ZSR Forums
March 29, 2024, 11:00:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Islamic chant  (Read 11799 times)
TimpZ
Regular Guay

Email
« on: May 31, 2012, 05:36:42 AM »

Apparently Gametrailers made an episode about this and they even mentioned ZSR in it.

Turns out they changed the islamic chant before the game was even released anywhere and that the chant itself from a sound library, even used in other games. When asked, nintendo states that they changed it due to their policy of not having any IRL-religion references. It's still odd for me though as they released all versions eventually but maybe there's someone that could shed some light on that here.

Maybe this is common knowledge, idk, but I found it a bit interesting.

Link:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-9-fire-temple-chants/710816
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:38:36 AM by TimpZ » Logged

Why does adult Link have an earring?
Quote from: CinnabonChan
Because Rauru's a pervert. Leave a priest alone with a young boy in a seven year coma, who gradually grows into a handsome young man?

Yeah, that will end well. I'm pretty sure Rauru has a stack of kinky outfits he dressed Link in
Pedalpowertoast
Site Editor
Mega Guay

I'm an artist :O

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:20:58 AM »

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-9-pop-fiction/710815?type=flv

This Pop-Fiction talks about the Fire Temple Chant "myth" and shows footage straight from our(outdated) version page.

Pretty cool

This also makes me angry taht we havn't updated the version page yet... I sent Cosmo a huuuuuge PM a while back with lots of version page fixes/additions that need to be made, I definitely think we should apply them. One of the worst issues on that page is that there's a picture of a NFR Grey OoT in the place of the standard grey OoT cart lol.

Check the second page of general zelda chat Smiley Also the New myth about getting swordless they didnt credit aleckermit for the use restricted items glitch. Should he be angry?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:34:33 AM by Pedalpowertoast » Logged

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pedalpowerluigi

Using a slow version on purpose is your choice, but you will get no sympathy or agreement from me.
Lol
Norkix
Special Guay

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »

I got 1.1 OoT a couple months back, and I tried to match the phrases in the original thread to the chants in the game. I can't seem to do it.

Also, it's interesting that they took the chant out but left the star and moon in...

11:17 <Cosmo>: It's hard to tell what ASAP means with todays sequence breaks
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:14:40 PM »

The page in the gametrailers video is so terrible that you can see some pretty nasty spelling mistakes.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Pheenoh
Site Editor
Special Guay

Locked in cafde's basement

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 08:38:44 PM »

"These dedicated players"

Mostly aleckermit.

<yashichidsf> tompa should default be a mod on everything related to srl
<yashichidsf> while i'm not a big fan of modding bots, i think tompa is really well programmed
ZeldaFan
Regular Guay

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 01:52:12 AM »

Turns out they changed the islamic chant before the game was even released anywhere
But that's wrong.

The Islamic chanting version of the Fire Temple was present in OoT v1.0; (golden Collector's Edition cartridge). And the Zelda franchise is filled with tons of religious references. The shields in Zelda 1 had Christian crosses, polytheism is a huge part of the series, the Gerudo's crescent star symbol is literally the Islamic symbol. The Temple of Time is a church, and temples by definition are places used to worship or observe religion. Christianity conflicts with Islam just like how Hylians, Zoras, Gorons, Kokiri, etc. conflict with the Gerudo.
Pheenoh
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 01:57:42 AM »

But that's wrong.

The Islamic chanting version of the Fire Temple was present in OoT v1.0; (golden Collector's Edition cartridge). And the Zelda franchise is filled with tons of religious references. The shields in Zelda 1 had Christian crosses, polytheism is a huge part of the series, the Gerudo's crescent star symbol is literally the Islamic symbol. The Temple of Time is a church, and temples by definition are places used to worship or observe religion. Christianity conflicts with Islam just like how Hylians, Zoras, Gorons, Kokiri, etc. conflict with the Gerudo.
While the zelda series does have many religious refrences, what you quoted is 100% correct. The three revisions of the original N64 cart were all made before it was ever released.

<yashichidsf> while i'm not a big fan of modding bots, i think tompa is really well programmed
ZeldaFan
Regular Guay

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 04:23:26 AM »

While the zelda series does have many religious refrences, what you quoted is 100% correct. The three revisions of the original N64 cart were all made before it was ever released.

• Fire Temple music wasn't changed until v1.2
  • Blood was changed from red to green in v1.2
  • All North American and Japanese N64 cartridges have the original crescent star symbol. It wasn't changed until the GCN.
  • PAL versions of Ocarina of Time are v1.2.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:24:57 AM by GeneraLight » Logged
Mike
Regular Guay

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 07:51:06 AM »

• All North American and Japanese N64 cartridges have the original crescent star symbol. It wasn't changed until the GCN.

All true, but what was being said in the episode is that the coding for all the game's versions was done prior to the game's actually being released. The process of getting a game from code to retail takes time, nowadays the process is roughly a month from a game going gold to being ready to ship to retailers. The only thing not known is the specifics regarding the production process for Ocarina of Time - when were Versions 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 sent into production and when did they first hit retail shelves. If Version 1.0 was done on October 21st, then it hit store shelves roughly a month later in Japan and North America. Version 1.1 must have been sent into production a week later.

On ZSR itself, it says that some gold carts were version 1.1 - the limited pre-order ones - meaning Nintendo had to have gotten 1.1 into production ASAP. It also says a good amount of standard grey carts (non-Player's Choice) were version 1.2, meaning it's possible 1.2 copies were in circulation very early, too (end of November 1998-December 1998). Due to the anticipation of Ocarina of Time, I can only imagine the early shipments with version 1.0 and 1.1 were pretty big, so that's why there are so many of those, and why it might seem like it took a long time for version 1.2 to be seen in the wild.

The whole thing about the Gerudo "crescent star" symbol, you do realize that is not inherently a Muslim/Islamic symbol, right? It dates back well before Islam even existed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescent_and_star

You know when Version 1.2 GCN/VC first came out, right? Post 9/11. Nintendo was just being super careful about not offending anyone, and while the symbols really aren't derived from Islam, Nintendo probably didn't want to risk starting a controversy in a time where the slightest hint of such a thing could spark a huge issue. Kakuto Chojin proved just how sensitive companies became at that time -- Microsoft recalled the game immediately and it was never official re-released. Original launch - November 2001 - two months after 9/11.

As for not crediting aleckermit in the Swordless Link episode, my bad. I will make sure he gets the credit for discovering Restricted Items in OoT 3D.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:00:08 AM by TSA » Logged
Pheenoh
Site Editor
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 08:14:14 AM »

I'd prove how ignorant this and your previous statement was (because you clearly didn't even bother to watch the video), but TSA pretty much already covered that.

Enterim
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »

There also are a couple 1.0 grey carts going around. I only have one OoT cart and mine happens to be so.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: