ZSR Forums
March 19, 2024, 05:12:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 59
  Print  
Author Topic: OoT / MQ - Question & Answer / Trick Help Thread  (Read 909730 times)
Bonooru
Regular Guay

« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2010, 04:00:06 AM »

ive been try to do a DoT skip for awhile. and i know that im making some really stupid mistake but when i side roll i always seem to travel a little bit forward and when im forward then im no longer in the crack that im trying to get through. any advice?
Elminster
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2010, 05:24:02 PM »

Backflip, and do the sideroll immediately after backflipping. It should kill your momentum so that you don't go forward along the door.

Keeper
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2010, 11:08:44 PM »

I found a way to get to Golden Gaunlets without using the following Items: Bombs, 'chus, Fire Arrows, Hover boots. Requires Longshot xD not too sure if thats a challenge Tongue but I will keep looking Smiley
Elminster
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2010, 11:31:52 PM »

Congratulations on finding the easiest way to get to the Golden Gauntlets.

I guess I'll fill in for ZFG and let you know that it's old.

ToXiKSDA
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2010, 07:40:39 PM »

Hey, I'm pretty new here, just directed here by Runnerguy and Unreal, so could someone help me out? I need some guidelines as to where to start, as in getting used to the glitches. I've managed to get the Forest Escape where you clip through the guard, and I've also pulled off a few Super Slides with the PeaHat outside of the Forest. But, I still have a really hard time with the Cucco Bridge Jump to get into GV, could someone help me like exercises and practices to get used to it? Also, what does RBA stand for? :3
Fweep
Deku Scrub

« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2010, 08:00:20 PM »

Hey, I'm pretty new here, just directed here by Runnerguy and Unreal, so could someone help me out? I need some guidelines as to where to start, as in getting used to the glitches. I've managed to get the Forest Escape where you clip through the guard, and I've also pulled off a few Super Slides with the PeaHat outside of the Forest. But, I still have a really hard time with the Cucco Bridge Jump to get into GV, could someone help me like exercises and practices to get used to it? Also, what does RBA stand for? :3

For the Cucco Jump into GV, Watch this vid. http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/watch?v=MBwjwv4wNqY&feature=related
It's just practice.

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.
You can read more about it here:

http://zeldaspeedruns.com/site/index.php?link=oot/ba/stealing_rod_bottle_B
http://zeldaspeedruns.com/site/index.php?link=oot/ba/rba

Edit:

Okay, that RBA link may still leave you a bit confused. Below is a detailed explanation, that quite possibly leaves you even more confused.

The game keeps track of various things in "memory addresses" which are just numbers that refer to locations in the game's memory. Due to the history of computing, memory addresses are almost always represented in the hexadecimal number system. That means that memory numbers also contain the letters A through F, which can make calculating with them a little weird if you're not used to them. Our number system has 10 digits (0-9) and hexadecimal numbers have 16 digits (0-F).

On the bottom link above, there is a long list of memory addresses. The list starts with 8011A644 which is the memory address that controls the deku stick item slot. As you can see, the list counts up normally until Din's Fire, 8011A649, but then doesn't go to 8011A650 but to 8011A64A. It doesn't reach 8011A650 until 6 addresses later.

What does it mean that 8011A644 controls the deku stick item slot? The deku stick item slot is the slot in your inventory that shows the deku stick picture (where you can select them to put them on C buttons). You can think of a memory address like a safe. The game has this safe, tagged 8011A644, which is empty if you don't have deku sticks, and stores a deku stick if you do.

When you put the inventory menu on the screen, the game checks all those memory addresses and puts a picture of the item that's in there. So if the game would have a bottled bug in the memory address for a deku stick, then when you'd pull out the inventory menu, you'd see a bottled bug where you would normally see deku sticks.

The really cool part about all this is that you can use RBA to do what I just described. You have to try it out before it *really* makes sense. Put a Bottle on B with the instructions in the first link above, put a deku stick on c-right, and catch a bug with the bottle. Then check your inventory. This was a big whoa for us when we first saw it. What just happened? We can overwrite memory addresses! Using this trick we were able to put a bottled bug in the safe that normally stores the deku stick. When the game is showing the inventory, and it goes past all the safes storing inventory menu items, it checks 8011A644. What does it see there? A bottled bug. Then it shows a bottled bug on the screen. It even works like a bottled bug if you select it.

Now, what if we use this trick to overwrite the memory address containing medallions which is tagged 8011A677? If we put a bottled bug in this safe, using RBA, and the game checks what's in there, it will interpret that as:

NO Bolero of Fire
NO Minuet of Forest
NO Light Medallion
Shadow Medallion
Spirit Medallion
Water Medallion
NO Fire Medallion
Forest Medallion

The reason the game interprets a bottled bug as those medallions has to do with the binary numeral system which isn't really important. If you are curious, you can try to make sense of it on the RBA chart http://zeldaspeedruns.com/site/index.php?link=oot/ba/rba#quest. It may help to know that Bottled bug is 29 or 00011101 in binary.

Having the Shadow and Spirit medallions triggers the light arrows cutscene, which means we can get the light arrows and go beat gannon after doing the above RBA. This is incredibly useful in an any% speedrun, allowing us to beat the game in close to one hour!

Final thing. I've told you that you can overwrite your deku sticks item slot (8011A644) by putting deku sticks on c-right. What do you put on c-right to get at 8011A677? Looking at the chart, it says: Broken Goron Sword on C-right (adult-only). So if we put broken goron sword on C-right, and catch a bug, we'll have the shadow and spirit medallions.

If you're wondering by what magic Broken Goron Sword equals 8011A677, I'll give you a small hint. Looking at the item numbers, http://zeldaspeedruns.com/site/index.php?link=oot/ba/itemchart, we see that Broken Goron Sword is 51. If we add 51 to 8011A644, you might think we get 8011A695, but you'd be wrong. This is hexadecimal, so have to calculate differently. Normal number 51 would be 33 in hexadecimal. You can verify that by doing 3x16 + 3 = 51. If we add 33 to 8011A644, what do we get? That's right! 8011A677, the memory address storing medallions.

You might also find this one useful
http://zeldaspeedruns.com/site/index.php?link=oot/ba/rba_calculator

Especially in understanding the below run, you might want to try the calculator with "catch a bug" and Poacher's saw as well. It's used with the magic fairy in Death Mountain.

http://zeldaspeedruns.com/site/index.php?link=oot/speedruns/fullgame_runs_pages/pokey_any_ss
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:22:57 PM by Fweep » Logged
Exodus122
Regular Guay

« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2010, 08:04:42 PM »

For the Cucco Jump into GV, Watch this vid. http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/watch?v=MBwjwv4wNqY&feature=related
It's just practice.

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.
You can read more about it here:

http://zeldaspeedruns.com/site/index.php?link=oot/ba/stealing_rod_bottle_B
http://zeldaspeedruns.com/site/index.php?link=oot/ba/rba

Rare Bird Adventure

Lol... It's Reverse Bottle Adventure. The blue cucco (Cojiro) is not required to use it. What you need is a bottle on your B button. When you catch something in this bottle, items in your inventory, equipment, or quest status screens change. The changes made depend on what you catch and which item is equiped your C-right.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 12:05:52 AM by Exodus122 » Logged

Enterim
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2010, 10:36:16 PM »

I'm not sure why you explained the hexadecimal system in such a roundabout manner, it's a lot easier to understand if you simply know what it is. Instead of having 10 digits, (0-9), hexadecimal (or hex) has 16: 0-F.

That's a good explanation. The RBA calculator is also very helpful.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:37:36 PM by Enterim » Logged
Bonooru
Regular Guay

« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2010, 01:35:24 AM »

An easier method to do the cuccoo jump is with pause buffering. the method is explained in the description
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqEjFjxU59A
Bonooru
Regular Guay

« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2010, 01:39:00 AM »

something weird is happening. when i was trying to get isg off a pot or bomb i will see the animation of picking it up and see the white aura when the sword is sheathed but i dont get isg. any ideas of whats going on?

(i know double posting is bad form but this shouldnt be grouped with the above post)
Elminster
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2010, 06:30:43 AM »

All I can think of is that you're holding R for too long after picking the object up and you're not holding Z, which causes you to crouch and lose ISG.

Bonooru
Regular Guay

« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2010, 04:29:20 PM »

that was it, thanks
TLoZSR
Regular Guay

Working on Skyward Sword: segmented and rta

Email
« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2010, 06:31:05 AM »

Hello, I'm pretty new to Zelda speed running, although I have been lurking around the forums for a while. I'm working on an any% RTA run and I was wondering if there is anyway to RBA light arrows.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2010, 08:19:18 AM »

Hello, I'm pretty new to Zelda speed running, although I have been lurking around the forums for a while. I'm working on an any% RTA run and I was wondering if there is anyway to RBA light arrows.

I don't think you can use Reverse Bottle Adventure to modify the C-Item equipment screen, but I'm not 100% sure about that. However, I know for a fact that you cannot use RBA to obtain any C-Item that you don't already have. The way RBA works is that it overwrites some value with the item value of the item on B. Since RBA only seems to work when an item overwrites itself when it's on B, and only items that do that are bottles, the only items that could possibly be RBA'd in the C-Item equipment screen would be bottles.

You can use Bottle Adventure to put light arrows on B, but i doubt that'll be much use.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Enterim
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2010, 07:22:41 PM »

Just RBA the Shadow and Spirit Medallions (Broken Biggoron Sword on C-right, catch a bug/fairy/fish/blue fire with B-bottle). When you go the Temple of Time, you'll receive them from Zelda.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 59
  Print  

Jump to: