Author Topic: MM: Question & Answer Thread  (Read 198439 times)

Offline Hathor

• Deku Scrub
Re: MM: Question & Answer Thread
« Reply #320 on: August 07, 2014, 01:49:32 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm currently learning 100% (mostly for fun). I watched Ennopp's PB/WR and I've written the route on this Gdoc.
I decided to share it with you all, hoping it can be usefull to someone (I didn't know where to post it; here seemed to be good).

PS: I'm really sorry for my bad english :s

Offline Apasher

• Regular Guay
« Reply #321 on: August 13, 2014, 08:58:28 PM »
How exactly do I manage my time effectively for 100%? How do I know when is the right time to invert depending on how much time I lost?

Please try use examples for major time-based events (like aliens) if you can. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:00:09 PM by Apasher »

Offline GAP

• Regular Guay
« Reply #322 on: August 23, 2014, 01:24:43 AM »
Does anyone know an easier way to use Goron?

Offline nmaster64

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #323 on: August 23, 2014, 05:10:24 PM »
Does anyone know an easier way to use Goron?

Offline GAP

• Regular Guay
« Reply #324 on: August 23, 2014, 08:27:03 PM »

I guess I deserved that one but still I have a really hard time with Goron's roll as it is tricky with the N64 controller.

Offline Hathor

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #325 on: August 24, 2014, 12:31:43 PM »
I played on VC but personnaly, I release completly the stick when I get full speed (with spikes). Then, I only use left and right in order to turn.

Good luck :)

Offline GAP

• Regular Guay
« Reply #326 on: August 27, 2014, 12:12:56 PM »
Does know what I can do to pass the Swordsman school expert level challenge? I tried using the N64 controller on my VC via converter however the controls are designed with Gamecube in mind. I tried using the Jump Attack method but I always mess on the first log and Jump Attack itself doesn't work for me. I was able to get 28 points but it isn't enough to get the heart piece. Do I need that heart piece or should I just plain cheat?  Is there any easier way to execute the Jump Attack?

Offline thiefbug

• Regular Guay
« Reply #327 on: August 28, 2014, 04:43:42 AM »
if he misses the log altho you targeted it, you simply jumpslashed too early.
you'll notice link turning slightly after a few frames once you hit Z to target

Offline Hathor

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #328 on: November 07, 2014, 03:42:10 PM »
Hello eveyone!
Big question for you all:

I really want to understand well the Bottle Adventure. I had a look at the page but some points remains dark. It also mention screenshots (I guess) about which bytes are modified when you pick up spring water into a bottle dupe over the Ocarina but no link to it :s.
I decided to take a look directly into the RAM (thanks to BizHawk emulator); I expected that all 25bytes were written/replaced those directly after the item slot but it seems that is not the case. I missed something, definitely...

Can someone light me about this? :)

Offline Exodus122

• Regular Guay
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #329 on: November 08, 2014, 05:47:17 PM »

Offline Hathor

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #330 on: November 09, 2014, 08:19:22 AM »
Thanks Exodus!

I understand well this tricks and I also found what I was loking for. The bombers code and the oceanside skullta house code. It's amazing to see that it is simply bytes values. The other unknow values on the link you give are probably the winnig code for the lottery (3 bytes for each day).

Again, thank you! :)

Offline theruseman

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #331 on: November 23, 2014, 12:48:10 AM »
Warning: I may be retarded.

I cannot get Zora Link to use his electric shield while floating in the water. I've tried pressing all combinations of buttons I could think of, individually, 2 at a time, 3 at a time. I can use it when he's shooting forward, or when he's flat on the ground, I just can't do it otherwise. I've been trying for an hour and a half, what am I missing? Gyorg sucks when I have to climb the platform 5 times.

Please help. I'm going insane.

Offline Jeville

• Special Guay
  • "special"
« Reply #332 on: November 23, 2014, 01:20:22 AM »
Japanese version, right? In the water, you can only use the barrier while swimming forward (holding A). You can't use it while just floating.

Offline theruseman

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #333 on: November 23, 2014, 11:25:49 AM »
Well, that explains it.

Thanks!

Offline PuGGy

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #334 on: March 12, 2015, 05:00:33 PM »
Anyone have a link to an any% majoras mask route that is a little more newcomer friendly than the optimal one?

Offline marvino59

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #335 on: March 12, 2015, 10:46:05 PM »
Hello friends!
I've been wanting to try MM runs for a bit now but don't have a Wii atm.
However, I do have a WiiU so I was wondering if it is possible to get JP MM on the Wii Mode? I know you can get homebrew but I don't know much else about it.
Thanks!
Edit: Sorry if this has been asked/answered already, I couldn't find anything about this.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:52:00 PM by marvino59 »

Offline LeonSlider

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #336 on: March 15, 2015, 02:20:51 PM »
Hey guys.
I'm new here and kind of new to speedruns and i found a glitch in Majoras Mask, but im not really sure if this is known or not. (so pls no hating if this is old ;) ).
So i was messing around at pirate fortress. Taking my masks on and off, then i realised that the pirates on those patroling ships were gone. It seems like every time you put on a mask the ship is moving a little bit faster and the pirates are getting pushed back. So if you do it a few times they actually start to fall in the water and stay on the ground.
So i don't think this is usefull at all but kind of interesting. Like i said i have no idea if this is the oldest known glitch in majoras mask or if it really wasn't discoverd yet. (didn't find any post to this)

here is a short video i uploaded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U881pHi5Fuc&feature=youtu.be

does also work in Majoras Mask 3ds
http://i.imgur.com/F4FrdPx.jpg

Offline Masterluigisw

• Regular Guay
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #337 on: March 16, 2015, 10:00:34 AM »
Hey guys.
I'm new here and kind of new to speedruns and i found a glitch in Majoras Mask, but im not really sure if this is known or not. (so pls no hating if this is old ;) ).
So i was messing around at pirate fortress. Taking my masks on and off, then i realised that the pirates on those patroling ships were gone. It seems like every time you put on a mask the ship is moving a little bit faster and the pirates are getting pushed back. So if you do it a few times they actually start to fall in the water and stay on the ground.
So i don't think this is usefull at all but kind of interesting. Like i said i have no idea if this is the oldest known glitch in majoras mask or if it really wasn't discoverd yet. (didn't find any post to this)

Oh so that's why the pirates were gone on 3rd day on 3ds when I failed the long jump skip so much. I don't know I never seen a video of this. I knew the glitch before but never knew why it happened. Thanks.

Offline J3f

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #338 on: March 17, 2015, 11:15:14 AM »
Hey guys.

Transformation Masks cause a significant amount of Lag. This cause some actors to not move in a frame and desync. Then gravity takes over. The same trick is used in the Deku flower game to make the Rupees fall to the ground, in 100%. 

Offline MrKoippa

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #339 on: April 01, 2015, 06:40:33 AM »
Well itīs been a while since I have been here.
Now I have been working on save file that might seem odd,but It helps me to learn tricks(I hope)and my friend wants to play minigames ,beat bosses so..
1:No bombers notebook..I tried three hearts run but by accident got heartpiece from tingle picture.So..
2:All HP available without beating any temple bosses.
3.No other masks just Deku,Goron and Zora.
4 All possible songs(Not Oath to order or Eponas Song)
5:All possible items(including Light arrows,Mirror Shield..All which is not linked to bombers notebook prices or beating temple bosses..But those are on the end side of my learning trip)
6:All maps and compasses
7:All Stray fairies in temples(First one was easy..But for Snowhead the one in the ceiling in room of goron bound pillars..Is this goal possible?)
Now onto the questions/problems
For the record..Iīm playing on N64 PAL EUR-1..
1st:Is there a certain point of flashing when I should shield drop the bomb?It seems mpossible to count it after it start flashing fast.I either get it on my face or Iīm too late?
2nd:When I gave up trying to get that hidden owl straight from the bushes--I went to ECT to practice with chus..I did it on the ledge where you can jump to the next(above the guard).I positioned myself on the corner and started chu hovering towards the flagpole..Now odd thing is that I hovered downwards every time..Step by step..Tried it faster and somehow managed to blow a chu in my face(Should that even be possible?)so what am I doing wrong?Any easy way?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 07:27:47 PM by MrKoippa »

Offline DeliciousSalad

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #340 on: April 07, 2015, 05:27:22 PM »
Hi, I've been practicing tricks for the Any% this past month and for some reason I am having significant trouble with the Ocarina Dive in Woodfall Temple.

I can not for the life of me figure out why I'm not falling down after doing the Zora attack and mashing the ocarina button. Sometimes Zora Link will clip just under the map but then will immediately come back up. No matter how many times I try, I can never get him to actually fall through. Am I missing something here?

I am using the Japanese VC btw

Offline reidenlightman

• Regular Guay
  • I think I'm amazing. I'm not.
« Reply #341 on: April 09, 2015, 11:44:51 PM »
After so many years, I still can't superslide or turn while hovering. Well, I can turn, but i absolutely suck at getting the angle I want. I've listened to guides and read all the tips. I need the absolute-fu**ing-idiot's guide to these so I can really push my time. After speedrunning Majora's Mask 3D and getting 2:13 on my 5th timed attempt, I figured I'll go back to the 1st Zelda game I ever speedran. (1st game was Super Metroid).

Also, recoil flipping is something I haven't been able to do consistently. Whenever I backflip and shield damage rapidly, my momentum just halts after so many pixels. Also, how the hell does certain clipping even work? I want to know everything necessary to do the latest strats.

Everything I have down is basically ISG, bomb hovering, bombchu hovering, long-jumping, ESS bottle dupe if it's the same as 3DS... I think that's it. Sometimes I can do a quick Goht fight, and I'm pretty damn good at Gyorg. Majora, I'm decent at the fight. As it is, I'm still getting boss keys for all four dungeons.
MM3D, sub 2:15 in only 5 runs. I really need a capture board.

Offline MrKoippa

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #342 on: April 17, 2015, 03:46:23 PM »
That freaking sunblock on the well..And my non-existing skills..On three weeks I havenīt got the timing of bomb hovering with this PAL..
I place the bomb with A,on 2nd stab get ISG,Throw the bomb and get damaged..So I have been trying the Mirror shield..ISG and Chu hover(No dice)
Which leaves me with weirdshot..By tutorials Iīm doing something right..But it either stays on the ground..Or crashes with funny images.(Owl feathers,Link floatin middle of white  screen etc)I watched some run on twitch where the guy said he was"overbuffering"?
On GC I got the hovering with chus at least pretty fast..Along with other tricks..I wish there would be a way to beat I kana Castle boss and his minions without Light arrows or Mirror shield..
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:59:04 AM by MrKoippa »

Offline rubixmagic

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #343 on: April 25, 2015, 06:41:16 PM »
Hello everybody. Just a quick question, which version is the jp wii vc of majoras mask? also, which version is the USA n64 cart too. thanks

Offline TaCqz

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #344 on: May 31, 2015, 05:05:02 AM »
Hello Guys,
Im pretty new to Majoraīs Mask, but I want to learn any%. I already know the route and that standard stuff. I just have a simple question:
How should I train it? Should I get the tricks step by step, or by doing the runs over and over again?
I already learned OoT Any%, but itīs too short ^^ I want to learn the MM Any%

TaCqz
You think that the actual Any% route of OoT will be the last one? Haha, that was funny :D

Offline cmcg14

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #345 on: November 22, 2015, 10:18:28 AM »
Hi all. I have just begun practicing any% and I'm struggling a bit with the PF long jump. The thing that is the most frustrating is that I can't seem to consistently get my shield dropped bomb to land on the barrels. Can anyone explain what might be the cause for it just landing on the floor so I can work on that specifically? I am pretty consistent at succeeding once I've done the shield drop properly...

Offline RattleMan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #346 on: November 25, 2015, 03:43:51 PM »
You need to press the shield button at the same time you press the C-button for the bomb. Any delay between the two will cause it to drop normally.

Offline Nynyamo

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #347 on: January 15, 2016, 05:40:45 PM »
So I'm trying to get into this game and I can't get the bomb hover in clocktown to reach the inaccessible owl statue. Is there a trick to chu hovers when you hit the back wall by the staircase, because every time I try and practice I fall down when I hit the back wall.

I think the trick is to do it really fast, but when I try to mimic the top runners I can't get it.

Offline RattleMan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #348 on: January 15, 2016, 05:52:50 PM »
So I'm trying to get into this game and I can't get the bomb hover in clocktown to reach the inaccessible owl statue. Is there a trick to chu hovers when you hit the back wall by the staircase, because every time I try and practice I fall down when I hit the back wall.

I think the trick is to do it really fast, but when I try to mimic the top runners I can't get it.
If you're using the Japanese version, you need to make sure you slash your sword once before beginning the hover. If you're using the English version, try releasing Z after getting high enough (that you don't fall back down to the ground).

Offline Nynyamo

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #349 on: January 15, 2016, 06:54:34 PM »
If you're using the Japanese version, you need to make sure you slash your sword once before beginning the hover. If you're using the English version, try releasing Z after getting high enough (that you don't fall back down to the ground).

I actually am slashing the sword before I attempt it. I'm using the English VC version. Even after releasing z like you suggested, all that happens is when I attempt another chu hop I fall down. Here's a video of my sad attempts. Am I just not getting high enough or am I back flipping to early?

http://youtu.be/lVTS9ExUbSA

Offline RattleMan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #350 on: January 15, 2016, 08:14:23 PM »
I actually am slashing the sword before I attempt it. I'm using the English VC version. Even after releasing z like you suggested, all that happens is when I attempt another chu hop I fall down. Here's a video of my sad attempts. Am I just not getting high enough or am I back flipping to early?

http://youtu.be/lVTS9ExUbSA
I think you might be doing the chu-and-shielding too late into your backflip. To show what I mean, try this: Once you're two hovers off the ground and almost against the wall, backflip and IMMEDIATELY press pause. You should have paused right when Link's hands are pointing up in the air. Now, unpause, and before the game resumes, hold the chu and shield buttons. You should ALWAYS have the chu explode in this case. Now, do another backflip, but wait just a LITTLE bit longer and do the same thing. The chu will always run up the wall. Take a look at https://youtu.be/QIwTHG48LwE to see what I mean.

In addition, it looks like you always try to drop the bomb behind you as you do your first hover off the ground. This is not necessary; you can pull the bomb and shield drop it so that it falls at your feet. As long as the A button doesn't say Grab (which it shouldn't if you're against the wall), you're fine.

Offline Nynyamo

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #351 on: January 16, 2016, 02:08:39 PM »
I think you might be doing the chu-and-shielding too late into your backflip. To show what I mean, try this: Once you're two hovers off the ground and almost against the wall, backflip and IMMEDIATELY press pause. You should have paused right when Link's hands are pointing up in the air. Now, unpause, and before the game resumes, hold the chu and shield buttons. You should ALWAYS have the chu explode in this case. Now, do another backflip, but wait just a LITTLE bit longer and do the same thing. The chu will always run up the wall. Take a look at https://youtu.be/QIwTHG48LwE to see what I mean.

In addition, it looks like you always try to drop the bomb behind you as you do your first hover off the ground. This is not necessary; you can pull the bomb and shield drop it so that it falls at your feet. As long as the A button doesn't say Grab (which it shouldn't if you're against the wall), you're fine.

Thanks RattleMan this was a big help. I was trying to quickly spam the inputs like I would in OOT but there's a timing to it.

For those who had trouble with this as well here's  another video that has inputs to it which helped me:

http://youtu.be/zmD5GzSoiDU

You have to find a button confit where you can quickly tilt your thumb and hit all the inputs one after another very quickly.

Offline empor

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #352 on: January 16, 2016, 07:09:20 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm just starting out this post by saying I've never tried to speedrun anything, and I probably won't post anything else after this, but I've been wondering about a certain possibility I don't think has been explored in any%

So in-game, NPCs who fill bottles with things ignore glitch duped bottles, and fairies in duped bottles don't activate upon death. With this in mind, has it ever been tested whether Hot Spring Water ever cools down if it's in a duped bottle?

If it doesn't, does that mean you could potentially glitch into the grotto on the mountain path, bottle some water, and use it to thaw Goht and therefore skip the Fire Arrows? I'm not sure whether it would save any time as opposed to fighting Wizrobe, but the possibility might exist, and that's something I'm curious about

Offline RattleMan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #353 on: January 16, 2016, 07:52:39 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm just starting out this post by saying I've never tried to speedrun anything, and I probably won't post anything else after this, but I've been wondering about a certain possibility I don't think has been explored in any%

So in-game, NPCs who fill bottles with things ignore glitch duped bottles, and fairies in duped bottles don't activate upon death. With this in mind, has it ever been tested whether Hot Spring Water ever cools down if it's in a duped bottle?

If it doesn't, does that mean you could potentially glitch into the grotto on the mountain path, bottle some water, and use it to thaw Goht and therefore skip the Fire Arrows? I'm not sure whether it would save any time as opposed to fighting Wizrobe, but the possibility might exist, and that's something I'm curious about
Welcome to speedrunning! Unfortunately, it's been tried; Hot Spring Water cannot thaw Goht.

Offline CatlyNat

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #354 on: April 14, 2016, 12:06:57 PM »
Welcome to speedrunning! Unfortunately, it's been tried; Hot Spring Water cannot thaw Goht.

Dear Nintendo, stop making runs less interesting. That's silly D:
Anyhow, I do want to learn MM (I never finished the game though (unless you count warping to Mujuru using cheats), so I do have this simple question for casual; should I do glitchless completely or use glitches? I can bomb hover just fine, no problem, though ISG is a ***), but I do have a simple problem, there is no way I can get a Capture Card for years to come, so I'm forced to use emulator to stream the runs. Anyhow, my question is first of all silly, but are we allowed to change a simple little setting that makes Pause Buffering more like VC? If not that's fine, my second question is;

Are we allowed to have for example the C-Buttons on a Control Stick but also on other buttons to make other stuff such as bomb hovering more comfortable? Hovering on walls using chus is a ***ing nightmare if I use the C-Buttons using a control stick. (Used normal Bombs for Hidden Owl OpieOP )

Also, I have another problem, on PJ64 1.7, MM USA (Will try this on MM JPN tomorrow or in two days), when I enter the room before Hookshot in Pirate Fortress, PJ64 just randomly crashes for no reason at all the moment the cutscene loads, and if it doesn't crash it will just sit there, let the music roll, and take a break, and never let me play again. So if it does end up happening on NTSC-J aswell, is it okay if I change memory type to something else, which fixes this (but makes pause buffering laggier)?

Final question, should I use PJ64 1.6 or 1.7? Thanks for the help if anyone helps :P I'm out again~
Why is Fierce Deity Link OP, btw? ._.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:09:58 PM by CatlyNat »

Offline RattleMan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #355 on: April 18, 2016, 09:55:34 PM »
Dear Nintendo, stop making runs less interesting. That's silly D:
Anyhow, I do want to learn MM (I never finished the game though (unless you count warping to Mujuru using cheats), so I do have this simple question for casual; should I do glitchless completely or use glitches?

It really depends on what you want to do. You'll have more appreciation and knowledge of what you're skipping if you watch a casual glitchless run first.

Anyhow, my question is first of all silly, but are we allowed to change a simple little setting that makes Pause Buffering more like VC?

It's best to leave everything unmodified if you're going to run and record your times. However, any run using Project64 is unable to be verified.

Are we allowed to have for example the C-Buttons on a Control Stick but also on other buttons to make other stuff such as bomb hovering more comfortable? Hovering on walls using chus is a ***ing nightmare if I use the C-Buttons using a control stick. (Used normal Bombs for Hidden Owl OpieOP )

When using an emulator you can configure the buttons in whichever way you want.

Also, I have another problem, on PJ64 1.7, MM USA (Will try this on MM JPN tomorrow or in two days), when I enter the room before Hookshot in Pirate Fortress, PJ64 just randomly crashes for no reason at all the moment the cutscene loads, and if it doesn't crash it will just sit there, let the music roll, and take a break, and never let me play again.

You should consider using the Japanese version, which allows you to skip that cutscene entirely. I've uploaded a video which explains how to do it in that version: https://youtu.be/kmzeLkdmPGw Make sure it's night time when you do this.

So if it does end up happening on NTSC-J aswell, is it okay if I change memory type to something else, which fixes this (but makes pause buffering laggier)?

Again, you shouldn't modify the emulator itself.

Final question, should I use PJ64 1.6 or 1.7? Thanks for the help if anyone helps :P I'm out again~

Myself, I use Project64 1.6. Just make sure you never use 2.0 or above.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:09:13 PM by RattleMan »

Offline graffitiman61

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #356 on: June 12, 2016, 07:29:40 PM »
Hi all, new here, just had a simple question. I'm trying to get 100% stone tower without the elegy. I can't figure out a way to get the fairy that's in one of the chests surrounded by fire. Normally you would use the elegy to hold down a switch that extinguishes the flames. My question is: is there a way to open those chests without putting the flames out? If not is there any way to get all the stray fairies in stone tower without the elegy?

Offline RattleMan

• Regular Guay
« Reply #357 on: June 12, 2016, 09:47:49 PM »
Welcome to ZSR! I've created this tutorial for you on how to get that Stray Fairy: https://youtu.be/vodsAQJ3_Pg
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 11:57:20 PM by RattleMan »

Offline graffitiman61

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #358 on: June 13, 2016, 12:41:19 AM »
wow thank you for the quick response and the awesome vid you posted, I actually applauded when you opened the chest lol. It's a little late but I'm going to attempt this first thing in the morning using the tutorial and I will post my results :) Thanks again RattleMan

Edit: got it on my third try thanks to your tutorial! hopefully now i can get all the items without that ugly mirror shield :) would you mind leaving that video up for future reference?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:11:08 PM by graffitiman61 »

Offline Trindella

• Deku Scrub
« Reply #359 on: December 06, 2016, 09:09:14 PM »
Can someone explain why this soft locked?

https://clips.twitch.tv/majinphil/CooperativeEchidnaDBstyle