ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 08:14:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: 100% TP Run GCN  (Read 40495 times)
Paraxade
Special Guay

paraxade@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 08:11:14 PM »

To be honest, I think the sword and shield skip is easier than EMS. S&S skip is really very easy to pull off once you get the hang of it. EMS is partially luck-based which makes it annoying.

In any case, from what logitech told me a bit back, you don't need to do EMS for 100% anyway. You can enter the Goron Mines but the problem is you can't trigger the Eldin Bridge getting warped away with EMS, which prevents you from getting the portal there. In turn, you can't warp the bridge out of the desert, so you can't get into the cave of ordeals.

I think the route on the wiki should be fine but it's possible there are a few places here and there where the route could be improved... it's a large and complicated one. Good luck with the run anyway... TP 100% is quite an undertaking, I'd definitely be interested in watching it if you did it.
brynnagiadrosich
Regular Guay

This is my own personal text. You cannot have it.

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 10:11:34 PM »

To be honest, I think the sword and shield skip is easier than EMS. S&S skip is really very easy to pull off once you get the hang of it. EMS is partially luck-based which makes it annoying.

In any case, from what logitech told me a bit back, you don't need to do EMS for 100% anyway. You can enter the Goron Mines but the problem is you can't trigger the Eldin Bridge getting warped away with EMS, which prevents you from getting the portal there. In turn, you can't warp the bridge out of the desert, so you can't get into the cave of ordeals.

I think the route on the wiki should be fine but it's possible there are a few places here and there where the route could be improved... it's a large and complicated one. Good luck with the run anyway... TP 100% is quite an undertaking, I'd definitely be interested in watching it if you did it.

Ooh, yeah, need the portal I think (and cave of ordeals has the poes), so EMS will have to be out of the question for 100% (I have two memory cards I've been messing around on with the game--one card is for my wooden sword run, and the other is trying out different glitches, and I really just want to do EMS for fun, but daggum, it's frustrating for me.)

Yeah, with the sword/shield skip, I could at least look for the line on the wall and do practicing with it, and then there's the fact that you don't have to go through the mists every time you mess up (I accidentally killed all three of them at least 15 times >.<), whereas if you kill the moblin, then you can just reset at the spring. Less time setting it up, which leads to less frustration compared to EMS.

Yeah, I want to do a lot of testing on the route, I'm sure it's good, but like you said, there's always somewhere I'm sure a route could be a bit different. The main thing I see having a problem with the Poes is the whole night/day thing, it's a shame there's no way to pass the time quickly. I've been studying the route and doing some testing on many different things as well. I'll probably post more findings later on in the week. Even if everyone knows about certain things, I always think the more information you have on something, the better you can do it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 10:16:13 PM by brynnagiadrosich » Logged

"To know what is right and choose to ignore it is the act of a coward."

Goal: To speed run Twilight Princess 100%
http://www.youtube.com/user/brynnagiadrosich
ComboKing
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 10:32:27 PM »

If you use the route right it should be night when you are near a poe.
brynnagiadrosich
Regular Guay

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 10:55:16 PM »

If you use the route right it should be night when you are near a poe.

Okay, cool.

Paraxade
Special Guay

paraxade@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 06:21:41 AM »

Yeah the poes are the sole reason why routing 100% for this game is so complicated. :/ You seem like you're on the right track though so best of luck.

For sword & shield skip you mostly just need to pull it off a few times to get the hang of where exactly the bulblin has to be when you want to attack it, and from then on it gets pretty easy. Doing it quickly is still luck-based though :/
brynnagiadrosich
Regular Guay

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 06:55:28 AM »

Yeah the poes are the sole reason why routing 100% for this game is so complicated. :/ You seem like you're on the right track though so best of luck.

For sword & shield skip you mostly just need to pull it off a few times to get the hang of where exactly the bulblin has to be when you want to attack it, and from then on it gets pretty easy. Doing it quickly is still luck-based though :/

Hehe, yeah, the first time I tried it, I was all like "HOW...I DON'T EVEN...", and then I kept studying the video and testing out different angles, and FINALLY got it. Sort of clicked from there. Still difficult to do, but at least I know what to look for.

Yeah, I know I won't be the fastest speedrunner out there for a 100%, but I do want to go as fast as I personally can. Is it okay to post progress in this thread, and maybe post some videos of segments to get help with them? Should I edit the first post to put the videos there, or do a reply?

ComboKing
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 03:54:43 PM »

Yeah post them. Doesn't matter where.
brynnagiadrosich
Regular Guay

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 08:17:49 AM »

I was looking over the guide and saw this:

SEGMENT # 73: Hyrule Castle Town 2.
        * Warp to Castle Town.
        * Catch the bug in the flowers at south [GB #13 Butterfly Male]
ALL GOLDEN BUGS DONE
        * Kill the Poe next to the owl statue [PS #9]
        * Warp to Eldin Bridge and run to Hidden Village.
        * Howling stone.
   * Cat minigame [HP #40]
        * Climb to the roof near the entrance [PS #55]
        * Warp to Castle Town.

* Donate to old man 50x9 + 30x2 rupees [R: 60]
        * Play and beat the star game [CS: Giant Quiver] [R: 45]
        * Donate rest of bugs [CS: Giant Wallet]
ALL UPGRADES DONE
        * Donate 50x4 to old man [HP #15] [HC # 17]
ALL HEARTS DONE
        * Kill Poe on the bridge of west exit [PS #8]
ALL POE SOULS DONE
        * Turn in Poes with Jovani [I: Bottle #4]
ALL ITEMS DONE
        * Enter Hyrule castle.
        * See cut scene.
        * Golden wolf [HS #7 Great Spin]
ALL HIDDEN SKILLS DONE
        * Save inside Hyrule Castle dungeon.

You can see my concern with the cat minigame. Is there a fastest recorded time for that at the moment? And is there anyway I could possibly put that into it's own segment? I was thinking of saving after the warp to castle town. Is there any way this might hurt something down the line? I'd really almost like that to be the start of a segment, because it has the potential danger of going way too long because of cat A.I. I pretty much know the cat locations, but it's when they start following you around there's that mix-up potential.

Thanks for any help/tips on this.

EDIT:

I think I got a rather good first segment, but still need help timing it. I think I got the timing down (like where to start/stop, but I need confirmation. Here's the unlisted video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttdd2XtGA08

DESCRIPTION: Finally got a good herding AND the blue rupee. I was amazed. I would get the blue rupee maybe one out of seven tries. Herding could be better by a few seconds I think, but I'm just happy one didn't go off into la-la land. I'm probably going to try and improve this anyway, just need help with learning how to time this.

I was timing where I gained control of Link up to the exact moment the file saved. Not sure if this is the correct way to time it. Using that system, I got 2:12.12. Please correct if I'm wrong.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 07:58:46 PM by brynnagiadrosich » Logged

JRD05
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 03:40:12 PM »

You seem to be short one rupee according to the route, but I'm sure you can make it up somewhere else.  Also, don't forget to do the BITE glitch after getting the iron boots, it saves some time; idk if it is listed in the route right now though. 
brynnagiadrosich
Regular Guay

WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 06:54:07 PM »

You seem to be short one rupee according to the route, but I'm sure you can make it up somewhere else.  Also, don't forget to do the BITE glitch after getting the iron boots, it saves some time; idk if it is listed in the route right now though. 

There's a rupee under the bridge I can grab if I don't re-do the segment, which I probably will. Just sort of need confirmation on my timing.

How would doing the BITE after getting the iron boots save time in a 100% run?

ComboKing
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 09:59:34 PM »

Your timing is good. I know a trick in the hidden village I'll get a video. Also I'll try to find a route for the cat game. Also you will be able to get rupees in other places if you miss some. I have to edit the route a bit. Search on Youtube for BiTE 100% timesaver.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:01:48 PM by ComboKing » Logged
JRD05
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 10:12:07 PM »

It would eliminate the travel time from the Faron Woods bridge to Kakariko Village.  By doing a BITE off of the Faron Woods bridge, you can go straight to the first fight with King Bulblin.  I believe it saves at least 2 minutes in a run and I think it is discussed further in the other 100% thread.  You can probably find the said video there. 

You can save even more time through doing BITE on a separate game file and then load your speed run.  This way, you can cut out the entire trip from Mayor Bo's house to Kakariko Village.  However, if you are going to submit the run to SDA, you most likely won't be using this method of BITE because it might be a violation of their rules.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:15:08 PM by JRD05 » Logged
brynnagiadrosich
Regular Guay

WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 10:30:48 PM »

Your timing is good. I know a trick in the hidden village I'll get a video. Also I'll try to find a route for the cat game. Also you will be able to get rupees in other places if you miss some. I have to edit the route a bit. Search on Youtube for BiTE 100% timesaver.

Cool, yeah, if you can come up with a route for those, would be awesome. When I get there in my WS run, I'll do some testing too in case you haven't gotten one yet.

It would eliminate the travel time from the Faron Woods bridge to Kakariko Village.  By doing a BITE off of the Faron Woods bridge, you can go straight to the first fight with King Bulblin.  I believe it saves at least 2 minutes in a run and I think it is discussed further in the other 100% thread.  You can probably find the said video there. 

You can save even more time through doing BITE on a separate game file and then load your speed run.  This way, you can cut out the entire trip from Mayor Bo's house to Kakariko Village.  However, if you are going to submit the run to SDA, you most likely won't be using this method of BITE because it might be a violation of their rules.

Okay, searched for the video and I had forgotten about it.

Using the BITE (according to the video), I would save after the iron boots like normal, do the goat herd/heart piece, then save again, which would put me at Bo's house.

This is where I get confused. The video says to load the previous save file, but does logitech mean just load the save file you just saved with the iron boots, or load the file with the save of the goat herding/heart piece? Just for clarification.

Thanks for reminding me about it.

mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 11:19:08 PM »

If I recall correctly, you MUST SAVE INSIDE MAYOR BO'S HOUSE, or else the game will crash when you re-load your save with BiTE. Once you save, head over to the bridge leading to Faron Woods (or nearest OoB), reset to activate BiT, jump of the Bridge of Eldin and activate BiTE, then load the game that you've just saved at Mayor Bo's House.

Simple.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
brynnagiadrosich
Regular Guay

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 11:57:16 PM »

If I recall correctly, you MUST SAVE INSIDE MAYOR BO'S HOUSE, or else the game will crash when you re-load your save with BiTE. Once you save, head over to the bridge leading to Faron Woods (or nearest OoB), reset to activate BiT, jump of the Bridge of Eldin and activate BiTE, then load the game that you've just saved at Mayor Bo's House.

Simple.

awesome, thanks

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: