Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: OoT3D: Boss Time Attack  (Read 216129 times)

thundrio

• Special Guay
OoT3D: Boss Time Attack
« on: June 15, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »

This is like the IL threads for other games, but this time we have an actual timer! after we get a bunch of submissions I (or whoever) can make a page on zsr, but I am lazy right now.

Rules:
1) Take a picture (remember to turn off the 3D first) of the final time displayed on boss select screen (not the time from killing the boss), and upload it.
2) Use the normal game (not master quest) for individual bosses, because I don't think the differences in normal boss fights warrant separate categories. For the boss gauntlet, the original and master quest version are separate categories.

if anybody thinks i forgot something, or wishes to dispute the rules go ahead.

Time are now featured on their own page!

http://zeldaspeedruns.com/oot3d/speedruns/boss-time-attack
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:53:00 AM by mzxrules »
[19:30] <[email protected]> i love programmin
[19:30] <[email protected]> if thing == otherthing: do thingything !!!!!!!!

maxx

• Admin
  • Special Guay
Re: Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D Boss Time Attack
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 11:23:06 AM »

If MQ is any different I think we should track times for both. Otherwise rules look good from what I can tell. We can tweak them if something comes up.

thundrio

• Special Guay
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:19:25 PM »

there are 3 differences in MQ for boss attack i believe.

1) Less items available

2) mirrored rooms

3) bosses do double damage

I didnt think these changes warrented another table for these reasons.

1) with deku stick doing normal power and pcs being gone, i dont see how item changes could effect time (unless they did something silly like give you ice arrows in normal and not MQ, or biggoron sword).

2) i dont think mirrored rooms matter really because boss rooms are pretty much symmetrical.

3) in a time attack you shouldnt be getting hit anyway, so this really doesnt matter.

of course if any of these reasons actually do play a difference in time, i will add a second table.

Cosmo

• Admin
  • Mega Guay
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 05:19:10 PM »

http://www21.atwiki.jp/zeldarta/pages/30.html

JP wiki for Boss times... and probably full game runs

Mike

• Regular Guay
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 05:24:27 PM »

3) in a time attack you shouldnt be getting hit anyway, so this really doesnt matter.

I'm not exactly sure if that is true, I would think. For example, one chest leading up to Barinade contains Deku Nuts. The time stops when you get the chest item, so you only lose the time that it takes to deviate off the optimal path to the warp spot to get to the chest and such. It's like a second or less. And as we all know, Deku Nuts insta-kill the Bari in phase 2 and 3 of the Barinade battle, so I'd suspect the trade off there is worth it. And on King Dodongo, you don't actually have any bombs if you don't pick up the bombs from one of the chests after defeating Gohma. You have to run to a Bomb Flower, and I'm pretty sure that adds a few seconds on the first toss since you can't get around KD in time to get the bomb behind him, so you have to run to the one behind you and then run back.

http://www21.atwiki.jp/zeldarta/pages/30.html

JP wiki for Boss times... and probably full game runs

Eck, wth @ Gohma time. Is PCS still in JPN version or something? I just retried the KD boss battle after seeing that time. (sorry for bad quality, cell phone cam - will take a better photo later if it's still suspect) Edit: co-worker snapped a better photo for me, so there.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:29:25 AM by TSA »

maxx

• Admin
  • Special Guay
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:14:19 PM »

Yeah until an AR device comes out for 3DS or anything like that, I think picture proof is fine. Maybe if we start getting a lot of questionable submissions, but to start things off I think everyone would be able to participate more if we only used pictures for time.

Mike

• Regular Guay
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 07:31:39 PM »

Yeah until an AR device comes out for 3DS or anything like that, I think picture proof is fine. Maybe if we start getting a lot of questionable submissions, but to start things off I think everyone would be able to participate more if we only used pictures for time.

Yea, I don't think there are any AR/GS devices yet, and even though I've heard people have dumped ROMs, there's nothing to play them on yet, so no chance of modified versions of a game...yet. I wasn't actually submitting a time I guess, just showing that I think perhaps that time on the JPN site isn't quite indicative of what the better times will eventually be. Still, that Gohma time is bugging me. I always come up one jump attack short of the first cycle, and that's if I'm spot on (usually I'm two jump attacks short). Maybe there's a chance that time is for beating Gohma in-game, not necessarily in Boss Rush? I'm sure it's probably something obvious that a video will show off eventually. Would be cool if somebody figured out a way to pull of some kind of cancelling ability that cuts down on recovery time after doing a jump attack. Also, has anyone verified that you can keep continuously attacking certain enemies/bosses with properly timed attacks? Haven't really tried that out just yet.

Figured it out below.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:28:41 AM by TSA »

Kaztalek

• Special Guay
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »

greenalink said you can 1 cycle gohma with deku stick hits.. lmao
* ZFG sets mode: +b [email protected]
* KlydeStorm was kicked by ZFG (I'll destroy you)

Mike

• Regular Guay
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 09:12:10 PM »

greenalink said you can 1 cycle gohma with deku stick hits.. lmao

::) You don't get Deku Sticks in the Boss Rush mode for the battle against Gohma. However, you can beat her in one cycle.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:27:58 AM by TSA »

thundrio

• Special Guay
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 09:03:43 PM »

your kd pic leads to the ghoma pic, i cant add the time until i see a pic of it for proof.

Mike

• Regular Guay
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 09:38:47 PM »

Ok, I just figured out how to beat Gohma in 1 cycle without Deku Sticks. After stunning her, hit her with a swing as you draw your sword, jupm attack 4x, mash out final swing. Only took 10 attempts to figure it out. Got 7.56 (pic later, at friends house with crappy cell phone). Congrats on tying thr KD mark.

Queen Gohma: 7:56 (pic incoming later Sunday when roommate with camera returns)
King Dodongo: 37:46
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:30:19 AM by TSA »

maxx

• Admin
  • Special Guay
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 12:55:33 AM »

Ok, I just figured out how to beat Gohma in 1 cycle without Deku Sticks. After stunning her, hit her with a swing as you draw your sword, jupm attack 4x, mash out final swing. Only took 10 attempts to figure it out. Got 7.56 (pic later, at friends house with crappy cell phone). Congrats on tying thr KD mark.

Queen Gohma: 7:56 (pic incoming later Sunday when roommate with camera returns)
King Dodongo: 37:46

It's simpler than you think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfpnqCung80

Your way is probably faster though.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:00:37 AM by Maxx »

Mike

• Regular Guay
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 03:40:20 PM »

It's simpler than you think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfpnqCung80

Your way is probably faster though.

Heh, so you can keep her down with timed attacks. Cool.

Here's a quick video showing my two times for QG/KD - I'll be able to do direct feed vids probably this week, so if I do any more times, I'll capture the whole thing. Switch the vid to 720p to get the time sorta clear. Audio in bg is NorCal MvC3 team finals stream.

Cosmo

• Admin
  • Mega Guay
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 12:28:44 PM »

Is there a list of all the chest contents for the gauntlet?

thundrio

• Special Guay
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 12:54:54 PM »

I think zelda dungeon said they were going to make one. they dont have it up yet

aleckermit

• Mega Guay
  • back in green
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 07:30:34 PM »

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:45:56 PM by aleckermit »
http://youtube.com/aleckermit

<@Swordless> Have you had this problem before? A game not starting until you cleaned it?

Pokey

• Special Guay
  • also pheenoh <3
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »

37:40 on King Dodongo.

Don't have a good camera so deal with it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:39:33 PM by Pokey »
I for one think that there are no glitches in OoT. It's just gameshark codes.

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.

Pokey

• Special Guay
  • also pheenoh <3
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 09:43:35 PM »

32.43 on Volvagia.

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.

Mike

• Regular Guay
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 09:59:28 PM »

Putting Japan on notice.

6.66 on Queen Gohma. And I'm pretty confident I can do faster.

Congrats on the KD time Pokey.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 10:19:14 PM by TSA »

aleckermit

• Mega Guay
  • back in green
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 10:35:35 PM »

Morpha in 33.83

<@Swordless> Have you had this problem before? A game not starting until you cleaned it?

Mike

• Regular Guay
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 11:13:06 PM »

Morpha in 32.03. That's all for me tonight.

Pokey

• Special Guay
  • also pheenoh <3
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 08:02:12 AM »

53.33 on Phantom Ganon:

With power crouch stab gone it is impossible to get 2 cycle (6 jumpslashes). So I came up with a strat to get a fast 3 cycle.

I put my finger at the bottom to help see the numbers. It takes away the white blob that you saw on the first picture I took (not on here anymore)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:05:54 AM by Pokey »

Mike

• Regular Guay
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 09:58:12 AM »

With power crouch stab gone it is impossible to get 2 cycle (6 jumpslashes). So I came up with a strat to get a fast 3 cycle.

I put my finger at the bottom to help see the numbers. It takes away the white blob that you saw on the first picture I took (not on here anymore)

It is not impossible to get 2 cycles. From an earlier post:

You can beat him in 2 cycles. Keep close to him, hit fireball back at him at Jump Slash range, jump slash immediately to hit him as he falls, but before he touches ground. If you did that right, you bounce back a bit. Mash out two more Jump Attacks, and they will land (you'll be perfectly aligned so you won't slide left/right/behind him after jump attack animation). Just did this on boss rush mode.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:03:40 AM by TSA »

Pokey

• Special Guay
  • also pheenoh <3
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »

24.73 on Morpha:

Pokey

• Special Guay
  • also pheenoh <3
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 12:29:35 PM »

18:40 on Bongo Bongo:

Cosmo

• Admin
  • Mega Guay
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 12:37:39 PM »

MEGA-PWN!!!!!

Cosmo

• Admin
  • Mega Guay
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 01:28:16 PM »

rofl

Mike

• Regular Guay
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »

rofl

Ha, that's some serious ownage.

So any chance that once we start providing actual videos anyone would be in favor of revising the rules to end the timer upon the death blow? The timer always freezes on that to play out the death animation, so there would be no difficulty in discerning that time. I think it's kinda screwy to have times on some of these boil down to how close you are to the warp portal or bad camera angles for moving to the warp. Otherwise, I can see this all eventually coming down to who can "move" the fastest to the warp races.

Cosmo

• Admin
  • Mega Guay
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 10:41:55 PM »

I strongly disagree for a couple reasons-- we finally have a legit ingame timer which (so far) seems to be un-abusable.

I know rolling at a warp isn't really what a boss fight is all about, but these things are gonna be a frame-war anyway (especially king dodongo)

Also in my spare time I might do a bunch of boss runs but not really have a desire/means to record at that given time, so I like the screenshot proofs, especially that the 3ds isn't hackable at the moment.

finally, it seems in many cases the location of Link and the camera are always the same after the boss death cutscene. This is true of twinrova, PG, Bongo, Gohma?? Volvagia?? I'm not sure about all of these but it seems something that can be 'practiced' and not really left up to a lucky camera.

plus I have no clue what my time was defeating bongo, only the end time, lol

Mike

• Regular Guay
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 07:33:35 AM »

I strongly disagree for a couple reasons-- we finally have a legit ingame timer which (so far) seems to be un-abusable.

I know rolling at a warp isn't really what a boss fight is all about, but these things are gonna be a frame-war anyway (especially king dodongo)

Also in my spare time I might do a bunch of boss runs but not really have a desire/means to record at that given time, so I like the screenshot proofs, especially that the 3ds isn't hackable at the moment.

finally, it seems in many cases the location of Link and the camera are always the same after the boss death cutscene. This is true of twinrova, PG, Bongo, Gohma?? Volvagia?? I'm not sure about all of these but it seems something that can be 'practiced' and not really left up to a lucky camera.

plus I have no clue what my time was defeating bongo, only the end time, lol

Yea, right now it's mainly Morpha that bugs me. And yes, you're correct on most of these, the camera angle/position is pre-set after the death animation completes (King Dodongo is always the same, for instance). I guess the more repetition, the more familiar it will be for everyone. I just personally don't like the 3DS analog pad, and compared to the N64 stick and even the GCN stick, I can't move as precisely (still hard to run straight at times, backwalking frequently interrupted by inadvertent diagonal walks, etc). Again, probably just an issue of need to play more and become comfortable with the pad.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:35:20 AM by TSA »

Pokey

• Special Guay
  • also pheenoh <3
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 07:46:10 AM »

TSA how did you get a 6.66 on Gohma? And what did "Putting Japan on notice" mean?

Mike

• Regular Guay
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 08:03:18 AM »

TSA how did you get a 6.66 on Gohma? And what did "Putting Japan on notice" mean?

1) I put the strategy above. I'll make (should be able to) a video today to show it in real-time so you guys can use it.
2) That's just a phrase that's used in many avenues, but I was using it in the context of how the fighting game community uses it. It's just a playful taunt. The Japanese wiki times are still above 7 seconds, so that's why I said it to Japan.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:05:03 AM by TSA »

Cosmo

• Admin
  • Mega Guay
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 03:05:39 PM »

aleckermit

• Mega Guay
  • back in green
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 03:46:23 PM »

KD in 37.43

I'm coming for you Pokey  8)

Pokey

• Special Guay
  • also pheenoh <3
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 09:07:29 PM »

Barinade sucks without deku nuts. I'm giving up on it and just using this time.

aleckermit

• Mega Guay
  • back in green
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2011, 09:38:50 PM »

Gauntlet in 7:30.90

Shit's hard. Lots of luck involved.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:45:14 PM by aleckermit »

Cosmo

• Admin
  • Mega Guay
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 10:16:06 PM »

more ppl should post times even if not perfect to fill up the board :)

aleckermit

• Mega Guay
  • back in green
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, 11:10:16 PM »

TwinRova in 2:01.70

First phase is everything.

D U F I

• Regular Guay
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2011, 06:25:39 AM »

Morpha in 28:06

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/zeldapng.jpg/

Sorry about the quality but there is nothing I can do about it atm.

Greenalink

• Special Guay
  • DS Dictator
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2011, 08:24:38 AM »

I'm not going to make serious runs on this until my 3DS is modded with the add on.
New DS PHAT Capture Device on its way (Sep 2011)!!!
More info:
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/3ds_capture_device_214.html

Yes I am a speed runner focused on DS games
Notable runs:
Phantom Hourglass
SM64 DS
New Super Mario Bros (DS).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6