ZSR Forums
March 29, 2024, 05:22:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which of these ways would you prefer?
HTML - 3 (23.1%)
Markdown - 10 (76.9%)
BBCode - 0 (0%)
Plain Text - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How would YOU prefer to write content for ZSR pages?  (Read 7504 times)
Maxx
Admin
Special Guay

« on: December 16, 2010, 01:30:30 AM »

OK, so as many of you know I'm working on ZSR.  Once this is done, you guys will be able to make pages without having to know anything at all about FTP or PHP.  I have some ideas that will make writing for ZSR easier, but I want to make sure you guys are comfortable with it before I go too far down one path.  Here are the options that I'm thinking of:

HTML:
I'm sure some of you know enough HTML to write pages.  For example, this is what the HTML for the Steal the Rod page might look like:
Code:
<h1>Steal the Rod</h1>

<p>Stealing the rod is how you get a bottle on B to start BA and RBA.  Blah Blah Blah (words)...</p>

<h2>Method 1</h2>
<h3>Discovered by: Somebody</h3>

<p>Use the hover boots or jump off the rocks. (1.0 only)</p>

<h2>Method 2</h2>
<h3>Discovered by: Somebody Else</h3>

<p>Dive and cast. (all versions)</p>
Headers go in <h> tags with a number, paragraphs go in <p> tags.  Embedding Youtube videos is a little more complicated, but still pretty easy.  This is a pretty good option.

Markdown:
Markdown is my favorite option.  It has all the strengths of HTML to do complicated things, but is much more suited for writing.  The full syntax can be read about here, but a quick example of the Steal the Rod page would look something like:
Code:
# Steal the Rod #

Stealing the rod is how you get a bottle on B to start BA and RBA.  Blah Blah Blah (words)...

## Method 1 ##
### Discovered by: Somebody ###

Use the hover boots or jump off the rocks. (1.0 only)

## Method 2 ##
### Discovered by: Somebody Else ###

Dive and cast. (all versions)
In addition to the simpler syntax, you can also use any regular HTML that you need within Markdown (for example, to embed a video).  Honestly I think this is perfect, and if you prefer regular HTML you could write it too and everything would still work.  I hope we go with this option.

BBCode:
This is what you normally use to write/edit posts on these forums (and SDA's).  The Steal the Rod page would look like:
Code:
[size=14pt]Steal the Rod[/size]

Stealing the rod is how you get a bottle on B to start BA and RBA.  Blah Blah Blah (words)...

[size=12pt]Method 1[/size]
[size=9pt]Discovered by: Somebody[/size]

Use the hover boots or jump off the rocks. (1.0 only)

[size=12pt]Method 2[/size]
[size=9pt]Discovered by: Somebody Else[/size]

Dive and cast. (all versions)
Personally I think this way is awful.  It's a lot like HTML (without the <p> tags) except it's way more verbose and way less powerful.  This way would also be a lot more work for me and I don't think it buys us anything at all.  It's mostly only an option because you guys might already be really familiar with it from posting here.

Plain Text:
This would just be writing text.  Anything you can do in Notepad, you could do here.  Anything else (different text sizes, images, embedding videos), you could not.  The ONLY reason we would do this is if you guys really couldn't figure out anything else.

(For the record, each of these options could have a menu of easy-to-use buttons that you can click on to add the tags for you, just like the buttons you can use to make text bold and different colors when you post on these forums.)

So... what do you think?  My vote goes to Markdown, but I'm open to suggestions.
Maxx
Admin
Special Guay

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 01:32:59 AM »

Also to clarify, this would not affect the way the pages LOOK (except if you choose plain text), just the way that you WRITE them.  Pages written with HTML, Markdown, and BBCode would all look the same on the website.
ZFG
Mega Guay

also pheenoh <3

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 01:41:52 AM »

Markdown sounds good.

I for one think that there are no glitches in OoT. It's just gameshark codes.

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 03:44:47 AM »

yeah go with markdown, it seems to be the least complicated and the most useful.

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
Runnerguy2489
Special Guay

I'm not your buddy, guay!

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 10:40:38 AM »

Markdown is good. I like the idea of buttons to click to add tags too. One thing I noticed about the way pages are made now is that page-to-page consistency is lacking. Some people embed videos different, or don't use the discoveredby tag, or use different <hx> sizings, or whatever. It was especially difficult to edit a page that you yourself did not create because you were just trying to figure out what the other person had done with their code. I think buttons would help at least a little to solve this problem.

runnerguy your such a mother fucker. whats with all this bombchu shit? all everyone who likes this shit is stupid. ur a fucking cheater. u did that the wrong way, thats not how to get past the king zora u cheater. u suck and i wont continue watching all ur shit! videos.
Razor7581
Site Editor
Special Guay

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 09:45:21 PM »

Mark down, because you really don't need to know any specific abbreviations or anything.

Rescue Tetra before FF1: is new to me. Did you just find this out?
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 11:37:25 PM »

Some things that bother me abouth markdown

Quote from: Paragraphs and Line Breaks
When you do want to insert a <br /> break tag using Markdown, you end a line with two or more spaces, then type return.

Quote from: Lists
It’s worth noting that it’s possible to trigger an ordered list by accident, by writing something like this:
1986. What a great season.

Quote from: Code Blocks
To produce a code block in Markdown, simply indent every line of the block by at least 4 spaces or 1 tab.

I'm not entirely sold on the idea of replacing tags with careful formatting, but I do like how easy it'd make writing links. Even so, you'd still have to use html for some things, and javascript for hosted/youtube videos, and Markdown seems to be incredibly useless for formatting images on the page.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:41:13 PM by mzxrules » Logged

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Maxx
Admin
Special Guay

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 12:56:14 AM »

You shouldn't ever need to write a <br> tag or display code on a page. The ordered list thing could be a problem, though.

And yeah, you would need HTML for anything complicated.  Luckily you can just type it and it will work.
Chimpas
Regular Guay

Inlove with Twilight Princess

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 07:31:18 PM »

What about some wiki-like writting??
It's just like markdown and it allows to add hypertext really easy
[youtube.com/anything?=jjdhgfbkwu Blue Text Here], I don´t know how would this work on markdown

Maxx
Admin
Special Guay

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »

What about some wiki-like writting??
It's just like markdown and it allows to add hypertext really easy
[youtube.com/anything?=jjdhgfbkwu Blue Text Here], I don´t know how would this work on markdown

To do that in Markdown it would look like:

[Blue Text Here](http://youtube.com/anything?=jjdhgfbkwu)

Not exactly the same but I think it's pretty reasonable.  Adding markdown support is way easier for me than mediawiki (or whatever wiki) syntax would be, and they're pretty similar anyway.
Maxx
Admin
Special Guay

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 06:09:09 AM »

Preview of editing pages:

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8117/screenshot20110101at527.png
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 09:04:11 AM »

I don't like the really long timestamp, but that'd take nothing to fix =d

Now some questions... In whatever order I feel like:
Why is it that the original author and last updated by not another text box?
What about security?
How do you add new categories?
Can you fix the OoT Version Differences page so that it's valid html 4? The fire temple music thing has been broken in Chrome since forever, and now it automatically downloads on me.
You doing anything with the IL tables or the News Archive, or can I work on those?

Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Maxx
Admin
Special Guay

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 09:52:21 PM »

I don't like the really long timestamp, but that'd take nothing to fix =d
Yeah I'll fix that.

Now some questions... In whatever order I feel like:
Why is it that the original author and last updated by not another text box?
Those are going to disappear anyway.  It will automatically use the username of whoever creates the page for original author, and whoever last updated the page for last updated.

What about security?
You'll have to login (with a username/password) to get to these pages.  Each user will get their own account.  Certain accounts will be allowed to add/edit pages, but not everyone.  Each person will have to get approval from an admin before their account can edit.

How do you add new categories?
A similar page.  You just login and click on an "Add Category" link.  On that page you can select a game and type a category name.

Can you fix the OoT Version Differences page so that it's valid html 4? The fire temple music thing has been broken in Chrome since forever, and now it automatically downloads on me.
Yeah I'll take a look at it and make it HTML 4.01 or XHTML 1.1, but I'm not editing anything at all on the current site right now so it wouldn't be different until I finish this new system and put it up.

You doing anything with the IL tables or the News Archive, or can I work on those?
I'm definitely retooling the News system but I haven't done anything yet with the IL stuff.  I completely started over code-wise though (not even using PHP at the moment).
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 07:16:36 PM »

Since I don't know how long it will be until this stuff comes out, and since it will most likely mess things up if you convert pages, I wrote my own little javascript to generate and properly link the navi bar. Takes one parameter, and if no parameters have been passed it writes a navi bar to the page. It looks like this when used
Code:
<h2><script type="text/javascript">navi("Skip Lighting Dodongo's Eyes Without Hover");</h2>

Braid
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: