Author Topic: WW Tricks and Glitches Discussion  (Read 1744962 times)

Offline Thiradell

• Deku Scrub
Re: WW Tricks and Glitches Discussion
« Reply #800 on: May 29, 2012, 12:43:39 PM »
Sweet, I think that was the issue. Guess I could try pause-buffering too. Thanks for the help.

Offline Narcissa Wright

• Admin
  • Mega Guay
    • ZSR
« Reply #801 on: May 30, 2012, 05:10:39 AM »
some strange thing. probably unable to replicate this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8sFz-61rb4

Offline Abahbob

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
  • I make videos of games that are done very fast.
« Reply #802 on: May 30, 2012, 06:53:59 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVL6EiXXmc0

Strange effects. ALWAYS sets FF3, Windfall to endless night set-up(bomb shop is open), and Outset has pirate ship. Outset has Tetra if you saved her. If you activated the FF1 Tetra text, she won't be there. If you didn't save Tetra, Gonzo will be tiny and invisible.

Escape M&C without BoG. Useful for TAS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szebvd6DjSk
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:01:37 PM by Abahbob »

Offline Razor7581

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
    • Youtube
« Reply #803 on: June 03, 2012, 11:36:39 AM »
and Outset has pirate ship.
Which if you enter is set-up in pirate ship 2 configuration (rope game) and therefore if you exit it you will be warped to windfall. Thought this was something interesting.
Rescue Tetra before FF1: is new to me. Did you just find this out?

Offline Abahbob

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
« Reply #804 on: June 11, 2012, 04:35:31 PM »
This is a TAS Route post of course.

Well, Tetra sucks. Mainly Forest of Fairies. IF WE RESCUE TETRA, we need to rescue Tetra before getting KoRL, this is known. But we need to get her before Endless Night and Bombs as well. Both of these cause the KoRL softlock. Rescuing Tetra gives you the sword, so you can't use a Moblin to get to FF1. Rescuing Tetra seems impossible even more. All this is probably known, but just wanting to get it out. So you can't even go to FoF without saving Tetra, as then KoRL will lock because you have bombs. I believe leaf also locks, I'll have to check that later. I talk about leaf because that could help you clip, although I think Mugg checked pretty thoroughly.

Also, you can do FoF without sword pretty easily. Just run up to the 2 bokoblins that drop, and throw a rock at them. Then climb up and get them to follow you to the entrance past where Tetra is. There is a rock over by the ledge up to the first bokoblin. Head over to the first bokoblin and there are 2 rocks to throw at them. If that doesn't kill all of them, you can use the first bokoblin to kill the remaining one.

What sucks is that if you skip the intro, Grandma won't give you the shield. To get the shield, you need to get Tetra to be dropped into the forest before doing FoF. So pretty much this would only skip Orca. But we don't even have a way into FoF besides a long superswim. This may be faster than Orca, but it's a little doubtful.

I've been working a bit more with canceling cutscenes with KoRL text storage and Pirate Password storage. An interesting one is controlling a gull with the Hyoi Pear. You regain control, but pressing Start or whatever button cancels the bird causes the screen to go black. Nothing useful there. I tried to get rid of the white screen after canceling a door by getting treasure off the ocean floor, but no luck. I couldn't get a fish to try feeding it. Hyoi Pear doesn't cancel the white screen as well.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:47:04 PM by Abahbob »

Offline Slowking

• Regular Guay
« Reply #805 on: June 12, 2012, 08:18:56 AM »
Hey, I had an idea for a clip, maybe somebody could check it out. I currently don't have the means to do it myself, sadly.

There is a ledge behind Helmaroc where you can move while hanging from it.
Now you might be able to clip it like the ledge in DRC, so that you can stand half way OOB. This might let you tingle balloon under the spikes, obsoleting the hover. Ofcourse this is only speculation from footage I've seen. Helmarocs ass might be in the way of that corner. But in that case you could probably just hit him with the hammer...
Also don't know if that corner is clipable, but worth a try.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 09:01:53 AM by Slowking »
14:10 MrGrunz: keep your ass close to him
14:10   MrGrunz: and nothing can go wrong

Offline mugg

• Regular Guay
« Reply #806 on: June 12, 2012, 04:16:24 PM »
When would it softlock and how?

Rescue Tetra before Endless Night and before getting Bombs, or else Korl softlock: What is the Korl softlock? Same with above - I was under the impression we could just leave Tetra alone.

I thought we concluded that we skip the FoF upgrade completely.

Why do we need a shield ?

I already had tested using the pear. In wireframe mode you can see that you can only change the camera but are locked.

Slowking: I'm pretty sure you can't ledgeclip due to the way the area is shaped, but maybe we'll get to testing for it later.

Offline Abahbob

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
« Reply #807 on: June 12, 2012, 07:48:14 PM »
Mugg, I meant if you want to save Tetra. You don't need to save her to complete the game. The shield is needed to get to Ship 1.

Offline Slowking

• Regular Guay
« Reply #808 on: June 13, 2012, 03:39:38 AM »
What I just noticed: In his last few runs Cosmo got the exact same cyclon luck. Also in his last few runs, he used a name that was exactly 8 signs long.
Might be coincidence, might not be. Worth investigating?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:41:54 AM by Slowking »

Offline KlydeStorm

• Regular Guay
« Reply #809 on: June 13, 2012, 11:59:02 AM »
Hey, I had an idea for a clip, maybe somebody could check it out. I currently don't have the means to do it myself, sadly.

There is a ledge behind Helmaroc where you can move while hanging from it.
Now you might be able to clip it like the ledge in DRC, so that you can stand half way OOB. This might let you tingle balloon under the spikes, obsoleting the hover. Ofcourse this is only speculation from footage I've seen. Helmarocs ass might be in the way of that corner. But in that case you could probably just hit him with the hammer...
Also don't know if that corner is clipable, but worth a try.

You do realize it's a boss fight, right?

Offline mugg

• Regular Guay
« Reply #810 on: June 13, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »
What I just noticed: In his last few runs Cosmo got the exact same cyclon luck. Also in his last few runs, he used a name that was exactly 8 signs long.
Might be coincidence, might not be. Worth investigating?

This was already tested. The cyclone outcome seems frame-dependent.

Offline Slowking

• Regular Guay
« Reply #811 on: June 15, 2012, 11:05:38 AM »
Really? In that case that is one hell of a coincidence.

Sure that name length doesn't somehow play into the RNG for the warp?

Offline Abahbob

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
« Reply #812 on: June 15, 2012, 11:12:13 AM »
This is TWW. Coincedences happen all the time. The idea that it plays into the RNG is ridiculous.

Offline EverAlert

• Regular Guay
« Reply #813 on: June 15, 2012, 12:50:05 PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, this forum doesn't have a help thread and I'm not sure if my question is worthy of a new thread, so I decided to ask here.

Anyway, I recently developed an interest in learning this game, so for now I've been messing around with early game stuff. In FF1, in the room with the two moblins, is there a way to determine/affect the direction the second moblin will turn? It looks impossible to get past him if he turns left, and it feels kinda random. However I noticed he never seems to turn left for other players, so I'm assuming there's some kind of deeper understanding going on here. Any advice?

Sorry for the noob question, I'm still getting used to the way this game works haha, any help is much appreciated. :)

Offline mugg

• Regular Guay
« Reply #814 on: June 15, 2012, 01:01:17 PM »
From what I understand, you can't luck-manipulate any of the moblins. Cosmo seems to be able to bypass all the moblins regardless of which direction the moblins are going initially. Other than this, I can't help...

Offline EverAlert

• Regular Guay
« Reply #815 on: June 16, 2012, 11:13:03 AM »
Hmm, I tried just optimising movement a bit more and it seems to be working out more often. Just needed to be fastuuurrr. (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Rolling mechanics in this game are weird.

Offline Slowking

• Regular Guay
« Reply #816 on: June 16, 2012, 11:33:05 AM »
This is TWW. Coincedences happen all the time. The idea that it plays into the RNG is ridiculous.
I don't see how it's rediculous. The RNG has to take some base numbers from somewhere. Name length would be a good way to randomize further between different games.

It's just really weird that like 8 runs in a row got Southern Fairy Island, either on the first or second try. That is staggeringly unlikely.

Offline Razor7581

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
    • Youtube
« Reply #817 on: June 24, 2012, 01:09:31 PM »
The shield is needed to get to Ship 1.
Maybe I just don't remember this game correctly, but why is it necessary to get to ship 1 in the TAS route? I thought TAS skipped ship 1.

Offline Abahbob

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
« Reply #818 on: July 02, 2012, 07:01:57 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkpd0ekjZN0

Faster WW dive into forest haven. Also pretty consistent.

Offline Razor7581

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
    • Youtube
« Reply #819 on: July 03, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »
Quick little things:

You can sidle behind the song stone in the coffin room in the ET, but no skip because of the stupid door frame.
You can grab the ledge of coffins, so a ledge clip is plausible, but difficult in the tiny space (more likely for TAS if it works).

Offline mugg

• Regular Guay
« Reply #820 on: July 03, 2012, 05:01:49 PM »
I think due to the stone wall being solid, you can't really fit in in order to open the door anyway. I can't remember what came of the testing I did in that room... Ledgeclip on the coffins is almost out of the question for tuner less TAS, though.

Offline Razor7581

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
    • Youtube
« Reply #821 on: July 04, 2012, 06:56:23 AM »
I think due to the stone wall being solid, you can't really fit in in order to open the door anyway. I can't remember what came of the testing I did in that room... Ledgeclip on the coffins is almost out of the question for tuner less TAS, though.
Hmmm... There are loads of hearts in that room all over. Surely TAS could do something like in forest water-less LA skip.

Offline Nook

• Special Guay
« Reply #822 on: July 07, 2012, 07:46:55 AM »
New timesaver in the Wind Temple for 100% from GlitchesAndStuff and Demon9 (I was there idk if I helped). In the room across where you get the Hookshot with the breakable floor panels, it turns out that you don't have to visit the floor below the panels each time, you only need to unequip the Iron Boots right before they break the floor and leaf away to solid ground. You do need to do the first and last ones though, the first one to position the spring in the floor below to get out (when all the enemies are there, it's impossible to push) and the last one because you can't avoid the drop because of the Treasure Chart chest appearing cutscene.

Edit: Newer method (by me this time). Stand on the edge of the breakable panel and equip the boots. Buffer them until you hear the impact noise they make (not synced with when they hit they ground), and switch the boots with another item. Sidehop off the panel and you won't need the leaf. Also makes it so that you don't ever have to go down below, as you can sidehop before the chest appeearing cutscene. Then just damage boost to the platform with the Treasure Chart & Small Key

Offline Abahbob

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
« Reply #823 on: July 07, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »
Nook, can you post a link to your current 100% route? I wanna test it again.

Offline Nook

• Special Guay
« Reply #824 on: July 07, 2012, 11:56:37 AM »

Offline T00lri0t

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #825 on: July 25, 2012, 09:43:20 AM »
So I realize this is super noob status but I am having massive trouble with hovering. I've watched the videos of the two hand tap method and can't seem to get it do I bought a turbo controller.... Which sucks. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've seen vids where a turbo controller works like a pro is there a certain model I need to look for??

Offline Abahbob

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
« Reply #826 on: July 25, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »
What I do is as soon as I get knocked down, I hold L and start mashing a and b with my index and middle fingers. Once I get a little height I switch to just b and let go of L. Any turbo controller should work. Make sure you aren't turboing L, and that you turbo both A and B. But really you should keep trying it without turbo. I just use one hand, I may eventually switch to two hands, but it'll be in the air and not to start the hover.

Offline T00lri0t

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #827 on: July 25, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »
I think I may have gotten a cheap turbo controller cuz once I start the hover link starts to slowly fall back to the ground despite the hover actually working. I was able to use a combination of the controller and just mashing like crazy to try to get bombs early but I ended up like 10 mins away from tingle island before landing in the sea (after 2 hours of hovering >.<) I guess I should just work on my mashing skills. Thanks for the help!

Offline Abahbob

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
« Reply #828 on: July 25, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »
Yeah that seems like a pretty cheap controller. A turbo controller should get perfect hovers.

Offline mzxrules

• Mega Guay
  • Wrong warp expert
« Reply #829 on: July 26, 2012, 12:49:10 PM »
Does your controller allow for variable turbo speeds? What brand is it?
Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.

Offline Majora MIM

• Special Guay
« Reply #830 on: July 26, 2012, 05:52:29 PM »
Practice with two fingers. The key is regularity, not speed. Two fingers = 2 times faster so just relax and go about half the speed you would use for hovering with one hand then use two fingers alternatively at said speed.

Practice the regularity then speed up the move.
sorry for my soooo bad english.

TLOZ: complete     AOL: complete     ALTTP(GBA): 100%
LA(DX): complete   OOT/MQ/3D: 100%    MM: 100%
OOA/OOS: 100%    FS:100%   TWW:100%
 FSA: 100%     TMC: 100%     TP: 100%
PH: 100%        ST: 100%         SS: ???

Offline T00lri0t

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #831 on: July 26, 2012, 06:51:09 PM »
@mzkrules
I went to GameStop and bought the only turbo controller they had in stock. The guy told me they don't really sell them much anymore unfortunately for me. I've read and heard about the "pelican" series is that a good one to use??

@majora mim
I saw that somewhere too so I've found a good practice spot by swimming in water not deep enough to start the breathe thing and listen to the speed of the noise from my button mashing. Maybe I just need to practice it more cuz it sounds like a lot of people can do it pretty well.

Thanks for all the help and feedback!

Offline GlitchesAndStuff

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
  • Feel free to ask me anything
« Reply #832 on: July 29, 2012, 09:30:03 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhSAh19wIUc

I've checked and it seems to be the case that you can't climb up or land on that ledge so that you're half OoB, otherwise a tingle balloon would work. If someone wants to try this out or test for a way to do this on console though, I think it would be cool, it saves like 1-2 minutes in the TAS I think

Offline Abahbob

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
« Reply #833 on: July 30, 2012, 12:13:26 PM »
Atleast in the Jap version, it is possible to just sidehop over the Tetra text in FF1. ILs fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vv92K2kL9k
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:27:52 PM by Abahbob »

Offline Gords

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #834 on: August 14, 2012, 06:04:42 AM »
hi guys, new to zeldaspeedruns. i have done a bit of ww speedrunning before for the 4/48 zelda marathon sydney team.

anyways, the main reason why im posting is to say that i found another way to skip the helmaroc king fight that seems a bit easier on the arms and quicker as well. I uploaded the video on youtube, You can find it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiBrY9bddvY

also GlitchesAndStuff
i was fiddling around with a skip like that last year before the 4/48, ill try again now to see if i can find a console way of doing it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:09:10 AM by Gords »

Offline bluephantom340

• Special Guay
« Reply #835 on: September 02, 2012, 03:08:24 PM »
[13:57] <Kaztalek> Give me a week and I guarentee I will be a top 10 MM player.
[18:34:23] <ingx24> i suck at mm
http://www.youtube.com/user/ayumuhd

Offline Narcissa Wright

• Admin
  • Mega Guay
    • ZSR
« Reply #836 on: September 03, 2012, 11:20:29 AM »
Somebody PM'd me this on youtube, maybe worth looking in to

WW superswim without forest water or tools?
I was trying to do the wind waker dive into forest haven earlier, and I somehow got camera lock/superswim as a result of one of my failed attempts. I couldn't find anything like this on ZSR or otherwise, so I thought I'd ask around.

Anyways, I was trying it on the ledge to the right of where you start (the one near the deku babas), but I was trying to do it way too far to the left, near the vertex where that ledge and perpendicular ledge meet.

Link slid off the ledge like in a normal dive, but he immediately put the wind waker away, leaving me with camera lock like when using storage. I'm pretty sure I was alternatively mashing between Z+down and B due to ineptitude. If it matters, this was on a file after doing the cutscene skip glitch in forsaken fortress, but I don't know why that would change the physics in any way.

I have no idea if this would be at all useful in any sort of run, if you could do it anywhere else, and whatnot. I've been trying to replicate it for hours now, but am failing because I suck ass at this game. I'll put up a video if I actually figure it out though.

Offline Abahbob

• Site Editor
  • Special Guay
« Reply #837 on: September 03, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
Well, Forest Water-less Storage is now here. Doing a WW Dive onto land and canceling it about 3 frames before you touch the ground causes storage. 1 frame trick. All you need is the waker. Have fun.

Offline ArcaneZaros

• Deku Scrub
  • Happy 12th Birthday ZFG!
    • Youtube
« Reply #838 on: September 03, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »
Well, Forest Water-less Storage is now here. Doing a WW Dive onto land and canceling it about 3 frames before you touch the ground causes storage. 1 frame trick. All you need is the waker. Have fun.

Break out the champagne glasses, Wind Waker was just broken wide open everyone. History in the making.

Offline Jeville

• Special Guay
  • "special"
« Reply #839 on: September 05, 2012, 01:37:09 PM »
Now the game doesn't have to be viewed in TAS to be entertaining.