ZSR Forums
April 20, 2024, 08:15:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Grezzo Intentionally Left Bugs in To Preserve Feeling of Original  (Read 11968 times)
zeldarocks
Deku Scrub

Email
« on: June 26, 2011, 04:59:00 AM »

Grezzo left original bugs in the programming when remaking the game, in preserving the original spirit of Ocarina of Time!!!

---

Moriya:
We sped up revealing it and had Ikuta-san and others try out parts of it. We would ask how it differed from what they had imagined, and then we would fix it. One conflict arose when, as programmers, we wanted to get rid of bugs. But the staff members who had played the old game said the bugs were fun! We were like, "What?!" (laughs)

Iwata:
Yes, that is an area of conflict.

Moriya:
It wouldn't be fun if your friends couldn't say, "Do you know about this?" So we left them in if they didn't cause any trouble and were beneficial.

Iwata:
So you implemented them as you would specs, rather than treating them like bugs. It took some work and you had to go out of your way, but you preserved the spirit of the original.

---

I would like to know you guys' thoughts on this; was he just trying to pass the buck --making excuses for the various bugs and glitches present in the final code? Or was he genuinely attempting to do justice to the original?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:39:02 AM by zeldarocks » Logged
ZFG
Mega Guay

also pheenoh <3

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:48:16 AM »

I don't think by "bugs" he meant speedrunning techniques that we use, or else they probably wouldn't have taken out ISG.  He might have been referring to smaller stuff that's not necessarily speedrun material.  Though maybe I'm wrong and they removed ISG for another reason.

I for one think that there are no glitches in OoT. It's just gameshark codes.

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07:27:45 AM »

I don't think by "bugs" he meant speedrunning techniques that we use, or else they probably wouldn't have taken out ISG.  He might have been referring to smaller stuff that's not necessarily speedrun material.  Though maybe I'm wrong and they removed ISG for another reason.
"So we left them in if they didn't cause any trouble"
ISG caused ALOT of trouble, same with stealing fishing rod, as it messed up your B button.

It actually seems that they infact only removed glitches that actually helped you to skip parts of the game.
Think about it. Ground jump was removed, and it was used to skip parts of DC for example.
Superslide was used to get to shadow early.

However, they did leave ways to perform RBA, but that was probably because they wasnt aware of them.

And clipping into jabujabu is not how the story goes. So they did want to fix that probably.

So yeah, they fixed all the old ways of breaking the games, that they were aware off.

Makes sense.

UchihaSasuke
Special Guay

move over Chidori, time to spam infinite Susano'o

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:33:15 AM »

no dev is going to admit they messed up when trying to fix the bugs.

they either say they left them in on purpose or say they completely missed them.

"Patience is useful in any moment"

Youtube Account 1
Youtube Account 2
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 07:36:42 AM »

no dev is going to admit they messed up when trying to fix the bugs.

they either say they left them in on purpose or say they completely missed them.

Or they could just have not mentioned it at all you know.
They were the ones to bring it up. And it could be to make it clear that they did infact leave some thing in on purpose.
Other stuff may have been by mistake though. such as hookshot clip, triple slash, walking while talking.

They fixed all the old ways of performing sequence breaks, except from waking while talking and megaflip as far as I know.
They may have been unaware of walking while talking, and maybe didnt know about any ways to do breaks with megaflip

thundrio
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 03:52:04 AM »

I'm sorry to seem skeptical on the internet, as most stuff found is inherently true, but I don't seem to see any source for the interview?

[19:30] <13@jiano> i love programmin
[19:30] <13@jiano> if thing == otherthing: do thingything !!!!!!!!
0nyx
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 04:54:27 AM »

Is that enough proof to you ?

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/3/1
thundrio
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »

Sure is! Much thanks!!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

[19:30] <13@jiano> i love programmin
[19:30] <13@jiano> if thing == otherthing: do thingything !!!!!!!!
Kaztalek
Special Guay

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 04:15:20 PM »

it's not a bug, it's a feature

* ZFG sets mode: +b *!*@m2k2-41FE9128.tampfl.fios.verizon.net
* KlydeStorm was kicked by ZFG (I'll destroy you)
Jeville
Special Guay

"special"

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 05:33:16 AM »

That is some fine rock under the well.
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 07:58:07 AM »

That is some fine rock under the well.

Nah. It is ugly. I think they tried to fix sequence breaks (early BotW, early spirit, early shadow, etc), but wanted to keep all other glitches.
They failed.

However, they could just be lying about all this, and actually tried to fix the glitches they knew about.

ComplexRobot
Deku Scrub

A.I. Soul

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »

Well, I'm sure they didn't have a list of glitches from the original game.
They must have only fixed bugs that they found.
They couldn't have found them all.
Not everyone is crazy good like you speed runners at finding bugs!

---
Blazing Factor
Regular Guay

Explosives, a speedrunner's best friend.

Email
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 08:49:08 AM »

What makes me mad at the point that there is no ISG there Angry

Ha! OoT glitches in SSBB still work! Grin
CloudMax
Site Editor
Mega Guay

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 08:58:42 AM »

What makes me mad at the point that there is no ISG there Angry

That is one of the few "serious" glitches that you could do by mistake.
And no, I am not talking about a frame perfect interaction while crouch stabbing.
I am talking about when you stab a jar and then pick up an item for the first time.
It results in you being unable to walk off cliffs and shit.

I can imagine that some normal gamers would get the feeling that this is a bad game if that ever happened.
I mean, if it happened in a game that wasnt zelda people would go all mad about how badly coded the game is. Smiley

Still, I miss ISG Cry

ZeldaFan
Regular Guay

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »

I'm glad they left glitches in the game. Allows for much more replay value and time-reducing strategies.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: