Author Topic: Frame Data and New, Possibly Useless Tech  (Read 496 times)

Offline Jacko

• Deku Scrub
Frame Data and New, Possibly Useless Tech
« on: February 15, 2017, 10:05:49 PM »
I'm currently trying to write down the frame data for every conceivable thing in Majora's Mask via pause buffering, even the useless crap that nobody cares about, like the frame data for Tatl's wings flapping and Link's idle animations.

While screwing around in Mountain Village trying to find out new frame data to write, I found out that if you pause on a specific part of the running animation, the sliding due to ice physics is canceled. This also works with rolls, sidehops, and walking sideways while Z-targeting.

For simplicity's sake, I'm calling this tech Slide Canceling.

A roll is about 12 frames, I think. And when I wrote it down, a run cycle is 10 to 11 frames. To cancel the sliding animation, start pausing about 3 or 4 frames before the roll ends. I don't know the specific frame data for cancelling the ice physics for a run cycle, but right after you let go of the analog stick, (about 1 or 2 frames) start pausing.

Overall, I don't know if my data is accurate, but I plan on testing it for accuracy after the first tests of every conceivable thing in Majora's Mask.

Did anyone know about this weird tech before I posted this?

Offline scaramanga

• Regular Guay
Re: Frame Data and New, Possibly Useless Tech
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 03:36:16 AM »
Yes, this works in OoT, too. I always assumed the reason is, that if you unequip Hover Boots, the sliding should stop, so they might have implemented that in a lazy manner. In MM this would be a mere leftover.

Offline Jacko

• Deku Scrub
Re: Frame Data and New, Possibly Useless Tech
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 05:30:24 AM »
I don't really care for OoT, so this was new to me. Thought I had discovered something, even though I knew it would be in OoT as well. MM only had one year of development, so of course it has some broken, weird, and borderline lazy stuff in it.