Author Topic: Just Started Learning  (Read 220 times)

Offline SpectralChimaera

• Deku Scrub
Just Started Learning
« on: January 16, 2017, 09:01:12 PM »
Hey guys, completely new to Zelda Speedruns and I've picked MM3D as my first game. I'm a little stuck on the first major trick I'm learning which is the Gainer, I've watched the tutorials etc, but i was wondering if there were other ways of learning, cause idk why but i'm not getting it.

Thanks in advance

Offline Zoro

• Regular Guay
Re: Just Started Learning
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 09:55:44 PM »
This depends on whether you're doing it buffered or unbuffered. Buffered, (assuming you have a N3DS for frame-perfect buffering) you want to hold L, buffer, let go of L and hold back and a on the return, buffer, let go of both and hold L and forward, and unpause. You'll return and grab the ledge out of your gainer. With unbuffered, there's nothing to it but to practice, since the game is higher frame rate than the N64 version the trick is more difficult to time. Try to mimick the inputs of unbuffered and do them as fast as possible. I can't recall any necessary gainers in the any% run other than the one up to clock tower, but you can do a turning backflip there instead of gainer so you don't have to pause to time it.