ZSR Forums
April 19, 2024, 10:11:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Casual SS with soft resets route help  (Read 7962 times)
Lexkeeta
Special Guay

Email
« on: October 08, 2009, 08:09:34 PM »

I've done pretty crappy SSs of this game in the past and I would like to master an easy, yet fast route. Then I can gradually get better and eventually get past said crappy SSs.

This probably won't be recorded because... there's no point in it. I definately want sub 2 hours. If I do record it, it will be uploaded in parts in low quality and have retarded commentary.

I'm using the GC version, so when I reset (X+B+Start), I have to choose OoT and wait for it to read the disc. And it counts during my final time.

I've made a route, and I have questions afterwards, so all help is appreciated. In a nutshell, I want an optimal easy and fast route.

Route:
-get 2r from grass, 6r from fence, crawl in hole, get 2r from grass, 5r from bush (15r)
-get sword, equip
-ge 5r in aclove, crawl out hole, cut sign for 5r, open chests for 10r, hop across platforms for 5, get 5r in shop (45r)
-buy shield, equip (5r)
-hop across platforms for 5r, easy forest escape, get fairy ocarina (10r)
-go to Kakariko before night, collect cuccos and get bottle
-equip ocarina on left, bottle on right
-backwalk to lake hylia, catch bugs and learn scarecrow's song
-take owl to castle, get 40r from chains (50r)
-go to temple of time and skip door of time
-save and reset
------------------
-go to Kakariko, get pocket egg
-go to graveyard, get shield
-pause/unpause
-race dampe and get hookshot
-equip hookshot on left, equip shield
-backwalk to lake hylia, confirm scarecrow song
-go to fishing pond, steal the rod (30r)
-climb ladder in hyrule field
-equip egg on left, bugs on right then down
-easy bottle on B, recatch bugs
-backwalk to Kakariko
-equip hookshot on down, cucco on right, RBA so you can use more than one light arrow later (lol)
-wake talon
-get cojiro, RBA for quiver and bomb bag
-get 10 bombs from grave
-backwalk to Kokiri forest, buy arrows, then deku stick (0r)
-hookshot to lost woods and get mushroom
-goron city warp to Kakariko (9B)
-hookshot up roof and get potion
-go to lost woods and get saw, RBA for songs
-goron city warp to death mountain, scale it and go to fairy fountain (7B)
-equip ocarina on down and get magic
-save and reset
------------------
-backwalk to ranch
-get isg on bomb (6B)
-hover over fence to steal epona (1-4B)
-skip gerudo bridge
-get broken sword
-break deku stick
-equip bugs, get bottle on b and RBA for medallions
-save and reset
------------------
-go to Ganon's castle
-if under 4 bombs, bomb beamos for bomb pickup (4-7B)
-skip trials
-equip light arrows to down
-beat ganondorf single cycle with mashed crouch stabs
-superslide into ganon cutscene
-win

Comments:
-if there's a good place to add a bomb, limit them. If I mess up the SS to ganon, I'm doomed. And I'm not too good at adult superslides.
-yesterday I rba'd cojiro and for some reason wouldn't get bomb pick-ups, no matter how much I tried. Why? Is it because I didn't pause/unpause after getting shield? Because I equipped something in the pause for deku stick? Because I'm extremely unlucky?
-DoT skip is hard. Do I have to clip at a certain angle for the jumpslash to work? I don't know where to line it up on GC version.

All help is welcome.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 02:27:16 AM by Lexkeeta » Logged

Runnerguy2489
Special Guay

I'm not your buddy, guay!

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 08:48:18 PM »

-pause/unpause (read this somewhere... what's the point, though?)
It's to avoid this shit from happening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0HssXDJsBE

But I can't remember if that was N64 only or not...it seemed like Kazooie was able to avoid that pause in his old segment 5.

-go to fishing pond, steal the rod (30r)
-jump in/out of water
-pause and unpause
-pause and replace ocarina with egg, replace hookshot with bugs, swap with bombs (am I allowed to combine it with the previous pause?)
-backwalk to Kakariko
Do this instead:
-Steal rod
-Exit Hylia
-Right after climbing that first ladder outside Hylia pause, equip the stuff you need, then unpause.

-buy arrows, get potion (0r)
-go to lost woods (through warp or normal?) and get saw
Groobo went through Hyrule field...not sure which is faster since it's been so long since I tested that.

-yesterday I rba'd cojiro and for some reason wouldn't get bomb pick-ups, no matter how much I tried. Why? Is it because I didn't pause/unpause after getting shield? Because I equipped something in the pause for deku stick? Because I'm extremely unlucky?
You have to RBA the bomb slot too. At some point after getting bottle on B, put the bombs on C-right and then just drop bugs and pick them back up in your B bottle. That allows the bomb drops.

You also are collecting 10 bombs from the bushes; might want to consider just going to Dampe's grave twice and getting them there, since that's guaranteed and the bomb drops are so rare.

runnerguy your such a mother fucker. whats with all this bombchu shit? all everyone who likes this shit is stupid. ur a fucking cheater. u did that the wrong way, thats not how to get past the king zora u cheater. u suck and i wont continue watching all ur shit! videos.
Jiano
Special Guay

Sun+Jiano
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:02:35 PM »

I get the Ruto Bottle because collecting cuccos is annoying as shit. I always buy a Deku Stick when I buy arrows. Also make sure you're holding left when you DoT skip, the jumpslash is only 1 frame though so I always pause buffer it.

Oh and I also just steal epona instead of bridge skip because I hate falling into the damn river. Yeah I use the super lazy easy route.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 09:05:34 PM by Jiano » Logged
Unreal
Regular Guay

unreal704
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:30:47 PM »

-DoT skip is hard. Do I have to clip at a certain angle for the jumpslash to work? I don't know where to line it up on GC version.

The angle is pretty simple to line up. Check out the Dot skip page for more help on it. Like Jiano said pause buffering the dot skip is pretty easy. What I do is mash b on the second frame link is off the screen when I first hear part of his "fall scream". Works everytime. Also when you jumpslash hold up left so you will run behind the DoT. <_<
Lexkeeta
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:35:47 PM »

wow, thanks runnerguy.

I guess I accidently RBA'd the bomb slot all the other times lol

I'm getting better at dot skip. But it when jumpslash the first frame lin disappears, I get spat back in, but on the second, I make it. Does the angle you clip matter, though? I find it easier to clip angled more right than recommended.

That arrow thing was obvious, I feel stupid.

bridge skip with isg is easy. Make sure you don't have the hookshot out, and you pull it when you're being pushed forward while holding forward. Don't shoot if you don't get the dot by a grabbable spot.

Everything else is good? I thought my pause strats and rupee route would have flaws...

Oh, and for a practice run, how much time do I subtract from my total if I start at "OK" on select screen? (Doesn't time usually start once you gain movement? I only have a simple clock so I can't start time perfectly at that point)

edit: instead of resetting after medallions, would it be faster to equip ocarina and play prelude?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 09:48:07 PM by Lexkeeta » Logged

Lexkeeta
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 01:09:11 AM »

I didn't know, but if you get on the bridge the wrong way with isg, hookshot won't work and you can't move unless you jump (in my case into the ocean). Lame

oh and after getting hookshot, how can you guarentee the door to send you back to the beginning?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:11:47 AM by Lexkeeta » Logged

Runnerguy2489
Special Guay

I'm not your buddy, guay!

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 11:36:32 AM »

Before I had recording equipment, I always started my timer when Link started moving or just a second beforehand. Since it wasn't official I didn't mind being +/- one second or so.

I'd play prelude if you can equip the ocarina there or do IO...it's probably about the same if the timer keeps running but then you only have one soft reset and that's for adult DoT savewarp.

People have different strategies for that door behind Dampe. You can creep up slowly and just let it fall on you I think. You can turn perpendicular to it and sidehop once through and quickly back. You can push forward to run through and then quickly backflip or run back. I'd experiment and do whatever is comfortable for you.

runnerguy your such a mother fucker. whats with all this bombchu shit? all everyone who likes this shit is stupid. ur a fucking cheater. u did that the wrong way, thats not how to get past the king zora u cheater. u suck and i wont continue watching all ur shit! videos.
Lexkeeta
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 03:46:13 PM »

I've decided to only get 5 bombs, because I can use one on the beamos in ganon's tower and have 6 bombs to get the SS.

And if I get the bomb drops from dampes grave, do I still need to RBA pocket cucco? I ask because I'm not sure if trials skip requires extra strength.

Also I just saw the easy steal epona glitch. If I didn't cut my bombs down to 5, I'd use it. But I can guarentee isg bridge skip anyway, it's just a pain to set up.

Erodyne
Deku Scrub

strat1794 strat1794
Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 04:26:06 AM »

If you're not already, use a Wii if available, the disc reading times are noticeably faster.

Maybe that helps.
Lexkeeta
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 05:43:36 PM »

lol I am.

and I changed the route slightly. I'm not getting black gauntlets.

I'm hopefully going to record tomorrow and upload a 10 min part a day.

Blizzerk
Special Guay

What is this I don't even-

Blizzerk@live.com
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »

2 years ago I did an unrecorded of MST OoT (because I was too stupid to do the cucco jump) and got a time of like 4 hours

i did an RBA run (minus the DoT skip) and got 2:17 (i know, it was horrible, 1:45 was the child alone and got epona's song  Lips sealed)

Anyways I may attempt a run like you are, i can do the DoT skip now...

Despite everyone trying to help me, I found my own way to go out of bounds.

I go up to the left side of the DoT and align myself to it. then turn around. i backflip so i am 100% against the wall, facing the right side. then I align myself as anyone would.

that's my setup. the roll is a little hard to explain, but once i understood the DoT skip i could do it.

try this: Backflip, then don't move. still holding Z, press A. you roll sideways, no? that is what you want to do at the DoT, but reversed.

Now try this: Backflip, roll sideways like before, hold the joystick all the way right and mash A. you could also try holding Down. see how you don't do a normal sidehop? you go back aswell. that is the essence of the DoT skip, only reversed. now jsut master the roll and the sidehop properly (the other way, with your new understanding) and you should be fine...

best of luck, I may try this myself Smiley

[21:02:55] <Blizz> Uhh...
[21:02:59] <Blizz> RingRush..
[21:03:06] <Blizz> I was meaning to ask you something
[21:03:13] <RingRush> no I will not go to prom with you
[21:03:16] <Blizz> :<
------------------
<@jiano> get off my lawn you damn kids
Lexkeeta
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 02:11:36 AM »

umm, i got dot skip now, but thanks.

oh and I'm gonna edit post one with my updated route now.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: