videos of games that are done very fast.

Email
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 01:21:35 AM »

Aha, TWW will be sub 6 hours soon as well, with the Japanese version. Though, from the looks of it, SS will most likely continue to decrease in time.

I wouldn't count on it being sub 6 soon. I'm not sure how dedicatedly it is being run, and staying strong for 6 hours of sailing is tough.
Starian
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 02:32:03 AM »

I wouldn't count on it being sub 6 soon. I'm not sure how dedicatedly it is being run, and staying strong for 6 hours of sailing is tough.

Well, couple days ago Cafde got 6:20:53 Single Segmented TWW run on the Japanese version without using Zombie Hovering. I don't remember how much time Zombie Hovering saves overall, but that time is very close to Jiano's 6:16:xx time on English version with Zombie Hovering. Provided that the Japanese text is a lotttt faster, I think sub 6 is possible. Could be wrong though ;P. Anyways, I guess this isn't the right topic to be discussing this, sorry ><!
Paraxade
Special Guay

paraxade@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 03:28:26 AM »

TWW is gonna be wayyyy under 6 hours by the time the TAS is done. I'm sure the console record would be far lower too if more people were putting effort into it. (from what I heard, Jiano barely practiced and did his run in two attempts.)
Paraxade
Special Guay

paraxade@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2012, 01:46:57 PM »

new best: 5:45
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: