ZSR Forums
April 19, 2024, 09:38:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Twilight Princess GCN any% BiT run  (Read 45945 times)
TLoZSR
Regular Guay

Working on Skyward Sword: segmented and rta

Email
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 04:51:33 AM »

Ugh, I've been busy the last week, haven't had time for a segment attempt. I should have segment 3 done by hopefully tomorrow

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:45:50 PM by TLoZSR » Logged
TLoZSR
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 05:47:06 AM »

Yeah, I know, double post (BAD!) but anyways, I've finished segment three. You can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osiXZnZosaA

A couple notes on segment 3:

My least favorite segment so far, so much luck manipulation. But anyways, The segment isn't perfect, I miss the jumpslash into the monkey in cage cutscene, and goat herding could have been a little better. However, for the amount of time I spent with this segment (at least 18 hours) I am happy with it and ready to move on. The total segment time is: 5:40 which brings my run time up to 8:44. Segment 4 doesn't seem too hard, I should be done with it hopefully soon.
Chimpas
Regular Guay

Inlove with Twilight Princess

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 03:46:12 PM »

Dude if you always have doubt please visit the run I done, I mean the route is a little different but anyway you might use the strats I used

TLoZSR
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »

Dude if you always have doubt please visit the run I done, I mean the route is a little different but anyway you might use the strats I used

Ok, thanks, I've been looking at Salamoj's segments, but since he only made it to the third one I'll check your's out.
TLoZSR
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 06:00:32 AM »

Ok, finished segment four with a time of 4:06, the segment can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esA7GoETwcM

Some notes:

This was a quite enjoyable segment for me, a nice treat before the torture of the sword and shield skip. This segment was pretty much flawless, except for one slightly off jump at the end. I really didn't have too much trouble with this segment, the only thing that ever screwed me up was my encoder lagging out D: So yeah, enjoy the segment!
RingRush
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 06:58:02 AM »

I think you may need to up the quality of your segments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK82t46v7vE <-- This segment, equivalent to yours, is significantly faster (I didn't watch either segment, just looking at the timing).

Out of curiousity, what are your motivations for running TP? If it is just for fun, you can probably keep going. But if you want to get a high quality run, I'd suggest revisiting some of the segments you've already done and work a bit more on optimizing them. It will be more rewarding in the end when you look at the finished product (trust me, having early segments that you are unhappy with at the end of a long run is an awful feeling).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 07:00:51 AM by RingRush » Logged

ded
aleckermit
Mega Guay

back in green

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 02:36:35 PM »

I think you may need to up the quality of your segments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK82t46v7vE <-- This segment, equivalent to yours, is significantly faster (I didn't watch either segment, just looking at the timing).

Out of curiousity, what are your motivations for running TP? If it is just for fun, you can probably keep going. But if you want to get a high quality run, I'd suggest revisiting some of the segments you've already done and work a bit more on optimizing them. It will be more rewarding in the end when you look at the finished product (trust me, having early segments that you are unhappy with at the end of a long run is an awful feeling).

100% agree. Your newest segment didn't seem like much of an improvment over your first recorded try, your goat herding was like 3 or 4 seconds slower than your first video. Another big tip I can give you is to practice practice practice each segment for a couple hours before starting to record attempts (saves time in the long run and makes segments easier to complete). Go through the segment slowly, look for optimizations and learn each part of the segment inside and out. You should always be on-par or faster than a segment that's been released before.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:42:56 PM by aleckermit » Logged

http://youtube.com/aleckermit

<@Swordless> Have you had this problem before? A game not starting until you cleaned it?
TLoZSR
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 03:42:05 PM »

Holy crap! I thought I had a great 4th segment, I'll be redoing that one for sure.

My motivations for running this game are for fun, and for a good time. I do feel like sometimes I am rushing the segments, especially the 3rd segment, which was a pain in the ass, so I took the first thing that was close enough to perfect. What's really pissing me off is that no one has done a run exactly like mine, so I've got nothing to really compare my run to. Of course there are other runs, like the one ringrush linked that have similar or identical segments. Guess part of me is still left in the single segment world, back when I tried Ocarina of Time RTA, so yeah, I've got to step it up.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:56:06 PM by TLoZSR » Logged
Chimpas
Regular Guay

Inlove with Twilight Princess

WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 05:03:19 PM »

Holy crap! I thought I had a great 4th segment, I'll be redoing that one for sure.

My motivations for running this game are for fun, and for a good time. I do feel like sometimes I am rushing the segments, especially the 3rd segment, which was a pain in the ass, so I took the first thing that was close enough to perfect. What's really pissing me off is that no one has done a run exactly like mine, so I've got nothing to really compare my run to. Of course there are other runs, like the one ringrush linked that have similar or identical segments. Guess part of me is still left in the single segment world, back when I tried Ocarina of Time RTA, so yeah, I've got to step it up.
If you really want to have a good time, restart your run, a tip I can give you is: LIMIT YOUR LOST SECONDS OVER THE PLAYED MINUTES.
  I allow myself to lost 1 second per minute played, if the segment is 3-4 minutes long, if the segment is 5 minutes or longer te 5 seconds lost per minute is ok, like in my run at segment 1, 1:00 minute long and 1 second lost (can you find it??), segment 30 (31??) well Arbiter's Ground's, thugh I haven´t uploaded it, it was 14:07 minutes long, with around 15 seconds lost. What I want to say is, do the route 3 or 4 times, speedrun it and get a nice time, then, only then, you will have a great time cuz you will learn each part. I have to admit I have only done the BiT run only once (yay!) but actually I had beat the EMS route several times with recordable times, the route is practically the same.
 I just don´t want you to quit your run when you'r facing the rupee dive, or morpheel withour zora armor, and please do houndreds of little timesavers, many people just say: "nah! it saves only 5 seconds" or so, well, a good amount of 5 seconds timesavers add valious minutes to the saved time. Do your best.

TLoZSR
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 05:22:08 PM »

If you really want to have a good time, restart your run, a tip I can give you is: LIMIT YOUR LOST SECONDS OVER THE PLAYED MINUTES.
  I allow myself to lost 1 second per minute played, if the segment is 3-4 minutes long, if the segment is 5 minutes or longer te 5 seconds lost per minute is ok, like in my run at segment 1, 1:00 minute long and 1 second lost (can you find it??), segment 30 (31??) well Arbiter's Ground's, thugh I haven´t uploaded it, it was 14:07 minutes long, with around 15 seconds lost. What I want to say is, do the route 3 or 4 times, speedrun it and get a nice time, then, only then, you will have a great time cuz you will learn each part. I have to admit I have only done the BiT run only once (yay!) but actually I had beat the EMS route several times with recordable times, the route is practically the same.
 I just don´t want you to quit your run when you'r facing the rupee dive, or morpheel withour zora armor, and please do houndreds of little timesavers, many people just say: "nah! it saves only 5 seconds" or so, well, a good amount of 5 seconds timesavers add valious minutes to the saved time. Do your best.

Ok, I think I'll do that, I'll be playing through the route for the next few days, then maybe through the route again, and I'll start all over on the first segment
aleckermit
Mega Guay

back in green

WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 05:49:38 PM »

Yeah segmented running takes a specific mindset and process to be enjoyable and preformed well. Playing through a segment once or twice successfully and then rushing into recorded attempts is the worst thing you can possibly do, it's frustrating because you'll mess up the little stuff you didn't practice enough and it wastes lots of time in the long run. Play the segments relaxed and learn them well, find time savers, and then once you can play through the segment to the end quickly and consistently, then you should start recording attempts. Referencing other people's runs and asking people here on the forums about anything you're not sure of is key as well.

I rushed at the begining of my Star Wars SotE run and I look back now and see that I could have easily saved 5 easy seconds in segment 2, 5+ seconds in segment 3 if I was more patient, etc. By the time I was half way through the run I had gotten much better at running the game than when I started and the later segments came easier and contained smoother play. You should master your playing ability before you start recording.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 05:53:16 PM by aleckermit » Logged

http://youtube.com/aleckermit

<@Swordless> Have you had this problem before? A game not starting until you cleaned it?
TLoZSR
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 06:28:52 PM »

Yeah segmented running takes a specific mindset and process to be enjoyable and preformed well. Playing through a segment once or twice successfully and then rushing into recorded attempts is the worst thing you can possibly do, it's frustrating because you'll mess up the little stuff you didn't practice enough and it wastes lots of time in the long run. Play the segments relaxed and learn them well, find time savers, and then once you can play through the segment to the end quickly and consistently, then you should start recording attempts. Referencing other people's runs and asking people here on the forums about anything you're not sure of is key as well.

I rushed at the begining of my Star Wars SotE run and I look back now and see that I could have easily saved 5 easy seconds in segment 2, 5+ seconds in segment 3 if I was more patient, etc. By the time I was half way through the run I had gotten much better at running the game than when I started and the later segments came easier and contained smoother play. You should master your playing ability before you start recording.

Ok, that sounds good. On a different note, does anybody have any tips on the sword and shield skip? Pushing the Bokoblin is difficult for me.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 08:40:48 PM »

Sword and Shield Skip tips

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Razor7581
Site Editor
Special Guay

WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 10:54:02 PM »

TLoZSR:
I think that you're a great speedrunner, but please don't rush segments. I've been waiting for someone to do a tp BiT any%, and finish it, for a long time. I agree with aleckermit that you should practice each segment for a few hours, but if nothing else, record every attempt of you segments, then compare them and post the best one.  Smiley

Rescue Tetra before FF1: is new to me. Did you just find this out?
TLoZSR
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 11:06:54 PM »

TLoZSR:
I think that you're a great speedrunner, but please don't rush segments. I've been waiting for someone to do a tp BiT any%, and finish it, for a long time. I agree with aleckermit that you should practice each segment for a few hours, but if nothing else, record every attempt of you segments, then compare them and post the best one.  Smiley

Thanks, I really want to finish this run, but I don't think that will happen until I become more familiar with my route and practice the segments some more. I will finish this run.

And thanks for the sword and shield skip tips, I'm getting it pretty consistently now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: